4EFE Exhaust Manifold Possible Group Buy

I have been speaking with Starbus and we can possibly get a group buy for some 4EFE exhaust manifolds.

They will be made from stainless steel and priced somewhere above £200.

I know there are other N/A drivers who would like a decent exhaust manifold without having to go for one that was designed for the 5EFE, so who would be interested in this?

It's not a definate yet, just gauging interest.

So who's interested?

1. ste91

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was gonna pm him about this.. but instead of just doing the tiny mani like the standard one. I would of sent him part of the front section of exhaust so there would be enough room to make a nice 4-2-1 mani. then other owners would just cut part of their front bit of exhaust off. weld a flange on that matches up to the mani, and then off you go.

I would of had one but im doing something different now.

Not been on much but this caught my eye :p

May need to do a lot of reasearch on this i.e. get ideas of what people want from their car. I'm thinking as its for a 4E the aim won't be for low-mid power.

Possible Specs:

4-1 - long primaries tapered collector

4-2-1 - Long primaries shorter but slightly wider secondaries with tapered collector

Or as its for N/A I'd look at what tuners for Vtec engines have done.

Any thoughts? :thumbsup:

@ Rob - I agree, there isn't much space to work with if you just stick to standard mani size.

@ Rich - a 4-2-1 with long primaries and slightly wider secondaries is what I thought would work well, giving us a decent even powerband unlike the manifolds that are available for the 5E which would give us not-so-good low end power.

I was gonna pm him about this.. but instead of just doing the tiny mani like the standard one. I would of sent him part of the front section of exhaust so there would be enough room to make a nice 4-2-1 mani. then other owners would just cut part of their front bit of exhaust off. weld a flange on that matches up to the mani, and then off you go.

I would of had one but im doing something different now.

that would be great, but lets face it, how many people on this site could weld a flange onto the oem exhaust, which is gonna add further cost to this.

the easiest option is to make one that just bolts on, that way the owner can just swap back to standard when they need to

just my 2p

No I think Rob is right, it's hard to work to the confines of the standard mani and standard exhaust, and anyway some people have gone for custom exhaust systems anyway so there's no harm in doing a chop-and-weld to fit a manifold.

It would be very easy for us to have a manifold that you can simply swap with the standard one but then you are very limited. IMO the manifold should finish somewhere underneath but in an easy location for welding/fixing the exhaust to it.

I would be interested, but I have a possible upcoming project that'll be taking up funds.

Just a little question though, would it not be better to get these made up in mild steel? Or is that mainly for the 4EFTE's?

Mild steel is only needed on 4EFTE's due to the heat created by the turbo. Even stainless steel can be used on the 4EFTE but as we all know it cracks easily.

only cracks if it is inferior stainless

stainless is better FACT

plus most people that make stainless items use mild wire which contracts and expands differantly so cracks easyer

starbus is a good welder and uses very good wire/gas so no need to worry about cracks or anything

hey, i mite be interested depending on price and final design.

here's my opinions

1; i think that a system that is fitted by cutting and welding a flange on to the existing system would be best suited.

2; possibly 4-2-1 system as this may provide a good even power band as said earlier.

here's a photo of my stock system,

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/n...s4/DSC00898.jpg regardless of the final design I think that the mani should end somewhere near the cat, this would seem like a reasonable connection point to me at least

What do you guys think??

hey, i mite be interested depending on price and final design.

here's my opinions

1; i think that a system that is fitted by cutting and welding a flange on to the existing system would be best suited.

2; possibly 4-2-1 system as this may provide a good even power band as said earlier.

here's a photo of my stock system,

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn166/n...s4/DSC00898.jpg regardless of the final design I think that the mani should end somewhere near the cat, this would seem like a reasonable connection point to me at least

What do you guys think??

Agreed 100% and thanks for that pic it might be useful for Starbus.

:thumbsup:

That's the pain with the OBX, they have two sensor holes, so have to block one off, and tis in a diff place to standard too so have to extend the wiring.

At least you guys with custom ones can have it all in the right place :thumbsup:

somthing similar to this possibly?

product_b16a_header[1].jpg

(Toda manifold for B16a)

Port sizes are obviously diferent and the tapered 60mm end would be pointless on my 2" exhaust but you get the idea.

Also just thought, which order do the cylinders fire? and which configuration would be best 1-4+2-3 or 1-2+3-4 or 1-3+2-4?

Hehe something to think about :thumbsup: