NightSpirit Trackstar....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've now dropped the fuel tank off with a local fabricator, my attentions have turned to the engine bay...

P1080415.jpg

P1080416.jpg

P1080431.jpg

Sadly, I found some plugs that didn't go anywhere (on purpose) and decided now was a good time to remove yet more unwanted copper.

P1080432.jpg

P1080435.jpg

P1080434.jpg

P1080436.jpg

There's still a whole lot of work to be done and I'm now tackling more than one area at once as Christmas approaches :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice progress mate.. Any reason you've had the PVC blocked off? And are only running the one breather. in my opinion I'd gut the PVC valve and run that as a breather aswell, as the fte breather setup is gesh and can hardly handle it on a standard engine lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Evening...update!

Rob, I've not bothered with a second breather as it's pointless in my opinion. Remember, HRF ran 427hp through that cam cover using 1 breather :)

Several updates for you, all pictures and no words because it's late and I'm knackered these days. Can you guess what I'm doing?

P1080442.jpg

P1080448.jpg

P1080450.jpg

P1080451.jpg

P1080455.jpg

P1080456.jpg

P1080461.jpg

P1080462.jpg

Haha!

I've finished tidying up all the redundant wires and plugs in the engine bay and re-routed the sensor wires that were just running over the camcover!

The IC, rad and oil cooler are now all removed and cleaned.

The rad needs brackets welding into place then I can fit up the rad, plumb it in, wire up the rad fan.

Refit the filter and pipe.

Refit the I/C

Relocate the oil cooler to the front offside wing to reduce weight and give a clear path to the rad.

Refit the exhaust hanger.

Modify the bumper to channel air to the rad and oil cooler.

Fit fuel tank, line, FPR, filter.

Turn the key 0_o

Plan is to get the rad welded into place sunday, then I can refit everything and crack on with the oil cooler. The chap with the fuel tank is fucking about so I'm not sure what's happening there...that's stopping me from plumbing all the fuel lines in etc.

On a side note, anyone got a spare washer bottle or pump for washer bottle? mines knackered :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

New update...been busy with lots of tiny things

Fuel tank (25ltr) with original Blitz pump and housing

P1080520.jpg

Fuel tank sprayed up and the wiring/fitting commences...

P1080546.jpg

Oil cooler relocated to the drivers side to free up flow to the radiator and shift some weight around

P1080533.jpg

Welding up the rad brackets

P1080542.jpg

Fucking, bastard, shite tape crap that's all over the OEM loom

P1080545.jpg

More wire found that serves no purpose...bin

P1080544.jpg

530g washer bottle? 250g piss bag please...run to the boot to shift weight

P1080536.jpg

P1080537.jpg

I've realised that getting sub 700kg is not easy...

It's more about shifting weight now to change the dynamic index of the car to handle better :(

Finish it, track it, maybe take it to the Ring next year on a trailer and crash like a hero.

This is looking better all the time. Bet you can't wait to get this finished and driveable again.

Know what you mean about moving weight about, although im the opossite. I have about 80% weight at the rear and 20% up front. :D

Keep up the good work dude this is just simply awsome!!!!! :(

Jason :D

I'd say the EP is about 65% at the front...there isn't much else I can strip or shift. If the rear wing and roll cage cross beam went I'd save another 15kg or so but without the wing on the back it'd swap ends before I started the engine.

I'd say the EP is about 65% at the front...there isn't much else I can strip or shift. If the rear wing and roll cage cross beam went I'd save another 15kg or so but without the wing on the back it'd swap ends before I started the engine.

Its all very well being light as a feather but like you say if it don't handle then not worth it.

Mine is super light but we have added extra weight and re-enforced it as safety is a big issue. Probably added 30kg in extra weight if not more but will be weight well spent.

I love this project as the attention to detail and the well thought out modifications are just superb!

Its all very well being light as a feather but like you say if it don't handle then not worth it.

Mine is super light but we have added extra weight and re-enforced it as safety is a big issue. Probably added 30kg in extra weight if not more but will be weight well spent.

I love this project as the attention to detail and the well thought out modifications are just superb!

This is an epic project mate really am loving it.just a quick question have you had any probs with the screamer pipe snappin at all as i hav a sard mani and hav been thinkin about puttin a flexi in to avoid cracking it.you got a picks of where u braced it if u hav that is.thanks

I'd like to get the weight right down then add ballast if it needs it, where it needs it :(

As always thanks for the kind words!

About 15 months ago the manifold blew a hole and cracked in a few places...that's when all this started. The screamer seems ok, the brace is near the top and at the bottom is a brace to the gearbox housing.

I'd like to get the weight right down then add ballast if it needs it, where it needs it :(

As always thanks for the kind words!

About 15 months ago the manifold blew a hole and cracked in a few places...that's when all this started. The screamer seems ok, the brace is near the top and at the bottom is a brace to the gearbox housing.

yea i noticed that well on my one the original owner never braced it and it kept snappin off on the screame pipe so ive gotta clean up the messy welding and try to brace it to prevent it crackin again.im thinkn bwt getting it ceramic coated to save the mani.

yea i noticed that well on my one the original owner never braced it and it kept snappin off on the screame pipe so ive gotta clean up the messy welding and try to brace it to prevent it crackin again.im thinkn bwt getting it ceramic coated to save the mani.

I originally wrapped mine in the top X-Wrap stuff...the only bit not wrapped cracked. So I decided now to let it breath through the vent in the bonnet and leave as is. Never had a mani coated, so unsure how/if it'll save the welds.

I originally wrapped mine in the top X-Wrap stuff...the only bit not wrapped cracked. So I decided now to let it breath through the vent in the bonnet and leave as is. Never had a mani coated, so unsure how/if it'll save the welds.

neither hav i but i knw the sard manis are very vunerable to cracking as they used 304 grade stainless and i think the coating prevents the mani from getting to hot.i maybe wrong but ill soon find out haha