Time Attack/Circuit Car Build - **Forged engine installed!**

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just wanted to post some pics of the old rebuild done roughly 2 years ago when we decided to go with the vitara pistons to replace the broken 4efte ones just for everyone's reference

This is what happened to the stock 4EFTE piston:

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

The vitara/esteem (G16B) piston

IMG_0545.JPG

I actually bought them off a friend who used them on his 5EFTE build but suddenly had the budget to go forged so he didn't have any use for them anymore. But they also worked great for him. He bought brand new and didn't even put 1000km on them.

Again your mileage may vary and it will depend a lot on the skill of your machinist/machine shop. You can see them here re-pinned to 5E conrods. To the left are the old 4EFTE piston+rod. Since I was still going to be using my 4E block we had to have them re-pinned to my 4EFTE rods.

IMG_0549.JPG

We opted to use a metal head gasket because the compression is much lower now due to the dished design of the vitara pistons (standard 4EFTE pistons have flat tops)

gasket.jpg

56f6f89dbcea41178712e8b119e675bd_7.jpg

Vitara pistons are in the rebored/honed block

IMG_0561.JPG

Putting it all together (this one still had the stock manifold and old ct9/ct12 hybrid turbo i had)

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

2e5af0a48e1a88ff1234a42ffcf9b079.jpg

This is how low the compression ratio becomes after using vitara pistons

Anyway that's about it for the vitara piston rebuild 1 dyno session and 2 circuit seasons later she's still going strong and now at 1 bar boost.

Edited by mindless

@Starbo Moorley at the last dyno run with the old tired TD04L @ .8 bar we were making 155 hp / 127 ft lbs at the wheels . We haven't had the chance to get her dynoed recently because we're in the middle of a season. We upped the boost to about 1 bar and changed tuners we're feeling a definite increase but its all butt feel as of now. Maybe after the season we'll get to dyno it again for the next one I'll post the numbers here.

Yep! It worked well for a stop gap solution. The end goal is to go forged if we can get enough sponsors so for now we keep the try to keep a more conservative tune. We're not running drag anyway and the car is super light so right now the power we're generating is more than enough for our needs :)

I've just got a hold of photos from last week's circuit leg. Sorry for the quality they didn't really get good pics of the car in action, but well this is better than nothing :)

cs3-2.jpg

GT Radial team cars arriving on the track (which included our little turbo hatch)

cs3-3.jpg

Running with the rest of the pack

cs3-4.jpg

cs3-5.jpg

cs3-7.jpg

Going wide!

cs3-6.jpg

20130510-IMG_2347.jpg

Go home starlet! You drunk!

Thanks Amjad!

I think I posted this already above but this is a video of my latest run:

This one is my brother's 35-car grid race action starting from pole (they do 1 warm up lap and a rolling start because of the sheer number of cars)

Edited by mindless
  • 2 weeks later...

We're nearing fabrication of the diffuser/underbody and aluminum sideskirts. Thought I'd give a shot at a quick and dirty photoshop render so I can show them how I want it to come out.

race_car_aero-20130522-140512.jpg

Hopefully we can get it to look proper

Edited by mindless