My Forged 5e 4wd Ep85 - anyone after an ep85??

I just realised i had never posted this up on here for you guys so ive pasted it across.

Well i sold my toms td05 starlet a bit ago now to stevem099 and i bought Ryans ep85. i went over to N.I For it which was a nice trip out.

The car was in great condition and has obviously been well cared for

Got quite a bit planned for it lots of parts waiting to be fitted.

So far ive fitted a hdi front mount, defi boost and water temp guage, Zep engine damper, Cusco brake stopper, and a AEM wideband air fuel ratio guage

Heres a few pics so far

When i got it home, still with irish plates

DSC01210.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

fitting the hdi kit

DSC01249.jpg

DSC01241.jpg

Took this whilst getting the boss welded in for the wideband

DSC01235.jpg

I got the flange for my ssqv welded in today aswell im just waiting for a turbo outlet gasket now and all the other parts ive ordered to arrive.

Should be getting a nice cat1 alarm with pager and turbo timer fitted tomorrow and hopefully a few other little bits. Then next week my recaro's should be getting fitted on thursday, cant wait for that.

Also got a full GT kit minus the front end ready to be fitted at some point.

Well i got my cat one fitted last week the guy turned up early on and i was still pissed from the previous night lol i think i made him the worst cup of coffee possible lol, it took him about 4 hours to fit it all. the wiring looked horrible. there was the remains of a previous turbo timer harness wired in so he took that all out and tided it all up. he did me a hks turbo timer for a tenner which im pretty chuffed with.

Well yesterday i got my td04 rotated with the help of a mate as i didnt have any decent cirlip pliers but he had a lovely set of them. then i got all the standard turbo setup removed. it came off really easy actually. so heres some pics of what i got done so far. just need some time when im not working to get the rest done.

i got my boost controller today but my ewg still hastnt arrived but ive been told its on its way and i should have it within 5 days!! ooohh cant wait. im off work next monday tues wednesday so i will prob get some more done while im off. so im stuck driving my ax gti around for now which is soooo much fun!!! i cant wait to put the vts engine and box in it. it just handles so well and is loads of fun.

Anyway some pics

heres one after i washed it the other day

DSC01255.jpg

Turbo all rotated and fittings for braided water hoses fitted

DSC01282.jpg

Draining oil in my little brothers sand bucket lol

DSC01286.jpg

Whats missing here then???

DSC01285.jpg

More bits took off

DSC01288.jpg

A quick test fit of zisco mani. it was pissing down at this point so i never got any further

DSC01289.jpg

i checked the holes for the brace where the ewg goes and they lined up spot on. Well thats as far as ive got for now folks. ive just ran out of beers too thumbsup.gif

Well i got everything test fitted today and it looks like everything all bolts up nicely. The intercooler pipework isnt going to be a problem. I took a few pics but it was getting a bit dark.

Wastegate welded up

DSC01291.jpg

Plenty of clearance for stock rad :-D

DSC01293.jpg

Downpipe meets exhaust ok, the flanges seem a tiny bit different but i dont think it will be a problem

DSC01296.jpg

Air filter and pipework from bullett00th, cheers mate

going to be a tight fit though.

DSC01294.jpg

I need to find somewhere to mount my oil filter for the relocation kit i cant decide where to put it, Cut down the braided lines a bit as there really long then just need a few random nuts and bolts for the downpipe, the braces and a few other bits then it can all go together properly and fit my boost controller :rockon:

It was alot easier than i thought, i was dreading things not lining up properly.

Well i finally got the water lines fitted, they were a very tight fit!

DSC01306.jpg

Heres how i made the intercooler piping fit the the hdi cooler.

DSC01308.jpg

Rad hoses and water temp sensor fitted

DSC01314.jpg

Now im just waiting on my tial still!! Im been messed about by the company so looks like i will be going though the paypal procedure for claiming my money back. agggghhh. :mad::mad:

Well everything is all fitted now except my fuel rail and it seems to be going well at .5 bar just need to head down to nick at tuning developments for some mapping. :rockon:

Today i went to camskill and got some magnecore 8mm ht leads iridum 7 plugs, new dizzy cap and rotor arm so i got them fitted.

i think i might get a custom 2.5 inch stainless system made up aswell as the exhaust at the moment is to quiet i think. heres a few pics. :cool:

DSC01324.jpg

DSC01325.jpg

DSC01326.jpg

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01328.jpg

So the spec list so far is something like this:

Toy Tuning / Powerflex Polyurethane Engine Mount Bushes (gearbox one not fitted)

Ported head

zisco mild steel td04l mani and downpipe for ewg

td04l

HDI fmic kit

HKS ssqv fitted on weld on flange

HKS turbo timer

tial 38mm ewg

ZEP engine damper

Cusco master cylinder stopper

GT front strut brace

rear strut brace

Samco rad pipes

magnecore 8mm ht leads

Catch can

Greddy oil filter relocation kit

HKS fuel rail top be fitted when i sort out the fittings

Speedvision braided oil and water lines and return pipe

Cat 1 alarm with pager option

blitz duel solenoid boost controller

AEM wideband air fuel guage

Defi boost, water temp guages and control box

evo 8 recaros to be fitted

triple pillar pod to be fitted

optional front and rear speakers

ignition barrel glow ring

Emanage ultimate to be fitted

i think thats about it for now, i need to sort some coilovers out but im not quite sure what to get with the rears been a little different?

Got the guads all fitted now also the gt bonnet and a white scoop i had from my old car, im wondering if i should have got a GI bonnet now to be a bit different.

bonnet is just in primer, and the bumper doesn't fit right but ive got a gt bumper on the way now!

DSC01362.jpg

The starlet is away at the moment getting the exhaust made, ive seen the pipework and the bends and they look very good, cant wait to get it back. Hes also going to see about modifying the inlet to the filter to move it further toward the grill, and make a new bonnet catch support bracket.

exhaust pics

PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0002.jpg

PIC_0001.jpg

I fitted a new inlet pipe today so the filter sits right in the front grill now

You can see the state the bumpers are in, i cant wait to get it in a bodyshop and get it finished off.

I've been sorting little things on the car all week so its ready for mapping on Monday.

few more pics

PIC_0016.jpg

PIC_0014-1.jpg

PIC_0013.jpg

PIC_0010-1.jpg

PIC_0012.jpg

PIC_000156.jpg

Still got lots to do.

Well a few updates to make, since the bottom end went the car has sat in the garage for a couple of months gathering dust while i decide what to do. in the end i bought this

121.jpg

Its the engine from the toytuning demo car that was broken recently

Toy-tuning Fully forged engine, consisting of:

weisco 74.5mm pistons

scat forged rods, 1.2mm

zep racing Headgasket

all new bearings and Toyota seals

fully refurbished cylinder head.

Done approx 10000miles.

cool.png

only had it a few days now

Well The other day a mate of mine came round who also has a GT and said "why havent you got that old engine out yet!!" "why dont we do it now??" So he talked me round. a quick trip to buy some pry bars and we started on it.

I borrowed an engine crane from another good mate (it was broken but i made him get it fixed first for me :cool:)

12.jpg

then later on a couple more mates came round which was handy when lifting it out

DSCF0625.jpg

after unbolting everything we got it lifted with the crane, we then found we would need to lower it down to re sling it differently

45.jpg

i never got a picture of it on the crane as i just wanted to get it on the garage floor asap lol. It was a bit awkward taking the engine gearbox and transfer box out the top but we managed in the end. there was gearbox oil, coolant, petrol, and power steering fluid all over the garage floor hahaha.

engine out

86.jpg

The garage has turned into a mess of starlet parts

75.jpg

as it stands ive got three 4efte's and bits everywhere! My mum and step dad are going nuts about the stuff in the garage, they thought the car would only be in for a few days a week tops and ite been there for a couple of months now :haha: its ok though so long as i keep them sweet with loads of chocolate!

So this is how the car now stands, or sits as it were.

444.jpg

757.jpg

Yesterday i got chance to actually have a look at the forged engine so i started to clean it up. ive been out and bought some paint and a few bits and pieces. Im going to get the engine bay all cleaned up so its nice for the new engine.

Tomorrow im going to camskill topick up a few gaskets that i will need, new water pump and probably drop a few bits off to be powder coated.

Well not much progress really, i borrowed an engine stand and ive got the engine painted. i used some high temp paint first but it looked really dull and rubbish so i had some toyota black 205 that i got mixed up so i thought i would try that

PIC_0006d.jpg

new water pump fitted as old one had a bent pulley

PIC_0007ad.jpg

going to collect an oil filter gasket and inlet mani gasket tomorrow from Toyota then i can get a few more bits done. A few bits have gone to be powder coated hopefully get them back next week, the guy is having to order the powder in as he doesn't normally do the colour i asked for :cool:

at the moment i cant get an exedy paddle clutch so i cant decide what to get now so that's put a halt on things really.

Well i ended up going for a helix paddle clutch so im just waiting for that to turn up. today i cleaned my gearbox up a bit, it came up quite well.

DSC01518.jpg

new clutch arrived

DSCF0627.jpg

DSCF0628.jpg

a bit of powder coating

DSCF0639.jpg

The clutch has now been fitted, the gearbox is bolted on. The 2 threads for the sump bolts were no good on the crank seal housing so i got one of my old engine and swapped the seals over. The housing was slightly different so had to cut the ends off a little so it would fit the engine. The 4wd sump has been swapped over too.

Just a couple more things to do. im going to get a non-powersteering rack and get that fitted before the engine goes in.

So heres a couple of pics after the clutch was fitted

starlet008-1.jpg

starlet010-1.jpg

Then it sat again for a couple of weeks. i got fed up with the car and lost motivation to get it fixed. But then my mate whos a mechanic got sacked so i though he would have nothing better to do so i got him round straight away and we got the engine in the car tongue.png

My pc also went tits up with a bad virus so im using another hard drive so ive not got access to all the pics.

Anyway heres how the car now stands.

23092009009.jpg

23092009011.jpg

ive still got quite a few little jobs to do but im hoping to have it running in the next few days.

The plan to use the non pas steering rack never came off i ran into problems fitting it so im just going to run the pas rack without the pump.

I've also got some coilovers sorted, im getting the rear ones made shorter so the car will sit right. im hoping to have these in the next few weeks cool.png

So the spec list for when this car is finished will be something like this

<you>Engine</you>

Toy-tuning Fully forged engine

weisco 74.5mm pistons

scat forged rods

1.2mm zep racing Headgasket

all new bearings and Toyota seals

fully refurbished cylinder head.

Powerflex Polyurethane Engine Mount Bushes

Zisco mild steel td04l mani and downpipe for ewg

Custom 2.5 inch stainless exhaust system with a shorted hks super dragger backbox

td04l turbo

HDI fmic kit

HKS ssqv fitted on weld on flange

HKS turbo timer

tial 38mm ewg

ZEP Racing engine damper

Samco purple rad pipes

Purple grounding kit

magnecore 8mm ht leads

Catch can

Greddy oil filter relocation kit

HKS fuel rail

Sard fuel reg and guage

Speedvision braided oil and water lines and return pipe

460cc injectors

Tuning Developments purple throttle body pulley

<you>Handeling and brakes</you>

Cusco master cylinder stopper

GT front strut brace

rear strut brace

GT front struts

GT calipers and discs

<you>Interior and electronics</you>

Cat 1 alarm with pager option

blitz duel solenoid boost controller

triple pillar pod with AEM wideband air fuel gauge Defi boost, water temp gauges and control box

evo 4 recaros to be fitted i need some rails from jap land

optional front and rear speakers

ignition barrel glow ring

Emanage ultimate with pressure sensor, injector adapter harness, launch control setup :rockon:

theres probably more.

When the new engine is up and running i will be going back down to tuning developments and getting it mapped at about 1.5 bar i think. Then i need to get it on a dyno

So when i got it

DSC01209.jpg

and now with the GT bits

PIC_0001-1.jpg

Its looking rough now but when its all finished, mapped, and lowered ect it will be going in the bodyshop to get sorted.

Ive got a few more little bits done today.

Strut brace fitted

cusco bmcs fitted

Zep racing engine damper fitted

new crush washers for turbo oil feed fitted as it was leaking slightly

Got it it idle a bit lower as it was sitting at about 2.2k lol

Gave the propshaft a few pumps of grease.

a couple of pics

05102009026.jpg

05102009029.jpg

05102009028.jpg

Edited by Bean
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend putting a flexi in that exhaust system mate!

I had to have one put in because it was so fucking rigid and I think I have TRD engine mounts, it used to rattle the bolts out of the decat and cracked the weld on the flange of the front pipe. All sorted now with a flexi in place :thumbsup:

Yeah the guy said if i want one put in just to take it back n he will sort it for me.

I would recommend putting a flexi in that exhaust system mate!

I had to have one put in because it was so fucking rigid and I think I have TRD engine mounts, it used to rattle the bolts out of the decat and cracked the weld on the flange of the front pipe. All sorted now with a flexi in place :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
how did you get on wi the mapping today mate?

Pretty good mate! mapped at a bar on the ultimate, at high revs the boost is dropping back to .85 though, so either i have a boost leak or the inlet is restricting it. the launch control sounds mental, i haven't launched it yet though, my backbox keeps coming out the centre pipe so i didnt want to cook the underside of my car. then i got it back in and snapped the clamp. so im getting a proper flange welded on it and get the flexi fitted, so the cars back in the garage grrr. it goes well though, i will have to bring it up soon.

have you got your suspension fitted? i think im going to wait and see how you get on with yours before i do mine lol.

it is pretty loud i guess but it doesn't sounds stupid, i havent actually drove it with the backbox connected to the centre pipe since its been mapped. without the back box it was rediculous, at one point i had a finger in my ear on the motorway.

ive got a flexi now and i think my flanges have arrived so i will be able to get my exhaust sorted now. i think im going to wait till ive got my suspension and get it all done at the same time.

• 3 months later...

cheers guys ive still to tidy things up yet. i just want it all sorted then i will start cleaning everything up once i know its all good :thumbsup:

Back to the garage now ive sobered up hahaha.

i had to take my ax gti for its mot this morning fingers crossed its passed!! :)

Well ive got thise out the garage and its running lovely. i was in a mega rush working hung over before work today lol and i got the clutch bled, prop shaft bolted on and a few other jobs done. so when i got home i drove it up and down my drive a few times. i just wanted to see what the clutch was like and it seems great not heavy at all. seems lighter than the exedy paddle ones. maybe even lighter than the trd one i took out. the steering seems ok with the pas rack blocked off biggrin.gif all good. hopefully get it insured tomorrow and take it for a drive tongue.gif

Also i still havent got my ax back from its mot :) its not looking good for the wee citroen lol.