glanza or r32 skyline

Hey folks,

A mate of mine is selling his '91 r32 gts-t Nissan Skyline.

I've always had feelings for that particular car because I love the way it looks and sounds, 6 cilinder awesomeness.

It's a gts-t in mint condition with a few upgrades such as a catback system and an aftermarket intake. There really are few of these in good condition in the Netherlands.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have owned a r32 sky and how its like compared to a glanza.

Oh and before anyone would say to get a gtr or r33/34 gts-t, that's no option as I don't like the looks of those and a gtr is too expensive.

way I look at it now...

bigger car.. more fuel.... more tax... parts been pricey(saying that starlet parts are close to i.e supra price parts.... to me bigger the car the boring..

glanza just ticks all the boxes... less fuel.. less tax etc etc etc

Edited by iamlegend

When I 1st seen then thread I would have said dont waste your time on an R32 Gtst. R32's are only worth buying if you have a GTR.

Most Skyline enthusiasts will tell you that the R33 is the one to have as its bigger than the R32 which is a bit of a baby if you ask me and is more sorted. It is also lighter than the more bulky r34 which is still priced very highly.

My friend has an R33 RB25DET and it drinks fuel for fun. I really would spend the money on a Glanza. The Skyline will drink fuel insurance will be a compared so will road tax.

For me personally its a 1 horse race.

My Grandfather had one many years ago, (yes, you read that right lol) he had an r32, but didn't use it as a daily driver, it would entirely depend what you are going to use it for and what you want from it.

way I look at it now...

bigger car.. more fuel.... more tax... parts been pricey(saying that starlet parts are close to i.e supra price parts.... to me bigger the car the boring..

glanza just ticks all the boxes... less fuel.. less tax etc etc etc

Couldn't agree more!!

My dads got a R33 GTR at 600bhp, that drinks fuel and putting in £20 worth will be lucky to get 30 miles out of that! A GTST won't be as bad but still not brilliant. I'd say test drive it and see what you think is the best way.

They are super expensive on parts, tax isn't bad (over here anyway) as its an import it goes under the same catagory as like 1.6-19 L engines.

Just get a civic...

Nah seriously, id love an R32 even if it wasnt a GTR, but i couldn't justify it as a daily. Buy it to track/drift (might be a waste of a good car) or use it for weekends etc.

Just get a civic...

u must be talkin about the 4wd rb26 wrx sti version with nos standard?

a had 1 years ago but couldnt b botherd with how slow it was!

seriously but, glanza for me even tho the skylines noise is gorjus.

ask socks what hed pick lol

Aye Paul mate thats the one i had too !!

The one the OP has mentioned though, the GTS-t. I had one in Gran Turismo and it was well good.

But yeah for real, i think it would be a decent enough car. Im unsure the tuning potential of the RB20DET though. Suspect its pretty decent tbh.

Aye Paul mate thats the one i had too !!

The one the OP has mentioned though, the GTS-t. I had one in Gran Turismo and it was well good.

But yeah for real, i think it would be a decent enough car. Im unsure the tuning potential of the RB20DET though. Suspect its pretty decent tbh.

av heard a few things about the 32's....clutches wer a weak point unless uprated, engines wernt as good as the newer models apparently.

fucki it tho, do a post office and get an R34 and stop fuckin about :D

Wow geez alot of opinions which are miles away from eachother haha.

Thanks for the awesome replies guys.

I like my glanza but the r32 is one of my favs, I have driven one before but that one was quite modded, slammed so that wasnt a good example as a daily drive, but it did feel quite awesome.

But as I said, that particular one had about 350bhp which is about 120 horses more than this fairly stock one.

I don't like the r33's looks and a 34 is very rare in the Netherlands, let alone find one for sale.

Importing another car is no option as It's just going to be too expensive.

I'm no speedfreak, I just love jdm vehicles and am really charmed by the r32 so even the 'lesser' gts-t would be fit for me.

I'm just wondering if it will be a just as fun drive as the glanza is, as said above light weight hatches with a fair amount of power are awesome and I haven't had any experience with different layout powertrain vehicles before.

Anyway, ill have to check insurance and fuel consumption and make some calculations.

Sourcing parts is no problem and comparable to my glanza. There are quite a few skylines here in Holland.

Thanks again for the comments!

Feel free to continue any discussion, we're all in the offtopic section anyway XD.

TBH you really can't compare the 2 cars....

One is a RWD sports Coupe, the other is a nippy city car...

I personally would take the R32 as you can have tonnes of fun in them doing drifting.

When I 1st seen then thread I would have said dont waste your time on an R32 Gtst. R32's are only worth buying if you have a GTR.

Most Skyline enthusiasts will tell you that the R33 is the one to have as its bigger than the R32 which is a bit of a baby if you ask me and is more sorted. It is also lighter than the more bulky r34 which is still priced very highly.

My friend has an R33 RB25DET and it drinks fuel for fun. I really would spend the money on a Glanza. The Skyline will drink fuel insurance will be a compared so will road tax.

For me personally its a 1 horse race.

I dunno what Skyline enthusiats you've spoke to as most I know will slate the R33 first chance they get...its ~100kg heavier than the R32, the R32 is the lightest of the 3 most known models and the rawest drive of them aswell. The R33 is Its fugly as hell, its like the fat uncle know one actually likes. There is a good reason why R32 GTSt's sell for more money than R33 GTSt's... these days. Also, even the GTROC have pointed out that in about 10 years the R32 GTR's will be more than R33 GTR's due to desirability.

TBH you really can't compare the 2 cars....

One is a RWD sports Coupe, the other is a nippy city car...

I personally would take the R32 as you can have tonnes of fun in them doing drifting.

I dunno what Skyline enthusiats you've spoke to as most I know will slate the R33 first chance they get...its ~100kg heavier than the R32, the R32 is the lightest of the 3 most known models and the rawest drive of them aswell. The R33 is Its fugly as hell, its like the fat uncle know one actually likes. There is a good reason why R32 GTSt's sell for more money than R33 GTSt's... these days. Also, even the GTROC have pointed out that in about 10 years the R32 GTR's will be more than R33 GTR's due to desirability.

Spoken to a good few who I have met through buyin parts off the skyline forum. Ofcourse a GTR would be more desirable than a GTS-t thats like saying a GT is more desirable than a Starlet SR ofcourse it is 1 of them is top of the range the other is the middle body.

Appearance is personal opinion. Id say the R32 is fugly and wouldnt take 1 for free. They are half a skyline.

R33's are far more common and popular than R32's so someone must like their fat uncle.

Spoken to a good few who I have met through buyin parts off the skyline forum. Ofcourse a GTR would be more desirable than a GTS-t thats like saying a GT is more desirable than a Starlet SR ofcourse it is 1 of them is top of the range the other is the middle body.

Appearance is personal opinion. Id say the R32 is fugly and wouldnt take 1 for free. They are half a skyline.

R33's are far more common and popular than R32's so someone must like their fat uncle.

My comments regarding desireablility were relating to R32 and R33 GTR's. Give it 5 years and R32 GTR's will be worth more than R33 GTR's because they are more desirable.

Please enlighten me as to why R32's are half a skyline? I'm curious... If you're singling out a model (GTSt or GTR) please also let me know why.

R33's are more common simply because they are cheap, there are very few R33 GTR's about but a metric fuck load of R33 GTSt's about because they sell for sub 3k. R33 GTSt's are chav dream cars, its the cheapest way they can get a skyline.

My comments regarding desireablility were relating to R32 and R33 GTR's. Give it 5 years and R32 GTR's will be worth more than R33 GTR's because they are more desirable.

Please enlighten me as to why R32's are half a skyline? I'm curious... If you're singling out a model (GTSt or GTR) please also let me know why.

R33's are more common simply because they are cheap, there are very few R33 GTR's about but a metric fuck load of R33 GTSt's about because they sell for sub 3k. R33 GTSt's are chav dream cars, its the cheapest way they can get a skyline.

Thats for the future to decide not me or you.

I say it is half a skyline purely through its looks and mass its small in comparison to any other skyline. Personally it just doesnt look right, It looks its age and outdated. A bit like an 90's camaro in drag. Nothing more than an observation if that answers your condecending question.

Through popularity comes affordability it swings in round abouts. They are cheaper because there are more but why are there more? Because more were imported due to demand. There is an arguement in both corners.

I certainly wouldn't call them a chavs dream even though im not 100% sure what a definition of a chav is. I think they are lot more partial to an impreza or even a starlet wouldnt you?

Edited by StuDoc 72

Thats for the future to decide not me or you.

I say it is half a skyline purely through its looks and mass its small in comparison to any other skyline. Personally it just doesnt look right, It looks its age and outdated. A bit like an 90's camaro in drag. Nothing more than an observation if that answers your condecending question.

Through popularity comes affordability it swings in round abouts. They are cheaper because there are more but why are there more? Because more were imported due to demand. There is an arguement in both corners.

I certainly wouldn't call them a chavs dream even though im not 100% sure what a definition of a chav is. I think they are lot more partial to an impreza or even a starlet wouldnt you?

I know talking about the future is unknown, but the GTROC seem to know what they are talking about concerning their cars.

Fair enough, its your opinion, I thought you were going to state facts which I was going to question. I think they have a classic look, like a retro look. Similar to a Mk GT, or a AE86 for example. As for their lack of mass, that simply makes them a better drivers car which cannot be denied. Would you rather have 280hp, 4WD and 1400kg to haul, or 280hp, 4WD and 1500kg to haul...

R33 GTSt's were imported because it was the cheapest way to get a Skyline and for folk who didn't care about the performance but wanted to say "i've got a Skyline". They were not imported for their almighty performance. An R33 GTSt is not a fast car by a long shot. A 200sx with similar modifications can take one.

Maybe its the years of seeing loads of R33 GTSt's at Cruises in their heyday being banged off the limited by absolute goons thinking they were awesome gives me my opinion of their chav owners. I will say that you see alot less of them these days which is only a good thing.

I think without us going at each other for the next hour or so with no real conclustion...

I'm a purest who loves a classic, hence why I love the R32 GTR

You are someone who likes a more modern car with a beafier profile hence why you like an R33.

To be honest this post for me was always going to say that I'm not going to sit and debate it all day so I'm glad you can conclude it like that. Plus I'm not 100% comfortable debating the topic when I havent been an owner or enthusiast myself. I am going purely from personal taste experience and conversation with enthusiasts. Most of which owned R33's so therefore would be biased.

I agree though in that I would be willing to sacrifice the weight for the appearance of an R33 purely because I think thats how a skyline should look big & bulky. From being in some even lower powered 1's about 300 I found the power was still immence the revs lasted for ever and it pulled like a train. I would have believed it was more powerful if id of been told otherwise. Even with the common coil pack breakdown my starlet couldn't get close and that not top end im talking thats a 20-60 race.

That said though Im definately not an R33 loyal I just gave my opinion as Im not a fan of the looks of the R32. Given the option I would definately go for an R34 or R35 without a doubt again bigger and bulkier lol. Maybe not the choice of the connoisseur but I'm not one after all.