WEPR TD04 Kit Vs Racetech TD04 Kit... Opinions Please

Well guys I am in the middle of a forged ep85 build. I have both of the above turbo kits here. I plan on going with the WEPR TD04 Hybrid turbo regardless and match it with either of these kits? I will be selling the one I don't use.

What kit would you guys choose and why? I have never ran either of them but both look very good quality. I would be interested in material strength, spool times etc etc and how you find the kits in general.

Here is the WEPR TD04 Kit:

http://www.wepracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=128&Itemid=143

Here is the Racetech TD04 Kit:

http://www.race-tech.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_5&products_id=1

Thanks,

Conor.

i dont like the distance the waste gate is away from the manifold on the wepr kit you posted a link to. i was led to believe that the further away the higher chances of boost spike.

as for build quality i dont think you'll have a problem with either. both top bits of kit.

spoke to a few owners of racetech manifolds at shows and meets, and a few have said they have cracked - in the end ricky has rewelded/fixed them.

WEPR - a few of the early ones (talking 3-4 years ago) cracked, but i know sacha sorted the customers out - even sending a friend a replacment manifold free of charge, but not heard about any issues with the newere recent kits they produce.

either which way, i think if you were to have any issues, both companies would resolve the issues for you.

Edited by Danb

Are you sure on that?

we have not had a td04 manifold (or larger turbo manifold) or de-cat crack on us in the last 5-6 years!! not one...

Our kits use the industry standard pipe up until around 12 months ago. (not just in starlets, its what they use for Evo's, Honda's etc) This would crack if EGT's are too high.

We have never had a manifold crack when we have done the mapping.

That said we still changed to a material slightly heavier but stronger. We also have other options for more exotic materials but the cost is much higher, we've never made a starlet manifold like this as the cost is simply too high.

Our new kits also have an option for a Billet wheel TD04, giving unrivaled spool and power.

WEPR stuff is highly rated for a reason. The wuality os second to none, I have had 3 different setups from then for a year at a time each and every one has been spot on with daily abuse. The material is thick and very strong and the welds are brilliant plus the fitment is very exact. I have no doubt at all that my kit will last a very long time and WEPR also offer a lifetime warranty. Spool is also good with them and the inside of the products are nice and smooth.

"My Mate had this and it fucked up" "My mate had this for 10mins and it practically fell off"

sigh...

Ive seen with my own eyes all 3 of the above mentioned manifolds crack...

Now... Im sure there will be a reason for this and in some cases its not always the manufacturers fault...

Hell, ive seen a BTCC touring car turbo manifold crack during a race event...?

Have to remember your tuning a car that was never designed to produce over double the standard power output from the factory lol

I can only imagine its not easy developing a turbo kit, and its certainly not a simple process to weld them together...

However, all 3 of you have offered to fix for free, or have fixed the issues for free with a very quick turnaround... What more could you ask for from a manufacturer...?

Your always going to get biast opinions on forums.... but personally, I'm happy with my Race-Tech kit.

Your always going to get folks that have had good and bad expriences with everyone.

End of the day, talk to each supplier and see what they say and can offer you :)

So please, lets not have this thread turn into a slanging match folks! There all good turbo kits and there suppliers will all look after you...

:)

"My Mate had this and it fucked up" "My mate had this for 10mins and it practically fell off"

sigh...

Ive seen with my own eyes all 3 of the above mentioned manifolds crack...

Now... Im sure there will be a reason for this and in some cases its not always the manufacturers fault...

Hell, ive seen a BTCC touring car turbo manifold crack during a race event...?

Have to remember your tuning a car that was never designed to produce over double the standard power output from the factory lol

I can only imagine its not easy developing a turbo kit, and its certainly not a simple process to weld them together...

However, all 3 of you have offered to fix for free, or have fixed the issues for free with a very quick turnaround... What more could you ask for from a manufacturer...?

Your always going to get biast opinions on forums.... but personally, I'm happy with my Race-Tech kit.

Your always going to get folks that have had good and bad expriences with everyone.

End of the day, talk to each supplier and see what they say and can offer you :)

So please, lets not have this thread turn into a slanging match folks! There all good turbo kits and there suppliers will all look after you...

:)

Why would you talk to the suppliers for options? Surely they will just say there's is the way product, this thread is for opinions.

Also he didn't ask how hard it is make turbo kit, he asked which one out if the two someone would go for, when I had my GT I did alot of research and what I found was that Sacha had ALOT less negative points being said about him then other companies.

That's my opinion

Why would you talk to the suppliers for options? Surely they will just say there's is the way product, this thread is for opinions.

Also he didn't ask how hard it is make turbo kit, he asked which one out if the two someone would go for, when I had my GT I did alot of research and what I found was that Sacha had ALOT less negative points being said about him then other companies.

That's my opinion

Because the suppliers are the professionals.... why else?

I dont know fuck all about metal, welding or making a turbo kit...

So I wouldnt know what is best, but in my exprience, Im happy with my turbo kit....

But if it did crack one day, id like to know why... Rather then just flame on a forum :)

Gathering Statstics from word of mouth and forums?

It may be 100 people who own a WEPR kit havent mentioned it on a forum or dont even use the internet...?

Obv not the case.... Hardly Watertight :)

"Also he didnt ask how hard it was to make a turbo kit"

Really? I can read fella... Not doing any harm to try and open peoples eyes who just slag something off because it didnt work out for them without realising the hard work that goes into putting somthing like that togther.... As i said before may have been a genuine reason for such a failure?

As i said to summarise, there all great turbo kits and do the job very well, there also all covered by a lifetime warranty I think?

:thumbsup:

My racetech turbo kit was 2nd hand and the previous owner (a good friend) used it daily and drive it hard. And it's as good as new. The main thing that would make me go racetech over wepr is there proximity making sorting issues much easier.

spoke to a few owners of racetech manifolds at shows and meets, and a few have said they have cracked - in the end ricky has rewelded/fixed them.

WEPR - a few of the early ones (talking 3-4 years ago) cracked, but i know sacha sorted the customers out - even sending a friend a replacment manifold free of charge, but not heard about any issues with the newere recent kits they produce.

either which way, i think if you were to have any issues, both companies would resolve the issues for you.

we changed up our fabrication techniques, welding consumables used, materials used etc. this was 5-6 years ago and this is when our products dramatically improved in durability. all our manifolds are purged also which is a must. we did have incidents of cracking prior to these changes this and each and every customer was either refunded or provided with a non faulty unit. we were the first to offer lifetime warranty..i believe other manufacturers are doing the same now which is great :thumbsup:

we have many customers who use their ep's for cirucit/time attack and rally and so far our products have held up to the abuse.

i dont like the distance the waste gate is away from the manifold on the wepr kit you posted a link to. i was led to believe that the further away the higher chances of boost spike.

as for build quality i dont think you'll have a problem with either. both top bits of kit.

we do not use remote w.gate location anymore mate..we changed that up a while back. now w.gate outlet is located up top near the upper radiator hose 8)

i've said this before..you cant really go wrong with any of the manufacturers on this forum..