Time Attack/Circuit Car Build - **Forged engine installed!**

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@maddox haven't don a comparison as I've lost my stock dash. This was more to protect the electronics from heat and eliminate glare from the silver painted interior shell. But the panels themselves don't weigh more than a few grams each being made from aluminum – and there are like just 6 panels including the gauge cowl making up the whole dash.

@shorty the aero plan has been tabled at the moment. my tuner and i are discussing cost vs weight penalty vs actual benefit of having a proper aero setup. But for sure we'll know before december which is the start of the endurace race the starlet will be joining.

@Socks thanks man! I'll post race vids after the weekend. Hopefully we get another win :)

Edited by mindless

^^ Dont really see your point there?

Crush bend roll cage which would squash if ever needed, un fire walled fuel system inside the cabin, harnesses looped over an alloy strut brace, a dashboard that would chop your legs off in a big impact, the list goes on. This car would never pass scrutineering at a motor sport event here, and for very good reason.

Crush bend roll cage which would squash if ever needed, un fire walled fuel system inside the cabin, harnesses looped over an alloy strut brace, a dashboard that would chop your legs off in a big impact, the list goes on. This car would never pass scrutineering at a motor sport event here, and for very good reason.

It kind of sucks I have to defend my build but:

1. A lot of cars locally have been running crush bent black steel roll cages and i have yet to see one squash in a crash (and I have seen a few big ones). That said yes I plan to replace the bends anyway when we redesign the roll cage to improve rigidity including welding gussets.

2. Check again the fuel system / surge tank, external pumps and filters are inside a containment box separating it from the cockpit and driver.

3. what harnesses looped over the the strut brace??

Time_Attack_Circuit_Car_Build_-_Page_3_-

5. I am not the first or the last to use aluminum as a material to build a race car dashboard. In fact I based my design off of Momentary Laps' LS1 miata dashboard . I'd love to build one out of carbon fiber but obviously since we are at the grassroots level and I am using my own personal funds to fund my small race team we have to make do with what we have and what is available to us.

At least we get to race regularly and have fun. That's what matters.

Anyway just to give you a teaser for next videos we handed the keys of our scary car to a local former Asian F3 driver (currently racing in Euroracecar Nascar and Macau GP). Clocked in his fastest lap at 1m 56.23s with a few errors (given that it was an impromptu drive). That puts the car's potential in Bracket A – where the top dogs are :). Now if only we can drive like he does...

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP2GkWEN0pI

Edited by mindless

Just shut up man, jealous guy ool

^^

Here here man. Slamming some ones build and efforts is sad. And ukso has no time and space for such people. This is an epic build and clearly a car that earns its place in the races it competes in. Wheres your build mate? Lets see the race car you built with your own two hands??? Cock!

Lol im a 29 year old man not a little boy and ill happily call you a cock to your face. this is a build in a country where parts are far harder to obtain. The car has shown clear results in a race series. And you come along and slam his build and effort?? To what benifit? Hes not racing under our guidelines and race rules is he? If he where he would a: have access to the parts we do and b: have to conform to different regs. His car meets the requirements set for the races he partakes in. You could of merly sugested or asked rather than slamming his efforts.

Yeah it wasn't a planned run so he didnt have his equipment with him. The helmets we had on hand nearby wouldn't fit and he only had a few minutes to get a lap in.

love this build, but why is the guy driving without a helmet??? bit daft is it not?

Here's my afternoon session from last Saturday's race!

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNAOHyi99W0

Clocked in a best time of 2m 08.333s just .167 faster/off of 1st place in Bracket E. Ended up at the bottom of Bracket D. Because the .199 breakout rule I opted to cancel my Bracket D lap for my next fastest lap time: 2m 09.324s -- good for fourth in Bracket E earning me some points at least (vs being dead last in a higher bracket)

On the upside I am 4 seconds faster than my last run in this track configuration and 10 seconds faster than when I started racing this year! It feels good having a car that you can constantly improve in – keeps you motivated to push more and more!

Edited by mindless

Wheel to wheel grid race video is up! My brother started 8th, crossed the line 2nd, but ended up 15th due to a 1min breakout penalty (he went faster than the allowed time per lap for the bracket)

Enjoy!

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWQflC_G5ds

During that last race we wanted to test if our race car can dice it with the next higher wheel to wheel class so we decided to join race the car in Grid B (our usual class is Grid C). We started from 13th (2nd to the last) because we did not qualify for this race. Car ended up 7th. Not bad considering we only had about less than 3 liters of fuel left and our brakes have been glazed by the previous races during that day.

Here is the vid:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lowZtrkqc6Q

Also update on the car:

We've installed a redundant external fuel pump system in preparation for the endurance race in December. Should give us some margin against prematurely failing pumps during the 6 hour race.

skitched-20130916-211654.jpg

skitched-20130916-211725.jpg

Thats awesome, have you seen any difference with the fuel cooler now?

Oh yes very much so. Basically night and day. Temps rarely go over 90c. On average stays around 83-88c (take note I'm in a tropical country where avg ambient temp is anywhere around 30-32c and very humid) . We can actually now run full 9-10 lap (3.8km/lap) races without the need for the radiator/intercooler sprays. We've also managed to up the boost scramble to 1.38 bar (from 1.33). Even under max boost no knock and temp stays pretty consistent which is surprising if you consider we are running a non standard rod/piston combination that should not work (Vitara G16B piston + OEM 4EFTE Gen 1 rods).

There are a few things left though we still need to put in intake/exhaust fans to draw in cool air into the fuel box and expel fumes + hot air and maybe a dry ice compartment + drain for the fuel cooler.

Edited by mindless