Blocking td04 waterway

I wouldnt block the water ways to your turbo!

Water is put into the turbo for a reason to worm the turbo up from cold as water heats up faster then oil! And iwater is feed into the turbo to keep it cool when the oil is red hot!

i run with the turbo not being water cooled and its fine. ive got a oil temperature gauge just wait for oil to get up to temp then use the turbo. a turbo gets really hot when boosting all the time watever water you put through it wont cool it.

The worry is coking up the bearings by over heating the oil in them as they are kept cool by the water, aslong a the oils kept fresh and you warm and cool your car/turbo you shouldnt have too much to worry about, as the oil is getting pumped through it the rest of the time. Its only if the cars switched off whilst the turbos really hot that this would happen.

But personally id source a new turbo with good waterways just for the peice of mind

Edited by morgey

I must admit I don't run a water line just don't give it any till oil has warmed up and then drive it off boost when I'm on the way home from anywhere for the last 10min of a journey then your oil cools and works its way back through your turbo etc anyway

If turbos where fine to run without water then why dose every turbo on the planet have water fed into it?

Everone has there own opinion but i wouldnt run without water fed into my turbo! If you think about it if the turbo is at full beans for quite some time its going to glow more then it would with water fed into it thats just common sense to know that

Which would kill power because the turbo isnt getting cooled as much as it would with water going through it!

Also going off the heat factor

The bearings in 90% of turbochargers are a full floating bronze bushes and the hotter the turbo gets the more things expand and the oil gets thinner so the bearing will wear down quicker give more shaft play and befor you know it you'll be changing the turbo for a new one! and if you are paying like 2k for a new turbo then you dont want to be going through turbos like no tomorrow..Thats my thoughts anyway lol

Edited by micky boy

All valid points micky boy but the td04's originally get slapped on 2 to 2.5 litre engines that could give em some serious hammer and get em glowing it would take us in our 1.3's + would take a hell of a lot longer to give it that kind of abuse and to justify the water to cool it down that much of a considerable amount and yes it may affect the life of the turbo in the long run as people also say that chatter kills em aswel but when a td04 can be picked up at like £50 I don't think many people are going to see it as an issue plus tuning companies wouldn't let u drive off with something that is wrong or would cause your car / set up harm or damage At any fast rate

Yeah im just going off other turbos aswell not just the TD04 that you can get for £50

At the end of the day the turbo might not be getting worked as much as it would on a 20L or a 2.5L but the 1.3L engine is

At 20L flows more air/gas then a 1.3L there for it dont get no where near as hot! dont mean because the turbo isnt getting worked as hard its not getting hot the engine is so there for the turbo will be to!

I have tracked a TD04 to death on the starlet with no water lines and have never had any problems, what I did have problems with which is what prompted me to do it after bit of research was when i cooked my engine on track with the lines attached.

The rad system on the starlet is quite small and high temp track use boiled my coolant and i spun a bottom end bearing, bloody starlets have no warning system when its overheating and i missed the guage poiting into the red in the heat of racing an evo lol!!

I do have mine attached at the moment as my new turbo came with lines but if i went on track i would block them off, its just an extra heat source into the rad system you could do without.

:)

Edited by Taggy

It is fine to run without water lines. The oils primary job is to lubricate, its second function is to cool. The water feed is there to prolong the life if the turbo.

I do agree though, if its got the water feed/lines you might as well use them. But since a td series turbo can be picked up for peanuts I wouldn't be so worried. But I know for a fact I'll be using oil and water lines on my £1200 turbo, everyone has their own opinion though.

I have tracked a TD04 to death on the starlet with no water lines and have never had any problems, what I did have problems with which is what prompted me to do it after bit of research was when i cooked my engine on track with the lines attached.

The rad system on the starlet is quite small and high temp track use boiled my coolant and i spun a bottom end bearing, bloody starlets have no warning system when its overheating and i missed the guage poiting into the red in the heat of racing an evo lol!!

I do have mine attached at the moment as my new turbo came with lines but if i went on track i would block them off, its just an extra heat source into the rad system you could do without.

:)

What core is your Civic rad Taggy? just i had a single core civic rad on my old glanza and found that the rad fan was coming on way quicker then what it was useing the OEM rad!!

Edit just had a look in your build thread you have the same rad as what i had! Im not to keen on them at all maybe you could do with like a tripple core? that could of been the reason why you boiled the water!!!!

And yeah Adam i agrre for the price of TD04's i would be so worried either but when you are paying silly money for a new turbo then it would be best to use the water feed!..After all every little bit of cooling a turbo can get give it!

Edited by micky boy