Melted pistons

Stripped down the boxy this weekend, its fucked, something has gone horribly wrong with the fueling and its run lean, its melted number two and three pistons. Gutted, don't know how its happened, but must be do with those injectors :(

IMAG0215_zps2f9a5aac.jpg

IMAG0216_zpscd694f07.jpg

IMAG0218_zpsb0fa4c98.jpg

IMAG0217_zps249d3da1.jpg

IMG-20130316-WA0000_zpsbc60c9e6.jpg

Doesn't look like its damaged the bores luckily but I don't know what to do now, think I am gonna break the car, I am at the end of the rope!

Edited by Taggy
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ah shit that mate...

do you have a aftermarket FPR? as that would of taken the stress of the injectors.

hmmmm surley the map should of been safe enough and would of seen this when mapping it?

ive just bought some 370cc denso jecotrs but are fully recon and been pressure tested etc etc

did you buy these new mate?

Edited by iamlegend

I have just paid to have emanage blue and mapped with tuning developments, I have done less than 100 miles since the map :( I am not sure how its run lean, I am so pissed of.

If i can get two 74.5mm wiesco pistons i could rebuild it, but I still have the problem of identifying how it run lean to start with.

I AM FREAKING, i wasnt running an AFR so couldnt tell :( and no i bought them reconditioned, but two pistons have melted and i think its very unlikely two injectors failed at the same time so i am not 100% sure on whats caused it at the moment

Edited by Taggy

I know it sounds daft is it worth checking your , fuel pump , fuel pressure reg etc to see if anything has gone faulty and to try get to the bottom of it ? Last thing u want is to re-build and it happen again mate

Gutted mate! dont brake it! it would be a crying same to brake it! But that 3 now in 2 months one on TGTT and 2 on here all mapped by TD some thing is going on!

:blink: getting forged there soon..............................

Bad news dude. Someone on tgtt had his car done and managed to get home ok. Next day his block got holed. Hope u fix it.

Rods can fail, its unfortunate that it happened, but it did. These cars are designed around 133bhp and getting on for 20 years old, some folk seem to forget that quite easily.

Gutted mate! dont brake it! it would be a crying same to brake it! But that 3 now in 2 months one on TGTT and 2 on here all mapped by TD some thing is going on!

Not quite sure what that is refering to either, but it is easy to simply point the finger. Without proper inspection of components it is hard to say what has gone wrong.

This car had no knock levels and was safe on the fueling, both on the dyno and on the road. Hence why we stopped before 1.4bar as the injectors weren't up for it in our opinion. We wouldn't want to push it that close to the limit as it is pointless.

Thanks

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

I'm not pointing no fingers there just seems to be a bit of a pattern! Fueling and knock levels can be spot on but bottom end failure and melted pistons would seam to point more to timing issues to me, I have been there my self a few times and seen the various results poor timing can cause. I got through 3 bottom ends back in 2003-2005 due to poor map timing.

Edited by Rob H

Timing maps were not agressive in either circumstance, This would show up when mapping the car through the cans also. It is pointless for us to tune a customers car to tolerances so close to the edge. There are many variables that you have to account for when mapping the car. A safety margin is always left in the map to allow for these.

Thanks

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

Taggy, were the injectors a direct fit? As in were they plug and play? Also do you have any idea how old the injectors are? Good advice with the afr gague though. It seems odd that 2 and 3 pistons have melted. I'm sure you can rebuild it though taggy.

Also the whole thing about TD. Mike speaks a lot of sense when he says these engines are getting on for 20yrs old. They are a pretty simple design, no piston cooling jets, no sequential injection and a basic ignition system. They don't even have a cradle for the crank. This is modifying an engine for you. As with anything you sacrifice reliability for power. Just hope taggy can get this sorted sooner rather than later.

It's excessive EGT's which have caused the failure of a component in this case, the AFR and knock levels are fairly irrelevent.

Upon removal of the head did you check the timing belt? If this has retarded slightly it would have caused the exhaust valve to open later, keeping excessive pressure and heat energy in the cylinder during a time when it shouldn't have been.

So much more to tuning a car than just AFR and knock levels, I think many people forget this. The safe running of an engine relies on many more parameters.

Edited by AdamB

Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of happy customers that TD have, myself included. People tend to overlook this fact, these guys know what they are doing. Without finding the cause of the problem of ALL these engine failures then nobody should be as quick to point the finger.