Browner's 1.5 5e Boxy Starlet EP70 - NEW UPDATE - Rare EP71 Bonnet Fitted

This is my mint EP70 Boxy Starlet. The car is very, very clean inside and out. The car is almost completely original and very tidy underneath. All glass is original and stamped with the cars registration number.

It has complete 1.5 5e Cynos running gear. 5efe engine with 67,000 miles on the clock. Engine and gearbox are very dry underneath and the car drives well although it's like going back in time compared to the Glanza lol

Mint Cynos 5 speed box also fitted. You can really notice the longer gears of the Cynos box as the car revs and pulls all the way out

Cynos disk brakes front and back

Mint GT turbo front and rear seats

TRD rear spoiler

Tein Coilovers

Apexi exhaust (sounds like a roaring V-tec with a Toyota badge on it lol)

Carbon fiber induction kit (Not fitted in the pics below)

Nardi Steering Wheel

Sitting on Sparco nsII's (y1r's on rear)

Just taxed the car for 3 months today and have a few bits to do for the NCT to get it through.

New brake pads have just been fitted to the front and fitted brand new rear pads today.

I want to keep the car as original as possible so today I replaced the Nardi steering wheel with a mint standard one as my hands kept hitting off the stalks with the Nardi steering wheel fitted.

I have a new, freshly polished rocker cover to fit and a new set of blue NGK performance leads also.

I am on the hunt for more standard parts now and gonna give it a good clean the weekend.

I am toying with the idea of a TD04 turbo conversion aswel just want to research it a bit more first.

Some pics http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

boxy2.jpg

boxy1.jpg

boxy.jpg

boxy4.jpg

boxy5.jpg

boxy3.jpg

boxy7.jpg

boxy6.jpg

boxy11.jpg

boxy10.jpg

boxy9.jpg

Okay a few more updates now folks...

My NCT is coming up this week so I've been busy doing bits and pieces with the car and tidying it up a bit...

First things first I changed the Nardi steering wheel for this mint original beauty (don't mind the state of the interior it's getting a good clean once the work is finished lol)

101_0343.jpg

When I lifted up the rear parcel shelf I seen this bad tear in the back seats. I never would have noticed it tucked under the parcel shelf nor would anyone else but I just had to change it. Eventually I got a set of clean rear GT Turbo seats. I want the car minty mint and this was just annoying me. Whoever said it's an easy job to fit GT Turbo seats to a boxy Starlet is a liar too... lol

Before:

101_0337.jpg

And replaced with a mint new seat:

101_0342.jpg

The interior is mint but there is a tiny tear in the driver's seat and the plastic cover for the handle on the side is missing so anyone with a mint GT Turbo driver's seat please let me know...

101_0344.jpg

This sticker on the window from the previous owner was also bugging me

101_0338.jpg

So a with a DIY heatgun (my mam's stolen hairdryer), some petrol and a CD I got it off...

101_0339.jpg

I had to change the noisy straight through Exhaust system from the manifold back and replace it with this new NCT proof beast!

101_0336.jpg

While the Apexi N1 backbox was off I gave it a thorough polish...

101_0347.jpg

Off with the old black reg plates

101_0332.jpg

I also got a mint font Grill with original Toyota badge so I removed the current grill which was resparyed and the Starlet badge had been painted with Tipp Ex by someone and the grill cut and mesh placed behind it. It sits a lot better now with the new grill.

101_0331.jpg

101_0330.jpg

I wanted to be different from the usual Superlites etc so after weeks of searching I finally got a set of standard 14" Toyota Glanza alloys. I am going to paint them the same colour as the car. I think they will suit it nicely. I even got a fifth wheel as a spare and wrapped the front's with sticky Hankook rubber and Accellera's on the back...

101_0319.jpg

Engine wise I have replaced the old push type distributor cap with a clip-type dizzy cap from a Glanza to suit my new blue Ultra leads. These are the best leads you can get I fully recommend them. I also made up a new induction kit pipe and fitted a HKS Mushroom filter and done away with the cheap carbon look filter from before. I removed the faded old rocker cover and replaced it with a freshly polished Glanza turbo rocker cover. Along with this was a blue alloy oil cap and a blue breather filter.

101_0333.jpg

101_0334.jpg

101_0335.jpg

I tidied up the wiring in the engine bay, replaced the missing battery clamp, wired in a new horn which was missing and replaced the two handbrake cables to the rear disc brakes. I also cleaned the throttle body as it was sticking slightly.

I also replaced the missing cigarette lighter with a new one. All small stuff really but trying to put the car back as original as possible.

Next on the list is a set of original Toyota speakers http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

If anyone has an original Toyota CD player / radio I will have it along with the GT Turbo driver's seat. I am also looking for a GT Turbo washer bottle / coolant bottle, the double one. The one in the car now was painted silver and looks utterly terrible so want to replace that and keep the car as fresh looking as possible.

I done a lot of research in regards doing a turbo conversion on the car but I love the n/a raspy exhaust so I am going to leave it as it is. I will fit a thinner headgasket to higher the compression and maybe advance the timing slightly. I am also looking to order a stainless steel manifold from America for it to brighten up the engine bay a bit and help with exhaust flow.

I will put up more pics of how the car sits now soon

Well lads I changed around the intake a bit and made a custom intake pipe fitted with a HKS mushroom filter. Number one the car is now drinking petrol and number two the power of the car has dropped significantly. I think the filter is simply sucking hot air out of the engine bay which is useless.

I have bought a full standard air box kit with original cold air feed to the front panel that came out of a 98 granny starlet http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png Along with this I got a HKS performance panel filter from Japan

101_0434.jpg

I hope the new cold air feeding into the intake will improve things once again. I have decided to order a brand new polished Civic rad and a polished Stainless steel 4-2-1 exhaust manifold. These are on the way from America as we speak http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png My glanza is getting custom cams made up for it in England so I will put my old 5efhe cams into the boxy and change the headgasket for a thinner one shortly. 5efhe cams are about .8mm-1mm higher lift than standard 5efe cams. New black vintage reg plates have also been ordered to freshen it up a bit. The car is slowly coming together http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

Recently I picked up an extremely rare ep71 starlet turbo bonnet. There was only ever 29 ep71 starlet turbos imported into Ireland so that will tell you just how lucky I was to find one! :)

The bar grill did not fit correctly with the new bonnet and sat way in underneath, so instead of getting an ep71 turbo grill I wanted to maintain the original look of the car. Custom brackets were made to push the front grill out in line with the bonnet for an excellent finish.

A lad I knew had two brand new wings and a brand new lower stonegaurd panel all in the original Toyota packaging so while I was painting the bonnet I got them painted and fitted too. A new spoiler was fitted to the rear boot as the old one was a wee bit rough and the boot de-wipered and painted.

This is the car as it sits... Ready for it's final flatten, compound and polish...

image_zpsd5124fc1.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Browner.

Edited by Browner

Yeah I hated the wheels aswel mate. They are gone off the car now. Wanted to do something unique and not go down the Superlites route so have 14" standard Glanza alloys here getting painted in 040 white for it

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@ Taggy PM me who you found to make them. Plenty of lads over here chance their arm at them but I have seen some with dodgy lines and fitting. I can source you a proper one if you like.

@Mark lol I don't like sitting on top of the steering wheel like driving like an oul one! Lol

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...