Distributor leaking onto thermostat housing

Hey guys and girls.

So I am changing a few seals on the gt and the dizzy seems to be leaking in the thermostat housing. So me being my inquisitive self I stripped another dizzy to see what's actually going on in there. I found this.......

9D20963D-541B-45DF-901C-0A8EB7E6E574.jpg

EF0EB411-83A4-4BFB-83B0-3EAA40BD7AB1.jpg

AC959306-3FB7-4B3D-89B8-05B3052362B7.jpg

The bearing is semi sealed, open to the rear. This isn't the problem though as I've found these online.

The problem is the seal. The number on the seal reads kcr 175. It measures roughly 20mm OD x 10mm ID x 5mm deep. I'm struggling to find a seal to prevent the dizzy leaking again. The rubber in the seal has gone brittle and hard causing a lack of seal.

Any ideas where to get a seal?

Cheers for the replys people.

Just to clarify, the seal is smaller than the sealed bearing. It sits behind the bearing and the bearing is open to the rear. I.e the sealed bearing is only sealed on one side and the "cage" is open towards the smaller seal.

If you remove the dizzy from the head you will see two tapered openings on the top of the dizzy. I'm guessing this is to guide oil into the housing to lubericate the shaft. Problem is there's no where for the oil to drain back out of this housing and back to the sump. The easiest way for the oil to go is pool up behind the seal and leak out from the bearing side.

So my theory is to drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the housing to allow oil to still lubericate the shaft but instead of pooling it can slowly drain back into the head/sump.

I've already replaced the rocket cover seal and the external dizzy 'o' ring. This is the only seal I can see leaking 😕

Last night I cleaned off the suspected area with brake cleaner and found that the cam caps were sealed. (Little half moon piece) also the rocker cover gasket seemed sealed. After 20 mins of running I couldn't find a leak. So turned off and kept watching. I found oil started dripping slowly from the drain hole in the bottom of the dizzy. Found it!

Bean, do you have a part number for that seal for the gt4?

Also any sizes that you may have wrote down somewhere would be a help 👍🏻

Ollie, I think now that the seal that's internal has gone hard/brittle causing the leak. Hopefully I will be able to find a decent replacement and solve another one of the problems with the sieve u have for an engine 😂

• 3 months later...

Check out these, any of them do the trick?

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=0&sort=2a&search_3fields=1&keywords1=10&keywords2=20&keywords3=5&osCsid=d942a89320c90fad97a614d277b1648e

I always buy "generic" seals and bearings, usually from my local bearings place but I've ordered a few times from simply bearings and theve been spot on.

I've paid £3.80 for a bearing KTM wanted £45 for and it was the EXACT same bearing make,etc.. Just didn't come in a KTM pack.

If you want to replace the bearing with the single seal just buy a bearing the right size with 2 seals and carefully pry one of the seals out with a tiny screwdriver or something, the rubber seals come out pretty easy,obviously be carefully not to damage the bearing.

Edited by RabNo1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have split my dizzy apart as i too was suffering this issue (oil leaking from centre of dizzy)

£16 delivered for the seal

will update photo and details where to buy from once it arrives

Have you a part number for the seal as mine is leaking out the dizzy now too