Studoc72's 1AO Glanza

Alright guys well its been a long time coming but I thought I may aswell start a build thread 5 years after buying the car lol.

Ill do the word works then add pics when I can this will be a long MOFO 1st post lol.

Bought the car in the spring of 2008 after spending a good while looking for an unubused example without spending £6k on a fresh import. I found mine on PH went through to Edinburgh to have a look and bought it for £3500. It was one of the most immaculate I had seen even though it had done 104000km it didnt look like it had done a yard over 50k.

The only mods in the car were a Sony explod CD player, a pair of infiniti 6x9's and a set of Assis JDM alloy wheels.

I could not have been happier with it.

(will try and find an advert pic when on my home pc but not sure)

IMG_20120318_122349.jpg

So after picking it up naturally I headed straight for the petrol station before the journey home filled her up, insured her and off we went. Being 18 and this being my 1st boosted car the jump was quite alot and me and a friend had endless fun with the power on the motorway on the way home.

After a few weeks of owning the car I noticed a terrible knocking noise on acceleration had it on the ramp at work to check and noticed the drivers side engine mount was loose from when the timing belt had just been done. Good that i noticed it nice and early.

At the time my plans were to keep the car completely standard and to try and basically add plenty optionals to the car and make her a very clean example.

So 1st was light mods (bearing in mind at this point I had no idea of the forums and was a relative noob to the starlet world) so I pursued ebay in my desire for mods.

1st up I had to replace the mix and match mats in the car I had 1 passagers OE mat and both rear ones but 2 rear rubber 1s instead of a drivers mat which just wouldn't do. I purchased the custom fit ones from monster motorsport with the Glanza Emblem stitched in (still have these today and still in great shape would recomment them to anyone).

I then got HID's from a supplier online and a Bailey's DV from ebay as they were all over the place at the time and all was well.

IMG_20120407_235343.jpg

Months of driving i decided to freshen up the car and rather than have my JDM wheels refurbed as a noob I instantly went out and bought new ones. I chose the Kei Fuji 15" wheels which I felt were plain enough to go on an old car without looking out of place. I ordered them direct from Kei as they were on offer at the time I also bought some Greenstuff front pads.

IMG_20111119_102055.jpg

Then as winter began to creep in me and the Mrs went to the cinema on the way home I was on the dual carriage way and a fox ran out in front of us. I changed lane but the fox continued to cross It then froze in the headlights so I changed back lanes and as soon as I did the fox decided to retreat and the inevetable happened.... I pulled into the very next lay by and got out to assess the damage I was already raging because of the dumb ass fox. The results were not good. Headlight mounting brackets Fucked Bumper Fucked Splitter Fucked It was fair to say this wasnt my night.

After cooling down I went to body shop my work used in the next few days and they repaired the bumper and splitter I ordered 2 brand spanking new Headlights from toyota which my work would allow me to pay for in installments due to them being £240.

Then when winter set in I began to notice a loud drone from the rear of the car and it bogging down...yep my rear brakes were the next thing to be tackled back to ebay it was where I found 2 rear grooved disks and calipers and a new set of pads which I managed to steal for £80. I ordered new cables from Camskill and got it all fitted at the next oppportunity.

This was around the time I had just joined UKSC and wasnt on very often I posted topics for new bumpers when I hit the fox and others.

When I started coming on more frequently I then bought some WRX seats from a member fitted them straight in and off I went again. He also had a friend who I got in contact to for a respray as because of the damage the freshly painted front bumper didn't match the rest of the car.

IMG_20111119_102124.jpg

IMG_20111119_101946.jpg

IMG_20111119_102039.jpg

Next move was to replace the 14 year old standard suspension which had 0 oil in the shocks and the springs had sank to ridiculous levels. It actually looked really good because of how low it was but the ride was awful. Poor in the coners and ever bump felt like you had just came off a kerb. Back to ebay I went where I watched some different set ups pass until I came across a Potenza Shock and HKS spring combo and bidded on it.

When I received them they came minus the top strut mounts but I carried on to fit them done the back ones with no difficulty at all. Then on to the fronts where mine were slightly shot but I'd dealt with worse. Only I discovered the shock rod would not pass through my top mount the hole was too small (we all wish to experience this once in our lives) at the time I more frequently used TGTT I quickly came to the conclusion that I needed EP82 top mounts and Rory from TGTT very kindly dug a set out and sent them to me. Again these didnt fit but I noticed a tiny bit of destorted metal on the top after 30 secs with a file they slipped on perfectly.

IMG_20120322_182419.jpg

IMG_20120322_182630.jpg

My next move was to go for an exhaust I wanted an HKS Hi power Silent to keep noises down but in the end got a Blitz nur Spec R from this very forum I believe. Had the standard one removed and that fitted and all was good.

Months went past where I wasn't sure where to go next with the car I was caught between modding it and keeping it standard. After plenty of thought as you would expect modding prevailed.

I found a member who was selling a brand new CT9 zisco decat already heatwrapped.

Another from near by me I met and picked up an HKS actuator pillar panel pods with boost pressure and oil temp gauges.

I got in on James' group buy for Indiglo dials which of course I fitted as soon as they had arrived.

IMG_20120504_225724.jpg

To add to my pile which was now emerging I got an ARC rep IC from Ebay a Jperformance mani from Craig EP91 and a shagged Tongs CT9 from Hazzagray. I dropped the CT9 for new seals to my local speciaist.

Next on the list was to tackle the incresingly rising clutch pedal so shopped around and decided on a Greenspeed unit. There was slight confusion at my end as I bought an Exedy organic clutch for £115 thinking it was stage 1 only to find out it was a standard replacement thankfully the guys at the clutch shop were kind enough to give me the Greenspeed item for the same price as a gesture of goodwill.

IMG_9876-1.jpg

Fitted it and low and behold it was still a terrible pedal. So I then Proceeeded to buy a lightweight toda flywheel from Stavros in the hope this would cure the problem.

I couldn't bring myself to be pulling the gearbox off again as I used the car daily so I started stripping down the old turbo set up after collecting the rebuilt tongs and a set of hoses from cj performance. Plugs leads and a Pcv Valve from Shaun.

20120726_172625.jpg

20120804_201102.jpg

20120804_202030.jpg

Good old rattle can.

20120808_112825.jpg

To this

20120811_213542.jpg

I bought the turbo knowing it was smoking and discovered the comp wheel was chipped to hell so had that changed for an even more upgraded slightly larger wheel with different blade alignment for better power I had the exhaust side ported out and a larger wheel to in there aswell to make a completely different Tong's CT9.

Unfortunately the trouble didn't end there I fitted the turbo and it was pissing smoke so came back off took it to the guys who done the rebuild and had some racing seals put in instead. Again though fitted and it was pissing oil so back it went for a new bearing housing the guy had lying around but sure enough still smoking.

I thought it just wasn't going to happen so when I took it back off we decided we would put the cat off the road and the housing from my known good standard CT9 so after doing this I fitted it and finally we had a working smoke free turbo. So all was back on track.

Next was that flywheel so on a cold October Sunday me and DaveEP decided to get stuck in and finally after hours of struggling and cursing it was finally done and has massively improved the feeling in the pedal.

Then a few weeks back I got this

EMU.jpg

And that brings us upto date this has taken an age but I can hopefully now get more relevant pics and update it regularly.

Please leave your comments guys.

Edited by StuDoc 72
  • 1 month later...

Time for a little end of year update bought a few little parts through december and a more special one after christmas.

Workwise I have a pile of parts still, probably like most people who arent lucky enough to have a garage to fit them the weather has been abysmal the rain is unreal.

Anyway a couple photos of what i've collected.

The one part I did get fitted thanks to a bit of gentle persuasion ( i was genuinely convinced it didnt fit )
20121202_160410_zpsce1e4d94.jpg

Nice little HKS TT I picked up
20121204_190238_zpsad722623.jpg

And finally the creme de le creme courtesy of shuan and his 4 paw antics lol
20121227_183300_zps58f26ada.jpg

To anyone that may be interested keep an eye out for my current suspension which will be up for sale once these are fitted as far as shock and spring goes they don't get much better and theres a few people on here who can tell you how well it sits and rides on them.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Planning on fitting them tomorrow mate. Only thing is I dno what im gny do about adjusting them because theyve been on the car so they are tight and I dont have c spanners. Did they come with any? I dont want to take them apart if the have been setup so im pondering over ma next move lol.

Dyin to get them on tho gna order a couple of ball joints and arm bushes too so everythins spot on.

• 8 months later...

I know mate but thats how they come from zisco no idea why maybe because its ct9 so its out the way incase people are short of space due to standard set ups?

I havent worked out where it sits but i dont think its very rad friendly but we shall find out.

Nah man car is used by the mrs as a daily i just never bother my ass fitting parts and always forget to take pics so cant ever update this. Really need to get the finger out tbh.

• 1 year later...