4EFE Exhaust Manifold Possible Group Buy

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, would this mani be getting rid of the cat?

I would say that it would be best if this mani didnt automatically get rid of the cat...for several reasons

If the mani automatically got rid of the cat, then this would have to come off for evryones mot tests and such.

best imo if thie mani were to stop sumwhere between the o2 sensor and the cat

1. ste91

2. Rich

3. TSP

4. Bluebear

5. nic1.3

6. Jones_799

7. Mikey Jay

8. 5T4R7ET N/A

9. Liam_D

nice, hopefully we can get 10 people, I PM'd Starbus earlier about this, just waiting for a reply now about prices and how long before they'll be made.

IMO whats the point in having a performance manifold, a cat still in place and whatever mid and back section you have, may aswell have the complete package :harhar:

Every little helps :)

And not everyone wants the hassle of changing the cat every MOT

It may defeat the object with what Lewis said however only testing will be able to determine if it will be effective along with some before and after dyno runs. I would seriously get some test units made before everyone piles in their hard earned.

Im just going with my past experiences that when changing to a 4 branch manifold you have to lose something to gain something else, it is very difficult to get the best of both worlds. Bolt ons do not always work as intended.

Im sure starbus is a very good fabricator but its just more customer friendly to at least do some testing and a few tweaks with the product before it is released to the masses otherwise its mainly guesswork. Look at all the EP traders, they seriously test out their products no matter large or small. Its the same as making an FTE manifold and just selling it as is.

But seriously all the best with this and I hope you guys get what pay for because it will be good to see more n/a owners explore more possibilities.

Im all for this group buy but there is no point in jumping the gun and hope that just because it looks right that its going to make a difference and that your customers will be happy with it. In truth a well designed 4 branch manifold certainly will work well with a good setup and that would include a performance orientated exhaust system. I think you will be fairly limited with the stock system especially on the 4EFE but thats where testing could prove me wrong.

I moved onto the 5EFE for a reason and that is the extra torque available to deal with any losses in some areas or to complement any gains in other areas. Another thing that should be noted is that 4 branch manis flow very well and its understandable that you dont want too much restriction however you also do not want a flow that is too unrestricted as that would really make you go nowhere (huge power loss) as I found when I had an OBX 4 branch and NO boxes on my 4EFE, just a tanabe backbox. A center box solved that but not as much as I hoped due to less torque provided from the 4E.

For an even setup I would have decat and one silencer/midbox and a backbox. I have run this twice, with the obx and now the hotshot manifold and I think the results are the best you are going to get with just bolt ons and no tuning. An interesting note is that my exhaust system (EP82 4EFE) which I use with my 5E is decat as standard so it does tell you that there is performance potential for 4EFE with the use of a good decat system which retains a mid box.

Joz knows the score, whats the point in a decent free flowing mani if its going to be restricted by the cat and other boxes? :harhar:

IMO the mani is the most important part of the exhaust system. I think most of us at some point WILL remove the cat but of course we need to be able to have the cat there for the MOT, if the manifold was to be too long that it needed the cat removing, what would happen when you need to put a cat in for the MOT? You'd have to chop up some of the mani to get the cat in! (Unless you move the cat further down the pipe).

Also some of us don't like loud exhausts. :)

And another thing that Joz hasn't mentioned, he said on his old exhaust system he first had no silencers, and there was a loss in performance until he had a mid section put in.

I did just mention it ste :harhar:

And you are right, the characteristics of the manifold will ultimately determine the output that you are going to get from your exhaust system which is why it is important to do at least some R&D when designing one with a range of setups.

lol skim-reading ftl

didn't see it :harhar:

As for the R&D, I'm fairly confident that they will turn out ok, even if you look at the aftermarket manifolds hardly anyone has tried them on the 4E, infact I can't think of anyone else other than you who has.

And aslong as the price is around £200 then the price is still competitive with the OBX and Pacesetter manifolds.

Thats fair thinking man.

I just wanted to get across what happened with me because it may be useful to others.

I hope they go well for everyone, its just if they were tested they would be a real quality product even one or two before more are made.

Bump just to make sure there is still interest in the group buy, I think Starbus is a little busy atm so I'll be patient and give him a few more days before I PM him again to see where we stand with this.

Here's the list so far:

1. ste91

2. Rich

3. TSP

4. Bluebear

5. nic1.3

6. Jones_799

7. Mikey Jay

8. 5T4R7ET N/A

9. Liam_D

10. BAZ2CRAZY