Is a baffeled sump & oil cooler a must have for track use

Wel lad just wondering if many of ye or using your starlets on the track without a baffled sump and an oil cooler, I heard of people putting in an extra half liter of oil when on the track, also I have not got much or any room for an oil cooler adaptator with my turbo, thanks in advance

With a 16 row cooler, I struggle to get oil temperature into my car unless ambient temperatures are high, even then it's not until later in the day. If you're going to be using it on the road, then you'll also need a thermostat for the oil cooler. I find that covering half of the oil cooler with some foil works, I'm in the middle of rebuilding my engine, once that's done I'll be moving to a smaller oil cooler, and thermostat so I don't have to faff about covering the 16 row.

I have a baffled sump, it's a simple thing done by RW. I'd like to move to a trapdoor style baffle system, but finding someone who doesn't charge you the earth to make one is proving difficult.

With a 16 row cooler, I struggle to get oil temperature into my car unless ambient temperatures are high, even then it's not until later in the day. If you're going to be using it on the road, then you'll also need a thermostat for the oil cooler. I find that covering half of the oil cooler with some foil works, I'm in the middle of rebuilding my engine, once that's done I'll be moving to a smaller oil cooler, and thermostat so I don't have to faff about covering the 16 row.

I have a baffled sump, it's a simple thing done by RW. I'd like to move to a trapdoor style baffle system, but finding someone who doesn't charge you the earth to make one is proving difficult.

I to struggle with oil temps because of my cooler its huge got half covered and see just over 75c most of the time haha

Yeh, they seem to run pretty cool.. I suppose there's plenty of airflow around the engine with it being so small, etc. 75 would be too cool for me, I like to see upwards of 85 before I'm really happy, it's not until then that moisture in the oil would start to boil away.

My mocal gives me 90c on a 16 row but mines a 1800cc I would definately use a baffled sump if using r888 or a048, normal road tyres ad08 etc haven't enough grip to worry about oil surge unless you are a fucking shit hot driver

It's all relative.

Unless you use at least semi slick tyres, you don't need a baffled sump.

Unless you're seeing oil temperatures reach 120 degrees C for periods of time, an oil cooler isn't needed.

Test first, and put the money elsewhere.

You can get a sandwich plate which sits between the block and the oil filter which will have a couple of bungs on it, you can insert the sensors there for temperature and pressure.

Most of the traders do them or can get them.

Edited by AdamB

Baffled sump yes, see how you get on with regards to oil temps first. I have my oil cooler covered for road use and see 75c easy driving. On track I recently left it covered and it sat nicely at 90c

Edited by Amjad

Whether you need it or not a baffled sump is a good thing to have regardless of tyres....lmao.

If you've got tyres that can't even pull 1g while cornering which most road tyres can't, then explain to me why you would need a baffled sump?

It's not a bad idea to have one, but for the sake of possibly a couple of trackdays a year, the money can be better spent elsewhere as it's not a necessity...

Sorry I forgot everyone on forums designs and builds race cars for a living... lmao

If you've got tyres that can't even pull 1g while cornering which most road tyres can't, then explain to me why you would need a baffled sump?

It's not a bad idea to have one, but for the sake of possibly a couple of trackdays a year, the money can be better spent elsewhere as it's not a necessity...

Sorry I forgot everyone on forums designs and builds race cars for a living... lmao

This ! It's pretty hard to push a set of r888's or ao48's to the point of needing a baffled sump without being very good on a track as it is, and unless you have an extremely well setup car and the capability to drive it property road tyres no matter how good they are wont get close.

I'd just get an oil cooler if you want either of the two so you can stay out on track all day :)

Clearly my reply said, whether you need it or not a baffled is a good thing to have especially on a track.

If you like I will explain to you what a baffled sump does but I'm assuming you already know that since google is only a click away and you BUILD RACE CARS FOR A LIVING.

Its insurance your car should always be kept with a constant oil feed, on your theory whats the point in wearing seatbelts since no one intends to crash.

In any case keep your fucking cheek to yourself you little mug.

Getting heated about very little lads.

Whether your right or wrong aside Stu, I don't know your history with Adam but based on this thread you were the first person to laugh your ass off at someone else.

Pretty cheeky to be fair.

Need to get on abit better lads- It's in nobody interest to get wound up online.

Phil

Edited by Phil

Getting heated about very little lads.

Whether your right or wrong aside Stu, I don't know your history with Adam but based on this thread you were the first person to laugh your ass off at someone else.

I reckon it was a typo for Imo.

Yup Daniel could have been a misunderstanding or typo for sure

But the way the thread developed isn't right.

It's a forum for all the read

If someone searches for info on baffled sumps or oil coolers this will appear - isn't really a great presentation of the starlet community

Phil

Edited by Phil

If someone searches for info on baffled sumps or oil coolers this will appear - isn't really a great presentation of the starlet community

Phil

If some searches baffled sumps they'll see Adam basically belittling the community, because we dont all build race cars for a living.. and Stu then putting him in his place.

If some searches baffled sumps they'll see Adam basically belittling the community, because we dont all build race cars for a living.. and Stu then putting him in his place.

that is your take on it and fair enough.

You have highlighted the emphasis I was getting at inadvertently - they search for A but find an arguement.

Your position was pretty clear already as you were quick to defend/slag up above.

I'm not saying Adam or Stu or you are blameless I just was pointing out that Stu lost the rag somewhat when really it seems like he was the first person to be rude (Adams belittling coming after stu's initial lmao (typo perhaps?)

I can see how it has all developed same as anyone and really I'm not that interested except to say we can do better.

Even I can do better. Like what am I even hoping to achieve here 🙈

Phil

Edited by Phil