Hi Peoples,

i purchased myself a 4EFTE at the weekend that had a poorly Head Gasket, and i am planning on rebuilding it as much as possible for the GT Turbo Shell i have!

this may sound crazy to anyone who knows me, but for those who dont... i have no mechanical experience at all! lol i will be doing it all in my garden shed and will be relying solely on friends, you folks and the internets to fix it!

so just to warn you, please expect alot of WTF is this part posts :)

Work is to commence this saturday morning, and i will be removing the head ready for skimming, as i have looked at a few guides and it doesnt look too hard! LOL

first question... What tools will i need?

Regards,

Nathan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best of luck with it mate!

tools... hmm.. you will need alot of them... lol.

i got two socket sets... lol

this will be a good test of the "How To" Section!

i have alot of friends in the motor trade that have said theyd help out!

you will want

10mm socket + ring spanner for the cam caps

12mm (i think may be 14mm) for the cam pully

no:9 star drive for the head bolts, tm-developments.com sell em for £9 i think and dave ships parts quick as fook!

and thats it head will be off :)

personaly i use a big bit of card board and mark out where every thing has come from and what way it faced as when rebuilding, a cap in the wrong place or a shim in the wrong bucket and your fucked lol. drop me a pm when you have it all apart and ill pm you some realy good links and guides to help you through your build bud. isnt too hard tbh.

theres a really good video guide buy someone off tgtt. a foreign guy. im sure the links were posted on here somewhere. ill have a look and post them. they helped me rebuild my bottom end and id never done it before.

will need to be a long one mate so best to buy the tool or go to a tool supplier and try find one. think the tmd one is like 100 mm long. a 10mm alan key also fits i think either that or an 8mm. if u get stuck u could get a big 10/8 mm alankey and cut the corner of it and stick it in the same sized socket and boom diy headbolt tool. id still advise buying tyhe tool tho lol

the vids i talked about are all linked in this topic

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index....c=27218&hl=

already struggling... cant get the cams out lol the silly rockercover mounting bolt things have a funny shaped head, so the 10mm is too big and just slips!

pics are here...

206445_1616304699877_1604143285_1217113_3698262_n.jpg

Tempted to cut them and drill the buggers out lol

are they the same on the 4efe? if so i already have replacements!

Got the bastards with a 10mm deep 6pt socket rather than the 12pt on I was using! :D

Next problem...

Removed 1 headbolt with a 8mm 6pt hex socket but it's slipping on the second... Could do with a 12pt but dunno where to buy? Lol

just go on tm developments n buy one. dont wanna be strippin a headbolt. or use a spline key if u have one with the little end at the top and put a jack handle on the end of it. remember dont use that method to put them back on lol

just go on tm developments n buy one. dont wanna be strippin a headbolt. or use a spline key if u have one with the little end at the top and put a jack handle on the end of it. remember dont use that method to put them back on lol

just ordered one :/ well over priced though! lol

i got one out ok with a 6 sided thing but the second one doesnt wanna budge! it slipped once so i pulled out to prevent damaging it!

woulda struggled on the other ones because my 6pt thing was too short anyway.

how long do TM-D normally take to deliver?

Oh shit cakes... I've rounded off One of the head bolts (even with the correct tool)! Please help before I go and fuck everything else up!

What are my options here?

I thought to try and get someone to weld a shit socket onto it an do it that way?!?

Any other ideas?

When this happened to my mates beamer, he drilled out the bolt, then tapped a thread and used a helicoil to get the thread back to the headbolts correct size.

Its not really ideal tbf, last resort.

i can see a disaster so far and will only get worse.

The starlet GT is definatly not a car for a novice like yourself to play around with. You may think its funny, but afterall, its you that will end up paying $$$$ to fix any stuff ups. Going by what is already in this thread, you should stop completely and give it to someone that knows what their doing.

i can see a disaster so far and will only get worse.

The starlet GT is definatly not a car for a novice like yourself to play around with. You may think its funny, but afterall, its you that will end up paying $$$$ to fix any stuff ups. Going by what is already in this thread, you should stop completely and give it to someone that knows what their doing.

what like you ? ^

i will be following this because i have a spare kncakered 4efte at my friends garage and i wanna get it on a stand and start stripping it down to see wwhat damage i did to the bootom end :) Then gonna try rebuild it all forged up with all the machine work and cleaning been done :( It worth a try as it will probs be cheaper then buying a prebuilt one i guess :( Allso i would get the chance to gain a lot of stuff i dont know about these enginess! :p

so yeah i ssay keep going! :p

dan