Will a decat give me boost creep

Gainzy your telling the man 420 to fit all this just for a decat... minus the cost of a decat? Lol. Your scaring the fella.

Dan ive never ever hit boost cut since i ported my wastegate and a new actuator believe it or not. Even in winter.

I meant port the turbo wastegate not the manifold lol. Thats whatll reduce creep. But as said external wastegate is better for controlling boost Hands down, also dearer. If you just want a decat with no creep, port the wastegate for free with a dremel. Job done.

Mate it's coming to Christmas let the lad treat himself to some parts haha! I don't think my routes a bad way to go. There's nothing wrong in spending decent cash on decent parts.. £10/20 gauges and fiddling with boost levels is not ideal to me, pay for a stepper motor or a decent hks one that's been calibrated more accurate it can cost a piston if you can't afford the ecu just stay below 0.85 boost level as that's fuel cut won't have to port the wastegate with plug n play. The plug n play will be one of the best mods to do if I bought another starlet it would be the seconds thing I'd buy over a decent gauge I'm not saying your wrong in any way going external wastegates even more expensive than what I'm suggesting lol but your right :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know you meant the turbo wastegate lol, I might give it a bash with a dremel but i'd probably need a full day to get the turbo off, get it done and all back together again, and that's if I think I can trust myself to not fuck it up haha

I would do that but couldn't boost creep still put it past whatever I set it to and eventually up to fuel cut? Sorry for being such a noob I'm learning as I go :D I've got a standard exhaust, some random cone filter that was on the car when I bought it, but that's in the standard air box location (to the right of the engine) and no I don't have a fmic yet either :/ all in good time though

The standard airflow is fine you will be safe fitting the decat it's as soon as you increase boost it can complicate things especially with the stock intercooler. Best choice of decat you got! Since you aint got the exhaust system go for that next get the gasses out quicker forget about upping the boost yet mate I'd wait exhaust then fmic.

-2.5 exhaust

-Short route fmic

-decent dump valve..hks

-decent boost gauge hks defi sard apexi blitz

-filter relocation shorter route

-Fit manifold with hks actuator 0.8 bar

-Piggy back ecu or plug n play set actuator to a bar

this is one route of many you can take. The only way you can go wrong is playing with high boost with no map or using shite gaskets look at build threads.

From what your saying I don't think you'll suffer from boost creep, not with pretty much standard intake, exhaust and intercooler.

I get a bit of creep atm, but it seems to stop about .8

Just waiting on my wepr ewg mani kit then I'll be sorted :)

Its sketchy turning the boost up, or doing so by mistake ie creep. When you are still using the standard non ported exhaust manifold, have you seen runner 3 on a standard manifold? Its as tight as fuck! Pretty dangerous to the engine at any more than standard boost.

Theres a few ways to do this.

My advice, from messing about with starlets for the best part of a few years.. do it once and do it right.

Ive made silly mistakes with modding starlets, not the same as yourself, and its cost me 2 engines..

Mate it's coming to Christmas let the lad treat himself to some parts haha! I don't think my routes a bad way to go. There's nothing wrong in spending decent cash on decent parts.. £10/20 gauges and fiddling with boost levels is not ideal to me, pay for a stepper motor or a decent hks one that's been calibrated more accurate it can cost a piston if you can't afford the ecu just stay below 0.85 boost level as that's fuel cut won't have to port the wastegate with plug n play. The plug n play will be one of the best mods to do if I bought another starlet it would be the seconds thing I'd buy over a decent gauge I'm not saying your wrong in any way going external wastegates even more expensive than what I'm suggesting lol but your right :)

Dont get me wrong gainzy thats the best way to go i.e ecu etc. Im only saying it because he wasnt gonna fit the decat as it sounded expensive I was just tryin to point out the cheapest way :)

Dans alsoade a good point..in the stock mani the restriction in runner 3 is hugeee and theres also a lump in runner 2 so a free flowing manifold is not only better for response/power but healthier on the engine.

Porting the wastegate is a must if running standard ct9 without ext w/g ecu or no ecu.

P&p just helps to roughly adjust the fueling to help but without porting the w/g it can still spike and cause damage.

Whip your turbo kit off. Take off the arse end of your turbo close the penny over and spray it with paint so u can see the mark left by the penny port it out with a dremmel almost as far as you can got without neutralising its ability to seal.

Clean and refit and job done you shouldnt need to worry bout creep.

Biggest cause of creep is airfilter location, yours is in a restrictive location so with it ported youll be fine.

The standard airflow is fine you will be safe fitting the decat it's as soon as you increase boost it can complicate things especially with the stock intercooler. Best choice of decat you got! Since you aint got the exhaust system go for that next get the gasses out quicker forget about upping the boost yet mate I'd wait exhaust then fmic.

-2.5 exhaust

-Short route fmic

-decent dump valve..hks

-decent boost gauge hks defi sard apexi blitz

-filter relocation shorter route

-Fit manifold with hks actuator 0.8 bar

-Piggy back ecu or plug n play set actuator to a bar

this is one route of many you can take. The only way you can go wrong is playing with high boost with no map or using shite gaskets look at build threads.

Right ok, well wouldn't a decent exhaust system increase boost creep even more? Along with some of the other mods you listed? and I don't plan on increasing boost yet but boost creep will do that on it's own and damage things which is kinda why I started this thread haha. I think porting the wastegate sounds ideal for me because it's free primarily, but I'll probably be getting a plug and play at some point too! :thumbsup: and yeah I'll buy genuine gaskets, cheers for the heads up on that one

From what your saying I don't think you'll suffer from boost creep, not with pretty much standard intake, exhaust and intercooler.

I get a bit of creep atm, but it seems to stop about .8

Just waiting on my wepr ewg mani kit then I'll be sorted :)

Lucky you! How much did that cost?

Its sketchy turning the boost up, or doing so by mistake ie creep. When you are still using the standard non ported exhaust manifold, have you seen runner 3 on a standard manifold? Its as tight as fuck! Pretty dangerous to the engine at any more than standard boost.

Theres a few ways to do this.

My advice, from messing about with starlets for the best part of a few years.. do it once and do it right.

Ive made silly mistakes with modding starlets, not the same as yourself, and its cost me 2 engines..

Right well I do have a speedvision mani so I could put that on at the same time to solve the mani problem right? Then port the wastegate and be pretty much done?

Aye do that and keep the airfilter where it is.

The intercooler and exhaust are still standard yeah?

Then fingers crossed you 'should' be fine at standard boost. Ie not creeping to FC levels.

Unless you are tanning along foot to the floor in -7°C or something haha.

Aye do that and keep the airfilter where it is.

The intercooler and exhaust are still standard yeah?

Then fingers crossed you 'should' be fine at standard boost. Ie not creeping to FC levels.

Unless you are tanning along foot to the floor in -7°C or something haha.

Yeah standard intercooler and exhaust for now, I'll try and get hold of a decent boost gauge though!

Lol yeah I'll keep my foot steady whilst it's cold haha :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running blitz decat, apexi cat back, autobahn intercooler and a meshed ct9 with no filter and no boost problems at all holds rock solid and no fuel cut at all

what boost pressure you running I take it you have an adjustable actuator set well below fuel cut ?
  • 2 weeks later...

What boost have you it running on? My engine light used to pop on after full boost but found out that it was my speed sensor on the gearbox it wasn't connected, get some copper wire with insulation still on it strip off both ends so you have two copper ends and bridge TE1 and E1 in your diagnostics port and have someone look at the engine light on your dash and count the flashes, there'll be a series of flashes then a pause then another series of flashes for example 3 flashes and a pause then 2 flashes will mean the code is 32, that should give you your fault code for the engine light mate

mine is doing this it wont go past 6k revs without engine light coming on and engine making a judder noise :(

Sure you don't have an adjustable actuator that's set too high? Or maybe if you have an exhaust or decat or a well placed intake or something like that that might just make it go over boost cut especially at 6k revs when it's cold like it is? I'm not sure, just my 2 cents :thumbsup: