Danb's Nissan Silvia....

Well seeing as im bored at work, what better ways then to create this, showing the start of my project to where it is up to currently - sorry for all the pictures :)

So my car started its life out as a UK 95 S14, i owned this for around 10 months and noticed the rust was starting to get the better of the shell, and it would be needing a lot of welding for its next MOT.

Luckily Tuning Developments bought a drift spec s14 silvia import that was a part finished project - they bought it to break for parts, and the shell was immaculate, plus it had a welded in roll cage, so we struck a deal between us to reshell my engine into this one :)

Removing my SR20 from my old maroon UK shell ( Summer 2010)

1d8dbbd4.jpg

Picture of the engine...

15ba7a70.jpg

The new donor shell :)

43d9a98b.jpg

52572015.jpg

Engine and box fitted

07bb2138.jpg

313b74d5.jpg

The interior was a bit patchy, so whilst nick was working on some other customers cars, i repainted the interior (same colour)

a6d66615.jpg

df01db4c.jpg

The first road test and getting the car ready for its MOT

070c391a.jpg

Edited by Danb

passed its MOT 2 days before Japfest 2 (2011), so trundled down to Rockingham for its first outing, and went out and did a track session as a bit of a shake down to see what it felt like - all good - no problems!

da19ca7a.jpg

d3bea362.jpg

Then it was off to JAE - not much of a car show - just an excuse for a drink with the Tuning Developments lot after a busy summer :)

02789261.jpg

6b593fd6.jpg

When it was reshelled, the intercooler was damaged, so i bought a new one, however was missold it - and it was smaller than i needed it to be, so finally got a larger one and fitted that

fca28fa5.jpg

I attended an SXOC rolling road day at Dyno Demon towards the end of 2010, the car made 315bhp at just under 1.1 bar - (SR20, Norris Designs 28 Hyrbid, nismo 555s, Z32 maf, Nistune ECU, FMIC), Nick mapped the car, and i asked for a safer map then what he would usually do - as the engine has done around 135k, but had a bottom end rebuild by nissan at 60k, but wanted to air on the side of caution.

ac93b3b7.jpg

I also decided to mess around with the interior, i dropped on a set of Cobra Monaco seats (suited my fat arse!) and also some Sabelt 4 point harnesses.

when i first bought the 200, i treated myself to some Defi Gauges, however i wanted a 60mm boost gauge and fancied a change, so i sold them and bought some Stri gauges (cheaper then 2nd hand defis!) and the same quality - very impressed!

I also got a Stri shift light aswell to match....

60mm boost gauge on drivers door - vent mounted

d5aaf375.jpg

3x52mm (oil pressure/temp and water temp) - below the controller unit and digital RPM readout for stri shiftlight

2a14e282.jpg

Stri shift light

a9623cb6.jpg

I also decided to buy a Japspeed BGW - thought it would finish the car off nicely :)

7eae7f73.jpg

I also dropped on a pair off Nismo split rims, that i decided to refurb in the colours of the car

8ed8a4db.jpg

Edited by Danb

In April/May 2011 I had some spare money and thought id spend it on a conversion i always wanted to do since getting my S14 - putting an RB engine in to my car!

So i set about looking around for an R33 (opted for a 25 as opposed to a 26 as its easier to do), i was going to scrap the shell so i wasnt too concerned about the body work, just the engine and modifications were important to me - the plan was to run about 400bhp on a standard engine but with a metal head gasket.

Anyway i found a GTST in london in black - little bit of rust, with an RSP hybrid, fmic, power fc, and other supporting modifcations and was pushing 350bhp and just needed bigger injectors,so the deal was done and i would go back down the following week to pick the car up.

On the way home, i discovered that the car was smoking towards the top of the rev range and was only running on 5 cylinders, i quick compression test found that cylinder 1 had 40 psi compression, the rest were very healthy.

0f91ab5d.jpg

7d16ae2b.jpg

I stripped the car of its parts to sell to recoup some of the money that i shelled out for the car - the idea was that the money recouped would pay for the conversion, and for modifications to take it too a safe 400.

When Nick removed the engine and stripped it down, 3 of the ringlands had been damage, number 1 have of the piston was disloged and had scored the block - i was hoping that i could just buy some used pistons, and put some fresh rings and new bearings and do that, however with the scored block, this wasnt an option.

I mulled it over for a few weeks whilst nick and mike worked some prices out for me, and before i knew it, i had agreed that we would forge the engine

Cometic head gasket set

CP pistons

eagle rods

ACL race series bearings

N1 pump

new water pump

ARP bolts

also having work carried out on the block head and crank to help the oil flow.

All the parts are currently with the machine shop - just waiting on the N1 pump which is currently on back order in japan.

I have also treated myself to a new plenum to go onto the car aswell

300886d8.jpg

August 2011

Well the engines not been at the top of the priority list (just bought a house) but here's the engine finally all built up - just need to put the rocker covers back on.

I have opted for a holset hx35 turbo - just need to sort me some injectors now :)

1a318ae1.jpg

I also bought some second hand tomei poncams, so these were added to the engine build.

After doing some reasearch, instead of spedning £600 on some 740cc injectors, the rx7 secondary 850cc ijectors fit, they just need a custom collar making up - so I decided i will go down this route as it should cost me around £2-250 max! A nice saving :)

Having owned the holset for around a month or so, I started to worry that the turbo wouldnt give me what i wanted without being a bit laggy, luckily a friend of a firend was selling a garrett gt35 turbo that was pushing 600bhp on his evo, so i decided to buy that and sell the holset.

3A2987F2-3154-47AC-BD22-310E32BD4EB2-267-000000C3B018627F.jpg

Edited by Danb

Bit more of an update from earlier this year

Out with the old SR :)

9254e593.jpg

Cleaning the engine bay up

b05b7b3f.jpg

Painting new subframe and gearbox

b964718b.jpg

Test fit :D

Front slam panel cut and radiator mounted :)

df33acc6.jpg

After speaking to a few people who have ran some ebay manifolds, i decided that i would sell it and buy a proper steam pipe (mild steel) manifold from austrailia. ended up costing me around £600 second hand by the time postage and customs where paid for - still aroudn half price of what they are new.

bc415fd8.jpg

9e912b00.jpg

Edited by Danb

Custom downpipe with screamer plumbed back in for now.

c9e9c261.jpg

Oh and she now moves :)

2462fc44.jpg

July 2012

a1a89909.jpg

Thought id another pic of my engine bay :) added an sfs breather hose that I got off boost junkies at japfest a few weeks ago.

Started running the engine in - done around 160 or so miles, but start getting a miss fire after 20mons or so, nailed it down to coil packs so been ringing round last week to find out prices and who had what stock etc, ended up gettin some yellow jackets from performance wise - went to them via there website as rsp don't do them anymore , worked out at £270 delivered (plus customs if it gets stopped).

Come with a 2 year warranty and from reviews on skyline austrailia seem like a good choice and £150 cheaper than splitfires :)

Hopefully be here within a week :)

This fixed my missfire issue :) So was able to start to do some proper mileage on the engine and get it ran in.

I also ordered my new ecu a wolf V500 from Tuning Developments, it will allow me to remove the MAF that sits in front of the turbo, and replace it for onboard map sensor - so much better then the link ECU, and 100 times better then the power fc and its 20year old technology.

That takes us up until the last month or so

Ive finally got my injectors all sorted out now, just awaiting on my new seals to arrive.

Car at JAE:

Car featured in Octobers Banzai issue :

2313AD23-121E-46B4-94A7-8CBC819CADEB-3394-0000017B99671608-3.jpg

Edited by Danb

cheers guys :)

I miss my startlet and will be going back to some sort of smaller track based car in a couple of years as i get married next year and want to start a family, so will be selling this at some point but will still have a weekend play toy - would love a mk1 grey starlet- who knows!

I cant really give it any abuse, as its on a sort of custom base map on power fc and weve not done any significant boost runs when we set it up. There was a delay at my end, and i wasnt supposed to be running on the PFC for this long, so it will be going to Tuning Developments in the next month or so, then it can be mapped properly on the wolf. Cant wait!

Fitted a short shifter at weekend, makes a massive difference in the throw and driveability :)

So over the next 4-6 weeks the car will be off to TD (all being well) for its new management, then when its back i can start to tidy the car up a bit for next year, need to paint the grille and the wing mirrors, as they are just finished in black pastic at the moment,so they will be going gloss black the same as the bonnet/roof/boot.

Also going to refurb my track wheels aswell, will be in the same colour, the paints starting to lift and peel.

If i have the time, will also tidy up the interior and give that a quick respray as thats chipped in a few places due to normal wear and tear.

Also i thought id add a quick spec list::

Engine

RB25 – rebuilt engine (new water pump, cambelt kit inc pulleys)

CP Pistons 0.5mm overbore,

Eagle Rods,

ACL race engine bearings,

ARP headstuds,

Cometic headgasket 1.3mm

N1 Oil pump,

Crank Collar

Oil control modifications to head

Tomei poncams

Plazmaman Style Inlet

Exhaust Innovations Steam Pipe manifold – coated in ceramic black

Garrett GT35r turbo (0.63 housing)

Tial MVS 44 wastegate in red

Koyo Radiator

Mocal Oil Cooler

Large Front mounted intercooler

Custom downpipe (wastegate plumbed back in)

Japspeed cat back exhaust

RX7 850cc Injectors with custom collars

Tuning developments fuel pump

Transmission

RB25 gearbox

Clutchmasters FX400 Clutch

Clutchmasters Flywheel

Custom Prop

Braided clutch line

Nismo 2 Way diff

Shortshifter

Electronics

Stri Racing Gauges (oil temp & pressure, water temp, boost)

Stri Shift Light

Blitz DSBC Spec R Boost controller

Power FC &Hand controller

Chassis

Apex coilovers

Apex front tension rods

Apex rear camber arms

Apex toe rods

Apex traction rods

Solid subframe bushes

Front Upper and lower & Rear Strut braces

Nismo Power brace

Weld in roll cage with side bars

Braking

Evo brembo front calipers

EBC Orangestuff pads

Godspeed discs

Skyline R33 rear calipers

Hydraulic handbrake

HEL braided lines

Larger BMC and stopper

Wheels

URAS NS01 wheels 17x9 (track)

Nismo LMGT2 Wheels 17x9 (daily)

Body/Interior

EPR Racing 25mm front vented wings

Flared rear arches

URAS Style Kit – Front/rear bumper & side skirts

Japspeed big gay wing

LED Rear lights

Custom vented bonnet

Finished in Mercedes white & gloss black with Kawasaki green interior/wheels.

Sabelt 3” Harnesses

Cobra Monaco S bucket seats

• 2 weeks later...

Well i was bored on sunday, so i decided i would do some spraying, the mirrors i have were finished in the black abs plastic from new and i never painted them (was day before a show - this was 18 months ago!) and they were fading to grey, also my grille has seen better days, so painted them both in a gloss black.

Primer

3FCD37A3-4543-4B05-89FA-56BCD19B0436-2066-0000010056F36712.jpg

Paint

1B3412A1-1E06-487C-A4A1-55C6BBB58F5A-2066-00000100613D4374.jpg

Drying - mrs wasnt happy about the conservatory decorations!

F397DAD6-8322-4E5B-83C1-F16C25659918-2066-0000010082E8366D.jpg

Grille

216DFA50-BBA5-4464-B96A-D1880720B9D6-2066-000001003296D1A7.jpg

Mirrors

54D4CC3B-1D1C-4C05-B006-2C3D70EF2AE5-2066-000001004357445F.jpg

03BA420A-C8A7-4E4C-BE02-E673E086FBDE-2066-0000010049348FD3.jpg

Really happy with the finish off them, and colour match aint too bad. I said i was going to refurb my green track wheels myself, but found somewhere who will do it for £35 a wheel (inc tyre off/on balancing) so going to be taking my spare pair to them this weekend for them to do.

• 9 months later...

Yeah this thread has been neglected by me - my bad!!!

Where to start......

Got a pair of solid green uras wheels refurbed - need to go back and get the other pair done!

well i ditched the plazmaman style inlet manifold as i was able to find an original greddy inlet manifold with a larger 90mm Q45 throttle body.

I had a change of heart and decided that why im spending so much money on the car, i may aswell not skrimp on the injectors, so instead of putting the rx7 850cc injectors in, I got Mike @ TD to order me some ID1000s (they will cope with 1000bhp so no need for bigger!), however this getting a new fuel rail as the ID1000 are top feed, so good old ebay and chinese products, i bought a cheap hks style fuel rail.

Im now on my WOLF V550 ecu, finally been able to ditch my power FC and Z32 maf, when the car went to TD for mapping i asked them to replace a few tappets as when the car was off the road at the beginning of the year, some of them had seized up and making an annoying tapping sound, so this was done, however upon them building the car back up and starting the car in 6 months, it had dropped a cylinder (prior to it going off the road i thought it had dropped a cylinder but dismissed it thinking it was just coilpack issue), anyway a compression test confirmed that there was no compression on cylinder 6, however a borescope confirmed that pistons were ok. So the head was stripped apart again and had to come off, and found a small chip in one of the valves.

Due to this delay Nick didnt have suffice time to put a full map on the car, so its only running a bar of boost and on a very safe map - but enough for me to take it round donnington at japfest 2. Sadly after my 2 sighting laps and 1 quick lap my session was brought to an end, as a silicone joiner next to the exhaust manifold got rather warm (didnt melt) but it expanded and kept popping off. Ive now sorted it and got a friend to fabricate me a new hot side intercooler pipe - testing has proved successful.

Off to the ring in a few weeks, so ill get some videos up :)

got some pictures to upload but cant access photobucket atm.