Its finally happened, Prohibited my glanza

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it ll have to be lower than 74dB now because before its allowed on the road it will HAVE to have a deep insepection with a decibel meter ect

yeah but you live in norfolk dude back to my point before all the pp boys have exhausts twice as loud as mine and they live in essex londan and the police dont care its only round my area "/

They are a bunch of tossers, and just want to fcuk you over to collect revenue. I despise the force, I don't care who has family working in there or what have you. The real police are the ones who educate you, and let you off with a fair warning for something quite apparent to be futile. You're right, they can be tackling real crimes. I'm glad Surrey police is pondering force cuts, likewise with Thames Valley. A right of tossers (almost the majority).

your so right i have absolutely no respect for the police anymore not saying that to offend anyone probs really nice people outta work but i have no respect for them

nur spec is 60-70mm

so the 67mm should be perfect :lol:

thats my point mate this law seems only to be enforced to certain people ? which isnt fair, my cars being taken to the garage thursday to have the exhaust cut and a silencer put in and that, which shouldnt effect performance only noise "/

letter to the news

Hello there.

My name is Ben Barrett-Peck. I was recently on a program you did about the "D's" in Ipswich and "boy racers"

On this program I spoke to a Kim Reilly and said that I would not call myself a boy racer more of a car enthusiast, I also told him how because of what can now only be described as police "harassment" I would refuse to drive my car around certain areas of the county.

After your program was aired I drove my car to see my friend in Lowestoft and a police traffic car came behind me and DIDN'T pull me over, I assumed maybe someone had been told to back off??? Obviously thats only an assumption however I was left alone for a good 3-4 months until the harassment started again to say I drove my car, twice a week would be an exaggeration, however on my way back from seeing friends in Gt Yarmouth one night I was pulled over by a traffic officer, he asked if I knew why I had been pulled over, to which I said "I don't know as I wasn't speeding or anything" he then proceeded to tell me that my exhaust was too loud, he did a decibel check on it and said it was "illegally too loud" he said you can buy a baffle for these and that he suggested I put it in before driving my car again, he gave me a fixed penalty notice for the loud exhaust and sent me on my way. later I had my car tested with a baffle in that I brought off the forum (the police officer kindly visited me at home with a hand held tester, not the normal one as it was away being calibrated), however it was still above the 74dB that the police officer had stated. I looked into the surrounding laws of the exhausts arming myself with knowledge I went to ask another police officer what I was meant to do, did this mean I can never drive my car again? to which they replied "I cant tell you not to drive your car" I proceeded to borrow my parents car to get around while my pride and joy sat in the drive gathering dirt. I spoke to many people regarding this subject, as did my father, till we ended up talking to a traffic officer at Stanway Essex of 26 years about loud exhausts, he said we do not enforce that particular law around Essex, he said we will if at 2 o ' clock in the morning your racing around estates, we would enforce a section 59 Asbo on the car, but if your not being a nuisance eg revving at traffic lights etc we wouldn't bother with you.

So now I found myself at a fork in the road, I had discovered that the law seems to change as you change counties? I thought ridiculous the law is the law surely? however he was right after going on car forums I did find that people were in fact laughing at my story, they had "never herd anything so ridiculous"

but true enough if I was to drive my car to Colchester I would be left alone, if I was to drive in Suffolk I would be questioned until the other night, where the police officer told me he was issuing me with a prohibition notice which meant my car was never allowed on the road again after 23.59 10/06/11 until another officer of the law deemed my car to be allowed to driven on the road again.

Obviously I am now at my wits end, I am always polite to the police when they deal with me, I have no motoring convictions yet the police still choose to target me, its funny really I don't even drink... at all because I like driving so much, the main reason for me to contact you however is that I really feel this is one of my last resorts, I know I can file a complaint with the independent police complaints commission, but I would really like to see this put on the news, that there is a law that can be enforced, if say the police officer is having a quiet day/night or is just in a bad mood, and that this law is enforced differently county to county not only that but they seem to target young drivers especially, almost like the playground bully picking on the smaller weaker class mates as opposed to the older child thats more likely to stand up for themselves, it upsets me as well that when I was in Gt Yarmouth with my friends and all the cars were along the sea front, there were traffic officer's in their cars at either end with all these cars driving around with loud exhausts yet they did nothing? I honestly feel like a victim here of what I would call police harassment and victimization. again I understand that my exhaust is illegal according to the police officers, but if mine is illegal then so is anybodies else's and the police should not just prey on people like my that work 5 days a week to save up for bits too their car as its their passion. obviously there is more to this story but I feel i have told you the key points.

Taking on a different approach the law states that the decibel level while on tick over is 74dB for a 2 wheel drive and 82 for a four wheel drive, have you ever stood behind a Ferrari on tick over this is quite loud, but the police will tell you it is just engine noise and not exhaust noise (how they can tell the difference baffles me) the same applies to a Harley motorbike which I am sure you have heard the noise they make????????

• 3 months later...

Why the aggression towards the police?

They don't make the law they just try to uphold it

Imagine the officers just letting everyone get away with breaking the law like that...they loose their job then are unable to feed and support their family..

Totally understand your aggression but don't take it out on the wrong people!

forgot to post

turns out they were lying i dont hate all police just the ones patroling lowestoft and bullying so 2wd is 74dB 4/AWD is 82db

IMPORTS 100db there you go spoke to an honest traffic officer :)