Time Attack/Circuit Car Build - **Forged engine installed!**

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the first time we're driving the car again after not being able to race with it in the previous leg and a rather problematic 1st leg with the car.

We're now on a new (and quite experimental) ECU setup using a re-chipped Honda ECU tuned using CROME after it became apparent torwards the last legs of the last year's season, and the previous endurance race that our piggy back E-Manage Ultimate just wouldn't cut it anymore.

Because of this new setup and a shortage in 3 map sensors we're running lower boost levels than what we would normally run. (3 out of 3 GM 3-bar map sensors we bought failed on us - heh what are the fucking odds??)

But even at lower boost, no scramble and getting re-acquainted with the car we're able to reach our previous times easily.

Here in the shakedown/time attack video below, I reach the 2m08s mark, driving it at around 70% still trying to get a feel for the car.

>http://youtu.be/4Xvkfr9utro

Car feels more responsive throughout the rev range and there is visible increase in low end torque. Power delivery is now very linear – the huge late boost surge that we used to have to manage is gone.

Still, there are a few more small bugs we need to address and sort out, but mainly this has been quite an improvement over our old piggyback fuel management setup. No trophies this race but we have a improved a lot setup-wise and can't wait to get up to running on full boost and push hard next race.

10255857_10152381472464534_6744969607628

I'll post more photos of the car in action when they start coming out on Facebook.

For now here are some photos showing you what the setup is like and give a bit more detail into how we did it:

The Civic distributor assembly used in the conversion:

10313833_10152381472579534_8797945251481

Here it is machined and fitted to the head

10339634_10152381477874534_3170950212758

1002897_10152381472789534_30175150380736

They had to disassemble most of the race dashboard just for the weekend so they can access things if something goes wrong. Part of the conversion was also simplifying the whole wiring mess. If you notice we got rid of the steering stalk and assinged those to a whole new set of switches on the center console.

10173737_10152381472874534_8825507585722

Unfortunately no scramble for us until we can sort out a proper working 3 bar map sensor (we're using honda's stock map sensor for now)

10308185_10152381472734534_8589385706951

Here is the new brain of the car. We were using the emulator last race weekend because adjustments are still being made. Once final we'll burn the tune into a chip and install it in our P28 ECU.

10341532_10152381472524534_3205636923056

Edited by mindless

@maddox710 oh yeah we used to wheel spin and torque steer coming out of every 2nd gear corner. Quite scary especially in this old school track because there is very little runoff.

• 1 month later...

Really happy with the car right now. Last weekend has been our fastest on this track (Batnagas Racing Circuit) ever. We have been struggling with this track ever since we started racing.

We've gotten a proper 3 bar map sensor finally working with the honda ECU and now running back on full boost (1 bar standard, 1.3 bar scramble). As a result I've smashed my personal best time by a whopping 3.5 seconds – from 2m8.333s to 2m4.836s.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wihSmIsxeRI&list=UUfV0LTGP1px3rhttsjwCPFA

Our particular modification route we chose hasn't been the easiest, but it was all worth it. We're still searching for a win this season, but the fact that we are getting faster is something to be happy about. We'll get there.

Edited by mindless

Thanks @maddox710! It's actually in pieces at the moment for easy access to the newly wired ECU.

We want to make sure everything is going smoothly with the honda ECU for a few more races and then we'll install the remaining panels up :)

Edited by mindless
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that we've more or less made the car run reliably after the whole honda ECU transplant, I've had some time to think about improving the aero on the race car. After some research, I've come up with this idea to design a crude "blown" diffuser aero.

Basically its your standard solid wooden underbody that bolts into an aluminum rear diffuser but instead of having the exhaust exit where you'd normally have it, I was thinking maybe you can have it exit underneath and through the wooden diffuser blowing directly into the center channel and acting as a blown diffuser.

I know its probably a crapshot at best but its better than nothing. At the very least the solid underbody should give us extra downforce even if the blown diffuser turns out to be ineffective

blown_diffuser-20140629-083422.png

Edited by mindless