• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm maybe they were reused bolts and have been rounded before. give a machine shop a call and see what they have to say man. also i got a good engine building book from deamon tweeks. tells ya everything you would ever need to know and check when rebuilding an engine. just takes some time to read but its a good thing to have.

i can see a disaster so far and will only get worse.

The starlet GT is definatly not a car for a novice like yourself to play around with. You may think its funny, but afterall, its you that will end up paying $$$$ to fix any stuff ups. Going by what is already in this thread, you should stop completely and give it to someone that knows what their doing.

Mate are you for real.? how are you ever going to learn nything if you give it to someone else to do.?! jheeez :)

@ TheStarletGT - Thanks for your advice, but... If I don't do this I will never learn and will spend the rest of my life paying out ££££££££ for people to fix my cars! You gotta start somewhere and it's up to me if I have to/ need to spend a bit more money this one time, I will learn and pay less next time!

I have only seen a few posts from yourself on this forum, and you don't seem to have a great reputation which is the only thing I find funny as I thought your videos on YouTube where quite good... Maybe that's why this is in your eyes a disaster!

@ LukeH - I will be looking at drilling it out as a last resort, it sounds a bit risky! Lol thanks for turning TheStarletGT's negativity sideways and inserting it in his anal cavity!

@ birdmandan - I will be taking some pics on my journey, will put a little guide together when I get time :) "the noobs guide to the 4efte - with lots of help from everyone apart from TheStarletGT" :(

@ GTnomez - I was impatient and tried to remove it with a 6pt hex key! The first came out no problem but number two slipped... Then when the m9 spline tool arrived (from tm developments) it was too late and it was alread foo-barred!

@ RusselH - can you link me the book on here or in a pm? Sounds fandabbydosey!

@ ali_legend - you tell em booooiiii! Lol

stick with it man it is the only real way to learn is to get stuck in.

long shot but try putting a rubber glove over the end of the spline socket and get some pics up of the suspect bolt you are trying to move as some of us may be able to come up with a way of removing it.

@ the starlet gt i think you will find that these cars are one of the easiest engines to work on and not everyone has the $$$$ as you put it to just give it to someone who knows what they are doing.

dunno if it would fit down into the headbolt but you could try a snapon easy out reverse thread thing. i used them to get a snapped bottom end of the spark plug out of an engine. ill see if i can find a link.

somethin like one of these but dunno what size you would need.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P6...amp;dir=catalog

id put the other headbolts back in aswell just to take the strain off that one bolt. might help with gettin it out.

hope that gives ya a direction to go in :)

heres the link for the book. mine is the engine builders handbook but I've linked the choice page instead so u can see the other ones

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/...uning_Books/609

Russell

Hey

I know this information will come little to late to stripping your 4efte, but like you the exact same things happened when i was trying to get the head off mine for the first time. All i can say is that if you want to do work on the engine with the least amount of problems is get some decent tools, the money spent on this will save you loads in the future fudging stuff with tools that dont fit properly, exactly like i did with my dads old crap set!

Best £99 i ever spent was getting the Halfords Advanced tool set, its got everything you will need for the whole starlet pritty much and its been a bloody god send fixing stuff, no more rounded bolts and shitting my self thinking i had stripped nuts and bolts!

I think its on offer still for £99 reduced from £200, a worthwhile buy!

going to keep my eye on this wanting to get an engine on a stand and start striping it myself to learn. looked at a few guides for striping/rebuilding engines but only way to truely learn is to get stuck in at the deep end IMO :) and i agree with taggy the halfords advanced kits and shit hot for the money

Oi jack, let me give you a reality check.

When i was around 8yo i started pulling 2 stroke engines and car engines apart for fun and play, i used to read workshop manuals, i used to pull anything car related or engine related apart. This is where you normally start learning.

This is were i started learning about cars and engines. I sure as hell didnt take a bugatti veyron apart at the age of 8.

See the thing is, your at a age where your at my starting age of playing with engines. Its like me at 8 years old taking a evo 4g63 apart. You get it, your abit late dude. what were you doing all your life, playing with dolls or something. what happened to your boyhood taking apart cars stage, if any.

Mate, I spent my time disassembling electrical and electro-mechanical things like computers, printers, vcrs, DVD players and anything I could get my filthy hands on!

You make it sound like I will never learn anything ever again, but in reality, I've learnt a shed load and I haven't managed to even get the head off!

You seem to be offended at the fact that I may do well with this, and I think your trying to make it sound like nuclear science rather than mechanics. I understand that you've probably done this all of your life and some young gun, 21st century digital boy has come along with his forums and his PDFs and he's making a job that you would charge the world for cost a drop in the ocean

Surely it's only a few bolts holding some metal together?!? :) lol

^ Best thing you can do is just ignore his replies, pretend he is not in the thread!

If i were you and didnt want to waste another day, i would tried and get a bigger allen key and jam it in and use that ( like how if you rounded a bolt head, some would get a smaller one and hammer it over to fit)

OR

Just get a Hi speed drill, titanium tipped drill piece (for metal, not wood or anything) and drill the bastard out. You will be putting new headbolts in so you dont have to worry about them

thestarletgt is obviously past his learning age and never thot to learn not to be a tosser. anyways back to pretending hes not here.

uv got the right attitude mate. you learn soo quickly by just taking stuff apart and realising where everythin goes. after that its just learning about small things like using guages to check stuff etc. just get some decent tools and youl be on your way in no time. if u jump in at the deep end youl eventually manage. did that with my engine conversion 2 engines out both cars at same time and i hadnt even done it before but after a bit of stressing and using this forum alot for help i was done lol.

i can't argue with you trying your best fella, but if a socket, or spline tool slips, i wouldn't keep on trying to use it.

a good pair of mole grips if you do get stuck are very handy!

we all have to start somewhere fella!

Cheers guys... Lesson learnt! Lol I got a friend coming round that has seen this too many times (works at an independent garage) on Saturday morning that said he might have a "manly tool" for the job :thumbsup:

To anyone that's gonna be using this as a reference, I strongly advise only using the right tools for the job! No improvisation as it just bites you back in the arse!

The correct tool is an m9 spline tool that can be purchased at TM - Developments, or in a set from any good tool or motor factor!

riiiiighty!

quick update to piss on TheStarletGT's bonfire, The rounded bolt has now been removed sucessfully by my good friend Eli! He managed to drill a perfect pilot hole down the centre of the bolt and then increased the size of the bit until he could get a torx socket in the fresh hole (persuaded by a block hammer) and out it came with no damage :ph34r:

got the head off and the head gasket, and everything is looking good!

quick question... what shall i use to clean all of the shit off of the head and block? also it looks like a bar-b-q on the piston heads... cani clean it off and again what shall i use?

Thanks in advance!