Just wondering what products people use to dry there cars after a wash?

Do you leave it to dry naturally? or do you use some sort of cloth? If so what cloths are the best for drying?

Its just something ive never managed to get on with, i hate drying it. I normally tend to leave it to dry naturally, but im sure this isnt a very good thing to do.

Any help would be apprciated

Thanks

Liam

I used to use a leather until it went shitty, now I use a cloth (a good one not just any old rag).

Leaving it to dry naturally does you no favours, it leaves water marks. Something to do with minerals being in the water, then when the water evaporates away it leaves the minerals behind, hence the marks.

If you have a decent level of wax on your car it will make the car harder to dry due to the wax beading. When using a hose if you take hoze nozzle part off so that you literally have a stream of water similar to a tap running this will get rid of the bulk of the water. This is because there is too much water at a sudden time for it to bead and it therefore runs off the car.

After that, as you know - I use the Poorboys drying towel that I have, you won't find anything better for the job mate. You can also use the Poorboys Spray n Wipe as a drying aid which makes the job even easier still.

I would always avoid using a chamois unless you really have to, due to the way they're made they transfer anything on the surface of the material onto the paintwork however the drying towel doesn't do this.

Hope that helps dude.

If you have a decent level of wax on your car it will make the car harder to dry due to the wax beading. When using a hose if you take hoze nozzle part off so that you literally have a stream of water similar to a tap running this will get rid of the bulk of the water. This is because there is too much water at a sudden time for it to bead and it therefore runs off the car.

After that, as you know - I use the Poorboys drying towel that I have, you won't find anything better for the job mate. You can also use the Poorboys Spray n Wipe as a drying aid which makes the job even easier still.

I would always avoid using a chamois unless you really have to, due to the way they're made they transfer anything on the surface of the material onto the paintwork however the drying towel doesn't do this.

Hope that helps dude.

I may have to look into some of this Poorboys stuff when I get the GT running and on the road.

Also never knew that about chamois leathers!

i used to use a leather, but ised these towel's that i got at NEC show, proper good wipe it once and it's gone :)

Those £12.00 flannel sized things... yeah.. the bloke tried selling me those too...

i use a blade and a chamois....and Alan D goes MAD at me for it, he hates the idea of draggin anything across the paint!

i hate letting it dry naturally, leavin all them nasty water marks behind! i actually find drying her off the most satisfying part lol. sad i know! i think its because u start to see your hard work pay off!

Alan D uses baby towels that he gets from mother care and machine washes. he doesnt drag them over the paint. he lays them onto the car and then peels them back off again, at no point moving the towel across the paint. i watched him do this to my car....and i dont know how he has the patience.

more attention to polishing and waxing is something i'm hoping to get into, hence buying the Autoglym HD wax even tho i didnt need it, but for me, a good chamois is the way to go. probably not what the avid detailers would recommend, but so far it has caused me no damage.

Phil.

i use some rather large micro fibre cloths but having tried a small waffle weave cloth ill be investing in a larger version in the future!!!

liam you fancy combining some orders? save on postage?? bill any chance of you wangling us some discount??? lol

@ Phil the thought of a blade makes me shudder :D

Phil - I can't believe you use a blade! Get rid!

Liam - I would also do what Phil mentioned with not properly wiping the towel on the paint, I collect as much as I can with purely pulling the towel over the paintwork and then usually go over with the quick detailer and a MF to get the last bits. This is quite an overly precautious procedure though.

Rob - If you guys can give me a definite order I'll see what the best price I can get for you is.

I have also just noticed that DetailedObsession no longer do the Poorboys waffle weave that I have (Found here: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/po...owel-cat5.html) I'm not sure why that is but I'll find out and let you guys know if anything better has been released lately.

• 3 months later...

i use a soft rubber squeege working from the roof down (£1 in a bargain bucket)

then i use synthetic shammy the one from poundland in a plastic box is mint (have got 2 spares they are that good)

then a microfibre wash sponge (microfibre one side fabric mesh the other) on the micro fibre side to buff to a high shine, if there are any left over marks the fabric mesh sidde will loosen it and the spoonge showing through will remove it (£5 tesco)

after all that all doors are opened on goes the microfibre wash mitten (also from poundland) to wipe excess from boot, door and bonnet jams, wheels and then the mit will then remove drips of water caused by opening the doors!

i am an autoglym man through and through (HATE meguires wax) but i dislike fancy polishing cloths, as long as the shammy is very absorbant and does not leave too much moisture on the paint a showroom finnish can be acheived easily.

also guys don't shun blades, as long as they are soft with a long blade-handle distance (keeps the hard handle away from ppaint) and they don't ge contaminated with grit or dirt just like with your shammies and cloths they cause no damage to bodywork

my sundays described to you perfectly :)