Sad sad news for one member of the 'Ring trip

cheers everyone. I'm going to be a grouchy bear for the next couple of days+

th_CarCrashEP82-270708.jpg

As you can see, it doesn't capture the speed difference in vehicles as well as I would have hoped and it's hard to judge my speed just before the crash but I wasn't moving anywhere near as fast as she was.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was clearly not fucking looking, taking up nearly all of the road on what looks like a blind bend?

Her sun visor thing is up aswell, I would say she was looking in the mirror but they don't usually have mirrors on drivers sides...

Same cam as me, Matt gave me the idea to get the POV1. Mounted in the front grille. I drive a similar road every morning and every now and then you get a complete tool (usually a young woman in a mini or saxo) doing 40+ with no concept of speed or danger.

I'm sure we'll keep you posted.

I like your exclamation Matt 'JESUS' <_<

thats just disgraceful!

i could clearly see matt pulled right in by the weeds.. where was the cam? central? as the cam was right on edge. but her.. she was about a foot or two from the verge! dosey mare.

i hope you get it sorted before the ring <_<

OUCH <_<

The cam was under my number plate, on the left hand side (when sat in the car), so furthest away from the action. Shame it wasn't on the right hand side. The general consensus seems to be that you guys can pick up that I pulled right over the to left and she was travelling much faster - all good for my pursuit of getting this sorted at the least expense.

As for using gods name, I apologise. I failed to leave on the rest of the recording. I spent about 1 minute in my car using clever combinations of SH@@, Fu@@ and very clever, fu@k Sh@t

Update -

I have arranged for the insurers to store the car at my house - TODAY! rather than transfer it to their selected garage of choice.

They have also commented that it looks like one of the following is going to happen:

1. - most likely - engineer is going to write the car off as cat c or cat d. Me to receive 80% of car value (going to have to watch them like a hawk during this part)

2. - potentially classed as Cat B write-off - the car will have to be crushed but I may be able to liaise with storage company over removing parts from the car. With the car in my possession, this looks promising.

I have also sent the pics and video to the insurance company.

sorry to cast a dark shadow mate, but when i phoned the insurance to chase them for my settlement i was told the insurance company have 3 months to sit with their thumb up their arse and laugh at me.

i really hope you can get it to the ring man

i can't believe that is a write off...

i hope you pied her to death....

Well if it's a cat B...the trip is over for you (in the EP atleast) dropping an engine in, stripping the car etc in just over 2 weeks is a TALL order even for us.

Let's hope it's a cat D, they pay up sharpish and in the meantime get the bits together to fix it...not sure how the insurance / DVLA need the car declaring also a new insurance policy?

Kind of good news in a way :S

That's a shitter mate. She was definitely on your side of the road - seriously fight it tooth and nail if the insurers look for 50/50!

Amazing that you have video evidence though. What's the set up - I really want one having seen that!!

Be easy if they just do it as a cat d will only have to mot the car. If its a cat c it will need a vic check, so thats more money + time&hassle.

Hopefully you get it sorted pal give me a shout if you need any parts as i have a few.

Cheers chaps,

Matts updated me, it's sat on his drive..waiting for an engineer and a garage to come look at it tomorrow and work out what's wrong. Worse case it's a complete write-off and he strips it and buys a bike for the trip, best case he needs a wing, an alloy and both drive shafts to get it running.

Either way, I'm thinking it's about 80% he won't make the trip ;)

Cheers chaps,

Matts updated me, it's sat on his drive..waiting for an engineer and a garage to come look at it tomorrow and work out what's wrong. Worse case it's a complete write-off and he strips it and buys a bike for the trip, best case he needs a wing, an alloy and both drive shafts to get it running.

Either way, I'm thinking it's about 80% he won't make the trip ;)

ah so its better than 90% you told me last night?

ah so its better than 90% you told me last night?

Good news so far chaps:

1. Engineer has agreed to my valuations of the car!!!!!!!

2. Engineer has allowed budget of £2k for the work to be carried out before the car would become a write-off

3. Items for replacement so far are: alloy, tyre, 2no suspension struts, complete driveshaft, lower arm, wing, spraying of front bumper, wing and side door.

I've contacted a car garage this morning and need to speak to the owner on Monday but there is a good chance they can complete all of the work and map my car while they are at it ;)

So chances of making the trip are now swinging back in my favour. Time is now ticking away but I should have another update on Monday.

One remaining concern suggested by a friend is that the subframe could be bent. The driveshaft has cut into the subframe by about 1" and if this is the case, then game over. They won't be able to tell until it's on a ramp and inspected.

Will keep you all posted.

p.s.

Trevor on the trading post has offered to drop both driveshafts and a wing off to my house next Thursday. The price is reasonable and it's handy that it can all be delivered at once so I may go for that. Thanks for you offers.

Awesome news that is...turning a car around from potential write off to ring muncher in 3 weeks is the stuff of legends, if Matt pulls it off, it will be spoken about for centuries (or minutes).

On a side note...guess what? still no brakes or word from HiSpec woot ;)

Awesome news that is...turning a car around from potential write off to ring muncher in 3 weeks is the stuff of legends, if Matt pulls it off, it will be spoken about for centuries (or minutes).

On a side note...guess what? still no brakes or word from HiSpec woot ;)

It's a bummer that you've been pished around by Hi-spec, I would have expected better from their reputation. At least you have the fall back of buying the t-sport discs.

I'm not hanging around at the moment and will not give in! I have arranged for my car to be delivered to a local car garage today and they are certain they will be able to complete the work in time. As well as that, they are a dastek dealer and will be able to plug into my dastek and tune the car up for me.

I would like to buy either a brand new pair of D2 front coilovers or another brand new replacement set in a different brand for the front. Any ideas on where I could just buy a new pair or fully adjustable coilovers at reasonable cost?

My car also has no windows in at at the moment because I thought I would have time to put polycarbonate in there. If I'm lucky, and the costs to fix the car come in well within budget, then I'm sure I can get the brown paper bag out, order some zep front fenders and polycarbonate windows and get them fitted by the garage, slipping them some extra cash. That's my positive outlook on this. I'm sure it won't be that easy but there is always a chance.