Ok so many of you may know i recently sold my starlet cd which i almost finished repping and i regretted that greatly! the only reason i sold it was to upgrade to efte power however when going to purchase the nicest 98 spec fully optional kitted glanza my insurance company decided to make a mistake! they insured the glanza no problem they then phoned be back just before purchase explaining they had made a mistake and will not insure imports! leaving me with 2 options, forget a glanza for now and go back to 4efe or close my policy losing my almost complete years no claims and find a company that will insure the glanza! so i decided to go back to 4efe for a while.

Old thread: http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/53929-matts-starlet-cd-build/

I and my dad managed to come across one of the nicest starlet SR's i have ever seen, 1 lady owner, 58,000 miles, full service history and recent cambelt changed and full service so i quickly purchased the SR and fetched it this morning, driving it back a few hundred mile in the snow! following my dad in his corolla! was quite fun!

Bare in mind this needs a clean after coming down the motor way in the snow and slush following the lorrys and so forth!

Pictures: (will add more later)

Thoughts guys, what shall i do next? got a few things in mind on payday, clear indicators, wind deflectors, so forth! optional extra hunting!

Photo13-01-2013175743_zps7a342bdd.jpg

Photo14-01-20131238161_zpsfe6e5764.jpg

That is snow on the front bumper by the way guys!

Photo14-01-2013123826_zps843d84a5.jpg

Edited by Matts
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That must suck hearing that, after selling your baby and finding one you wanted :(

Sr looking good though, you should buy the cat back that is for sale on here for 200 :)

James

Yeah it was a real killer :( was upset haha alteast i have this beauty now :) I wouldn't mind a tte back box or alteast a cat back that is nice! Link?

Nice mate, did she come with the exhaust.?

Thanks buddy unfortunately no she came with the standard pea shooter :( on the lookout for a tte box although they are as rare as rocking horse s#*t

Looks really well does that. You should do the clears and deflectors as you say, but then leave it as is :)

Yeah im going to do that i think :) definitely needs the indicators and deflectors :) anyone know where i can get fresh SR decals? one side has faded :(

Edited by Matts

Looks really well does that. You should do the clears and deflectors as you say, but then leave it as is :)

Matt

What Hou said, keep it looking oem, love em in silver and leave the sr decals on!!

Other than that coil overs/springs just to drop it a touch;)

John

Matt

What Hou said, keep it looking oem, love em in silver and leave the sr decals on!!

Other than that coil overs/springs just to drop it a touch;)

John

Thanks John i also love this in silver! I could never go any other car than an ep i love these cars and cannot wait for boost! I have some nice plans for this however not going down the replica path i doubt i want this to be unique and OEM!

Lovely looking car oem FTW I'd love one as a second car :D

Thanks buddy means alot :) as above got some nice plans! Love this car!

I'll write up what I'd do to this car exterior wise, maybe you like one idea or another:

- Remove Bumpstrips

- Make Decals as OEM ones but going through the lines where the bumpstripes where (might be hard to put on but doable I think)

- Glanza Spoiler, Rear Bumper and maybe Sideskirts

- Complete clear Indicators

- Nice lip on the Front or longer bumper like rob bower did on his silver one

- Change drivers side rear light for the LHD Passenger one (white field on both sides)

- Lowering it

- Nice subtle exhaust tip, no massive tip but a bit nicer than the stock peashooter. Not too big but a bit bigger than stock

- Other rims

I myself did some of them and am in the progress of doing the others in some sort. Seems to be not that often, especialy not the LHD rear light (whereas the RHD rear light from your passenger side is a common mod in Germany)

leave the rubstrips on. the rule with an sr is that you should only do mods to it that you can revert back to normal!

and i wouldn't do much but preserve it. i spent 6 months and 120 quid looking for decals only to mess them up slightly and write the car off a few months later! gutted

what this needs is coilovers, slammed on its hole, splitter, square plates, corolla inlet and uprated stainless exhaust manifold and straight thru exhaust then improve the interior with sounds and seats!

job done! and thats how an SR should be

Matt keep this as standard as possible, perhaps sensible mods, stainless cat back exhaust, panel filter, some interior improvements,not manyleft like this now, will hold its money better when you sell it for a glanza.

looks a really good car, you were very lucky to find this, appears that the long trip was worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll write up what I'd do to this car exterior wise, maybe you like one idea or another:

- Remove Bumpstrips

- Make Decals as OEM ones but going through the lines where the bumpstripes where (might be hard to put on but doable I think)

- Glanza Spoiler, Rear Bumper and maybe Sideskirts

- Complete clear Indicators

- Nice lip on the Front or longer bumper like rob bower did on his silver one

- Change drivers side rear light for the LHD Passenger one (white field on both sides)

- Lowering it

- Nice subtle exhaust tip, no massive tip but a bit nicer than the stock peashooter. Not too big but a bit bigger than stock

- Other rims

I myself did some of them and am in the progress of doing the others in some sort. Seems to be not that often, especialy not the LHD rear light (whereas the RHD rear light from your passenger side is a common mod in Germany)

Thanks for all of the ideas ill take a few of those and put them to practice! thanks, yeah the lights would be good also!

leave the rubstrips on. the rule with an sr is that you should only do mods to it that you can revert back to normal!

and i wouldn't do much but preserve it. i spent 6 months and 120 quid looking for decals only to mess them up slightly and write the car off a few months later! gutted

dont worry i have this rule in my head! all mods will be changeable back to the original state :) bump strips will be staying i should think!

what this needs is coilovers, slammed on its hole, splitter, square plates, corolla inlet and uprated stainless exhaust manifold and straight thru exhaust then improve the interior with sounds and seats!

job done! and thats how an SR should be

Yeah would love coilovers wish i could afford some right now! and definately a splitter and import plates! and as for the inlet manifold i cannot find one anywhere! :(

Matt keep this as standard as possible, perhaps sensible mods, stainless cat back exhaust, panel filter, some interior improvements,not manyleft like this now, will hold its money better when you sell it for a glanza.

looks a really good car, you were very lucky to find this, appears that the long trip was worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thansk richdog! :D dont worry this will be standard :) and any mods done will be changeable back to standard sr :) really looking for a catback and panelfilter would love that but cant find an inlet mani anywhere!

Can't believe that insurance mix up mate I'm sure

You where fuming , the Sr looks great !! There hard to beat

Getting rarer these days looking forward to seeing the progress

yeah it really sucks was propper gutted! :( and thanks buddy means alot :) loving driving this! :D ill keep you updated as from payday :)

Nice car matt, great find. If it was mine i go for -Coilovers -stainless exhaust -clear indicators then leave the rest standered for when you come to sell it.

Definately coilovers and catback yeah :) and the indicators are being done trust me :D miss the old car though the one i brought from you! was a good car! especially once i had finished everything!

going to fetch some parts this weekend matt, I know that there are a set of lowered uprated tanabe suspension(not coilovers) would this be something your interested in.there is a stainless exhaust too, decent back box on it,bit to large for us but worth considering.

matt forgot corolla manifold check local scrap yards (viaduct and deatons) got the one on our matts sr from there £15 they charged which was very reasonable.

Thanks mate check your inbox i sent you a message ;)!

Just a little update nothing much happening yet as of the weather being terrible recently and due to money! However i gave her a fresh set of front apec vented discs and blueprint pads which although not been 'ebc' and top brands the car stops like crazy! feels so different as when i brought the car the discs were pitted and the pads where seized! don't even know how she wa stopping! i post a picture later of the old discs! terrible!

I have purchased a set of GT seats which hopefully i will fit asap although im still unsure on them!

Edited by Matts

Ok so i know some people disagree and dont like changing the SR models exterior and beliefe they should be kept standard however i am affraid i decided to go ahead and change it a little, still not sure how far i will take this but at the moment i am not looking to replica this as i want to go down the sport rally path and make it sort of a rally inspired build however here are some pictures from last night, didnt give her a clean so not sparkling but just how she stands at the moment, i will be purchasing a glanza rear bumper hopefully asap as a friend has offered me one and also some rear lights and wire them up jdm style.

Let me know what you think.

There are a few slight imperfections in the tailgate that i can hopefully sort before the shows e.g. small laquer peel hardly visible and a slight dint which can be easily removed just didnt have time, thinking of purchasing a ducktail which would also cover these imperfections up greatly! the surround will also be having a respray in the summer.

IMG_0585_BLANKED_zps2daa43e4.jpg

IMG_0591_BLANKED_zpseb91ffab.jpg

IMG_0590_BLANKED_zps9df544e1.jpg

IMG_0588_BLANKED_zps0359ccd1.jpg

Edited by Matts