I intend to keep this first post upto date with what I'm doing this means it will recieve quite a few edits so some of the following posts may not make any sense connected to this one!

My car is silver-blue, ep91, Starlet Solida, S Reg

I want to make it worthy of being seen near the other cars on this site :p but taking it slow as I'm new to all this, want a silver/blue colour scheme, but really want to avoid it looking hideous, and ending up being 'all show, and no go'

Current best picture not the best but a current pic I took while on hols in Wales

bestpic_wales.jpg

List'O mods

Done and to do

Handling

D2 Coilovers or similar - Not on current insurance, wait till your 25!

Strutbars, Front, rear, upper and lower (probably Cusco) - Money!

Strutbar front upper, Toyota OEM - fitted

strutbar.jpg

Anti lift kit - Pending finding some, pending me knowing more about them!

Performance

Induction Kit - Money

Intend to have a pipe to the bumper will need to shift the radiator over to the left

Corolla (ee111, bug-eyed) inlet manifold - Have, Pending painting and piping to fit it

Repair work

I have owned the car a bit, so I need to do some tidy up work on it,...

Put the car in the garage a bit to far ages ago, pushed the bonnent back a bit, dented the bonnet.

bonnet_passenger_front.jpg

Some bugger must of hit me as my rear passenger light is cracked

rearlight_passenger.jpg

Engine Dress

Blue hosing - Bought off scottishcruiser, Pending getting the Samco radiator kit before fitting, pending cash!

Replacing of rusty bits - Have radiator and radiator overflow bottle brackets, need to get very rusty ones off, need to get shiny bolts too

Blue spark plug leads - Pending cash

TRD Alloy oil cap - Fitted

TRD Radiator cap - Fitted

Oil_Rad_cap.jpg

Misc styling stuff

Stuff I really should avoid until I've some 'real' mods

Interior

Blue metal gear knob - I know it's ripspeed but it was shiny and I was weak!

gskblue.jpg

SR Cluster with rev counter - Done!

NewClocks.jpg

ICE

Head Unit - JVC, with a flame face plate (KD-SC601)

Rear speakers - Kenwood 6x9's fitted

Subwoofer - 12" Pro-Plus, with a 425watt (210watts RMS) Blaupunkt amp

sub.jpg

Exterior

Crystal Headlights - Done!

Clear indicator lenses with silver indicator housing (and Silvertec bulbs) - Done!

close_up.jpg

Clear Side repeaters (with Silvertec bulbs) - Done!

Rear lights, replace with clear surround Glanza ones, or the Carat ones - Pending money/actually getting round to doing it

Wind deflectors - Done!

Tyre valve caps - A weak moment again, but I think they look better than the black plastic ones

Wheels_AirCaps.jpg

TRD Petrol cap - Fitted

Petrol_cap.jpg

TTE stamped Remus Backbox - Done!

side_view.jpg

Silver door Handles from the GLS - Done!

silverdoorhandle.jpg

Washer jets - I bought the silver ones from halfords (to stick with the colour scheme) they are round the bonnet holes are square!, might hide them in the black plastic at the bonnet top - Pending some time and know-how

Considering removal of all front grills and adding of mesh - Pending hacksaw, filler/paint/mesh and time

Considering removing/painting my side strips - Pending heat source and time

Removal of Solida badge/Stickers - Pending time and tools

SR spoiler - Pending the e-bay sending it to me, then fitting it

Security

Alarm fitted - Central remote locking, Internal motion sensors, Push sensors on the boot and bonnet

Current source of distraction

A little side project, and doing enough over time to get the money to fit the spoiler (Spent the limted mod budget on a Wii!)

----------------------------------------

The other car (hers)

A ep91, Starlet Sportif, R Reg, the one on the left

together.jpg

List'O mods

Handling

Strutbar front upper, Toyota OEM - fitted

helenstrutbar.jpg

Interior

SR Cluster with rev counter - Done!

ICE

Head Unit - JVC KD-G611

helens_stereo.jpg

Rear speakers - JVC 6x9's fitted, (from my car, pic is from my car)

RearSpeakers0.jpg

Exterior

Clear indicator lenses with silver indicator housing (and Silvertec bulbs) - Done!

Driving test - Passed!

passed.jpg

Collection of bits to convert to central locking/electric windows

EDIT: Updated 27/01/07

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that picture gave us a gigle,

those lights do it but if you can aford it get a set of these,

they update the look of the car alot more

clear lights

if they have a windiflector part that is listed for96-99 p9 or ep91 starlet then yea they should fit mate,

when i hacksawed the spars out of my grill i did nothing about the v hole it left as it isnt that noticable but if you want to get rid of it you would need to fill it with maybe some p38 or something similar and spray that area.

Thanks for the advice guys, clear lights on the to-do list, would be on the top but!,....

I really want to sort my bonnet, I quite fancy a carbon fibre bonnet, dunno when the chance will come around again for a cheap one.

I don't need the scoop, this'll probably put me in the more show than go category.

What do lot think I should do? :p

hay bro,

tbh as your car is only a 1.3 and insurance cat 4 you could stick anything on it with in reason and not notify the insurance of it.

my ex,s cusin was an insurance investigator and is adamant that unless your driving a hi powered vehicle your car would never get checked if say the worst happens and you were involved in an acident, its not economicaly viable to scrootinise every car that has been in an accident so they only save the special treatment for more faster expensive cars.....

my black sr was modded to the hilt, was written off twice, both times an examiner came round to examin the vehicle, these are only some of the undiclaired mods on it, both times i recieved a full payout

SPARS FROM GRILL REMOVED AND MESHED IN

DELOCKED AND DEBADGED

COLOUR CODED RUBING STRIPS

CLEAR INDICATORS AND SIDE LIGHTS

STANDARD SPEEDLINE C O WHEELS (COLOUR CODED)

GREENSTUFF PADS WITH BRAIDED BRAKE LINES

ECT ANTI LIFT KIT

ECT REAR 22MM ADJUSTABLE ANTI ROLE BAR

G MAX AIR FILTER

TOYOTA TEAM EUROPE EXHAUST

JAM RACING SHOX AND SPRINGS.

NOT TO MENTION ALL THE ICE I HAD

and shit like painted calipers, drums ect

94620014_G.sized.jpg

it dosent exacly look standard

wehn the examiners came round both times they insisted on a full payout,

i know its frowned upon by older people but you realy dont have to diclair light mods like mentioned above on a car like an na starlet... so not to worry

Hey man

Welcome to the UKSC!

Nice project you got there to work on.

Geo's right!

Take his advice and mine too ;b

I have some of the stuff on my car that you propose to do, like jdm corrola inlet manifold and strut brace and I haven't declared them. I am also getting her lowered this summer! You don't need to do every single thing by the book, but I guess some insurers are more picky and conscious of any mention of tee word 'modification'!.

Just some friendly advice, the induction kit will help you make more engine noise but has been proven in the starlet to lose you power, best to go with a performance panel air filter like a k&n, mines in the post as we speak ;b I was taken to the induction kit before I was convinced by a few top n/a tuners that uprated panel air filter is best!

And if you want to know about the jdm inlet manifold, it is a very worthy replacement modification that grants increased acceleration flow and and makes your engine sound like a rx7 tec ;b (made that up!)

Chill out and take each step at a time and work on one or two aspects of your car rather than prepare a huge list of stuff at once, its more fun that way and you can come up with a nice list of stuff you have achieved once its sorted!

But its cool that you are enthusiastic, you have started well with the clear indicators and silvatecs and the more you check out this site you will learn more in no time. I haven't done that much to my car and spent a little bit of money, but it has been transformed from what it was, am proud and I know what I want done to it ;b I started from scratch too from grandad mobile to basically a Red Sr <_<

If you have time, please check out my extreem ep ride and let me know what you think!

I would fix the little problems you have first like the headlamp housingand the bonnet before you start to bling and tune your car for peace of mind ;b Then the skies the limit for what you think your n/a can handle within your spending power!

Take it easy & most importantly have fun, keep up the good work and don't give up!

Hear from ya soon bro :lol:

Peace Out

From Joz

Hey mate you really have it all planed out!!!!! I like wat im hearing too <_<

As SiCaln said the clear lights are expensive but very smart.......trust me i just bought them!!!!!! havent got round to fitting them yet though. As for the price they cost me £75 each!!!!!

crystal.jpg

Cant wait till you can get the real mods on the car!!!!

Basically fuk what the insurance says just bang the mods on........ i did and all the mods that you see in my signature are NOT declared!!!!

I want to keep the insurance valid, no sense in pay a lot for something if it's no use!, but if my car will get less attension from them I'll try not to panic over it too much, (that mani? came with the car, it's official toyota whats the problem? :D )

I've got an alarm fitted now, (£199.97!), no point waiting till after my cars been stolen,...

Central remote locking

Internal motion sensors

Push sensors on the boot and bonnet (so if anyone tries to steal my dented bonnet or rusty engine bits they better think twice! <_< )

The only probs are the bonnet sensor goes through where the driver side wing is bolted on, and they didn't reattach the bonnet opening cable to the opening lever (spent 15mins learning about how to sort that, simple when you know how,.....)

I'm taking a lot of pics as I do stuff, I want to contribute back to this site, so all the little questions I have I learnt the answears to I'm gonna write up as mini tutorials, so I can help out all the other newbies (so they don't spend 1 min sorting the bonnet cable, not 15 :lol: )

The list in the first post, is more a to-do wish list than a rigid plan Starletto so don't worry about me going overboard! (adds anti-lift kit to Handling section). Fixing stuff is my priority, thats why the bonnet group buy got my attension, but I think it's not gonna happen as their Glanza bonnets not Starlet bonnets, so back to the lights!

On the induction kit I read a thread around here (scutch0's post) that says a panel is best with the normal mani, but an induction kit works well with the Corolla mani, by moving the rad over (like this even if it isn't his car!) I can get the Apexi cone in the bumper up front, no point it sitting in the warm engine bay

As I'm probably not getting the bonnet I'll get those head lights ordered when I have the chance, Sparky if you could share your experience of getting the old lights out, and the new ones in I'd be very grateful! :)

Enzo, any chance of a head on pic to admire that grill? ;) I have been thinking about over laying the grill bars with blue mesh or perhaps removing the grill bars so I can set the mesh back, I think I may paint the runner and not remove, they help protect the car a bit, will lose my Solida badge thou!

I do waffle a bit sorry! :lol:

no harm in banter <_<

some of the stuff you have said there is sound as, especialy to do with the guides,

the front page of the site is a baw hair away so anythin you can add to the site in the form of a guide or two would be greatly apreaceated.

here is a pic of the front as you asked bro, isnt the best pic as the mesh is dirty

and id had a prang so the light units are slightly out of shape but you get the general gist

subyg.jpg

when you have a moment add a mugshot of yoursel in the riders section so people can have a deak at what you look like mate :lol:

in regards to removing your light unit its abit of a finacky affair and watch you dont slice your hand yanking them out.

obviusly disconect and remove the bulb if you wish

the light units are mounted onto three black brackets,

those three black brackets mount onto three round hitches,

if you get a screw driver and wedge them inbetween the black brackets and lights with abit of persuasion they should pop out, but watch you dont over do it as they will snap,

it would also help if you unscrewed the indicator units out as that would give you more space to work with :lol:

hope that was of some use to you and if you have any other questions just ask

<snip lights info>
That should save me 20mins of figuring a toyota puzzle out, it's also the kind of info I'd like to see, I'll have a go at getting some guides written

I do like the front look, didn't realise you'd done the lower grills too, I'm gonna have to do em too! <_< (the lower grille stands out a bit more so I'll need to figure out how to smooth that)

Gonna get my damaged lights sorted first thou

On that note would these lights be ok for my Starlet? (from fensport)

laterearlight.jpg

I don't have any lights around my number plate so was woundering if I'd still have all the lights I should legally have

yea with a bif of persuasion those lenses should fit without too much hastle at all and abit of silicone for sure <_<

have you checked the the guide to rear lights buy scutcho to see what other lights are available too bro??

alll of them are available from toyota with the part number suplied

there is a clearer version that i think will suite your brief more,

check out suctch's brief here to see what i mean mate, as your car is silver, the smoked/clear effect would look better i think but thats just my own opinion.

depending on how compitent you feel you could attemptpart of smootin the bumper or you could get a decent bodyshop to do it for around a ton mate :lol:

Crystal lights ordered weds morning should have my hands on them by fri! Got the radiator and coolant bottle brackets as well, now gimmie hints on how to paint them shiny blue!

I know you can get spray paint from hombase that's good for metal and plastic, but know from experience the paint comes off a bit to easy (would need to get the spray varnish this time too!), how do you rabble paint your engine bits?, and where would I get some suitable nuts and bolts that won't rust to death?

@Enzo

I seen the thread, I want to avoid the 'light leak effect' and fanced the one with two clear strips(4) so went with the lense number thinking that they could backtrack to whole unit, but they were easily confused and ended taking the chassis number they ording me the same lights. Yay.

Anyway that might of been a bit lucky as I now think the (3) lights are better, but want the whole units, does anybody have these? or a post facelift glanza chassis number to give me?

The picture from fensport is like the (3) type, but seem a bit different in backing colour at the top, is it, or is it the picture?

Thanks for the number, reading that thread it doesn't sound like too much hassle to fit the new lenses, but how well do they line up underneath? I want to avoid a light-leak effect, also as I currenlty only have a reverse light on the left I'd have to sort out one on the right (what is on the right is it a fog light?)

Would it just be a case of,......

1) fit new lense

2) fit new reverse bulb on right

3) unplug fog lamp lead (presume it's a fog lamp on the right), plug in right revsere lead

I'll go have a look for myself now at the leads, but if you can fill me in on the rest I might have to send some money your way!

Had a peak at the wiring, now know what I actually have back there, would need a red blub, but thats no problem

Finally got the clear lights, took a lot of photos doing it so will have to write it all up at some point, hopefully should wander out into the country at somepoint and get some good photos in the meantime heres a quick one I took, dads car in the foreground

headlights.jpg

Wasup mate

Clear lights are looking really good, may have to invest in some sometime ;b

Can't wait to see yout tutorial!

Saw your wind deflectors and yea they look pretty neat and suit your motor, different to mine altho mine were described as smoked...

Keep up the good work

Glad to know your enjoying the hobby!

Do you have a nickname instead of calling you Blue Icarian Wings? ;b

Peace Out

From Joz