c63 or c52, decision time!

Ive got a dilemma here! i have a white starlet shell i intend to build up in the near future to a good 300 odd hp, and a green all original project that im in the process of converting to manual. for these two cars i have a c63 from a mk7 celica, and a c52 with a mechanical lsd from my old advance, and ive no idea which gearbox should go in which car lol.

Is the c63 tough enough to deal with a good bit of power, or should it go in the green car so i can put the known to be pretty tough c52 in the white?

Is it a waste to put a mechanical lsd into a bone stock car?

I need some advice!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what i wanna do, just voicing concern peeps might not think putti g a 6 speed in is sympathetic to the cars nature. Found the c63 has a silly tall final drive, how interchangeable are flthe final drives in c series boxes?

heres another thought, the selector arms are mounted on top of the gearbox instead of the back of it like the starlet's, will I need to convert it or could i get away with leaving it where it is? i don't think it fouls anything, can anybody shed any light on it!

Someone must have an idea surely. By the look of things the splines are actually part of the diff unit itself, if i swap the diff out for a uk starlet's diff, will it sort the spline issue out?

Get a 6 speed c160 out of a levin bzr, if you want the 6 speed swap the bellhousing over. Or do what i did, take the lsd out of the c160 and fit it in the C5x.

Could you fit the c63 gearset to the c160 box and fit the c52 bellhousing ?

That what I want to know lol

Phil

My c52 has a mechanical lsd in it, i was going to just swap it over to my c63 as i read up that they were the same. I dont want a c160 as ive heard from many places now that theyre made of chocolate and dont like power. So i couldnt just dump the c52 lsd in the c63 and keep its og ring gear? I wonder if i could just use celica driveshafts?

Edited by Chops

I think you would need a lot of modifications, even the diameter of the bearings either side of the diffs are different between the two. Even the pcd of the diffs are diffrent so you couldnt even swap the ring gear from one diff to the other without modification. the c5x is 8x131mm, c6x is 8x140mm.