Beans kp60 3 door running a 5k on bike carbs

i know i literately unbolted and lifted the wings off then a quick wipe with a cloth that was handy and that was it. the cars only had 2 previous owners and i bought it from this cool guy (also called paul lol) he said the mileage was all original and i think its got about 50k on the clock.

the diff has been changed when the lsd was fitted so the speedo doesnt match up now. you need to show about 90-95mph on the speedo do be doing 70mph on gps. so if the clocks are genuine they will be reading slightly higher than what the car has actually done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i dont know where to start for the body work so thats on hold until i decide what im doing. So i started to strip the 5k down.

IMAG0827.jpg

IMAG0839.jpg

the engine is very clean inside so it cant have done many miles since it was built. the bores look nice and the hone marks are still there and there was no crap in the sump or on the oil strainer.

The head work looks good on the ports, i tried to get a picture showing

IMAG0822.jpg

the ports are really polished and taken right out to the gasket.

the exhaust ports dont have much build up in them either

IMAG0825.jpg

head off

IMAG0837.jpg

IMAG0839.jpg

ive been told that the engine has kent valve springs but ive no paper work to prove it. i dont have any stock valve springs to compare but can any of you guys tell if these look like the stock springs of if there the kent ones?

IMAG0829.jpg

Some of them have what looks like pinky peach paint on them

a bit more progress got the cam out today and timing gear off.

IMAG0845.jpg

IMAG0840.jpg

i have a complete brand new complete twin timing chain kit that should fit this.

and the mystery cam turned out to be a Kent t125

IMAG0844.jpg

Then go all the way for the T254 for maximum Performance. I'd do it if I'd tune a K Engine.

im not going for the t254 im going to get a T126 regrind. it should hopefully give the car a bit more power but still run ok lower down due to the bike carbs. The car still started and ticked over perfectly on the T125 which i think was down to the bike carbs so im thinking the T126 should still not be too bad low down. Ive got a few other ideas for it one of them is sending the dizzy to H+H for them to modify the ignition curve to the spec of the engine. As when the car was on the dyno the tuner said the ignition wasnt that advanced up the revs.

I think the T254 would really be more aimed at an engine with bigger valves, maybe a higher cr with different pistons ect.

Why havent i seen this till now :o Awesome!!! so clean under the wings, seen a 6 month old merc worse than that lol, defo keepin my eye on this :D

cheers mate, yeah its a really clean shell, theres a few bits that need attention like under the bonnet and a bit on the boot but its not much for the ages of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah too many projects on the go, I've been re wiring a 32 year old arcade machine, got it working now though. Also just got a mig welder so I've been playing with that.

• 3 months later...

thanks guys it sure is a cool old beast.

Im hoping i will get the head back tonight, cant wait to see it! next im wanting the flywheel lightened so i need to decide what weight i want it to be. i know a guy with a lathe who could remove the material from it then im hoping the machine place down the road would balance it for me with the crank and the pulley on. its built for some revs this thing! Its going to be an expensive little engine by the time its back together. i got a brand new genuine full engine gasket kit from Toyota for it the other week. so apart from some head bolts i think ive got everything i need now. except maybe a new water pump, probably re use the oil pump if its in good condition.

Edited by Bean

Head update!

Today my kent valve springs arrived. as it turns out my car didnt have them when i thought it did which is strange when it already had a t125 cam in it??? So i dropped the springs off with my mate and he put them in for me. The heads had a bit of work heres some pics.

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/westcoastbean/media/KP/20130508_202448_zps6c0a392a.jpg.html'>20130508_202448_zps6c0a392a.jpg

exhaust ports you can almost see your reflection in them

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/westcoastbean/media/KP/20130508_202258_zps56beaa8a.jpg.html'>20130508_202258_zps56beaa8a.jpg

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/westcoastbean/media/KP/20130508_202148_zps1dfbc020.jpg.html'>20130508_202148_zps1dfbc020.jpg

inlet ports have a mottled finish

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/westcoastbean/media/KP/20130508_202233_zps3894a5b0.jpg.html'>20130508_202233_zps3894a5b0.jpg

the valves were all cleaned up and lapped back in too, new stem seals ect.

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/westcoastbean/media/KP/20130508_201927_zps37bcee09.jpg.html'>20130508_201927_zps37bcee09.jpg

Cant wait to get it back together!

Yeah thats right. Without going in particle physics (which i know nothing about lol) i think its best the inlet side is left slightly ruff.

And taggy youve no chance! you would have to prise the keys from my corpse lol.

Edited by Bean

Cheers Sacha yeah there a rare car these days. If you want one better get one snapped up and get the welder out. Is there many about in Sri Lanka?

It took alot of searching to find that dizzy cap. Back in the day they were quite popular I believe.