EP Performance Red TOM's EP85 4WD Build - The Ultimate Starlet... IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

any pics of the wheels conor such a rare size, cant be many about... where u find em?

by the way i have no use for my 6 toms centre caps any more.. or the gen harnesses or gen stickers ^_^

Another lovely find I got was a set of genuine TOM's New Action wheels for the car. They are 15" 4x100 7JJ, a very hard size to get. The wheels are spotless the only problem is there are no center caps with them. I need to source a set ASAP! I will pay good money for some if anyone can help me. Here is a pic below...

That was alot of effort for the seat rails. All you had to do was change the inside rear bracket on the recaro rails to the standard ep95 one.

It's looking good keep up the good work!

That was alot of effort for the seat rails. All you had to do was change the inside rear bracket on the recaro rails to the standard ep95 one.

It's looking good keep up the good work! That was alot of effort for the seat rails. All you had to do was change the inside rear bracket on the recaro rails to the standard ep95 one.

Will that work on standard gt seats?

Will that work on standard gt seats?

the only difference in the seat mounts between the 4 paw and normal starlet is the rear mount that bolts to the tunnel. on the 2 wheel drive its about an inch wider than the 4paw i did have a picture but cant find it. if you line up the 2 seat rails youll see exactly what i mean. i just drilled out the 2 rivets and bolted them onto my stock rails

Ok guys well as some of you may know there has been a lot happening with this recently... And about time too!

I was badly stuck when it came to getting an exhaust to fit the car. As said above, the clutch line from the slave cylinder was firstly hitting the exhaust manifold. We changed to a different style of clutch slave cylinder that brought the pipe out at a different angle avoiding the manifold... But now it was hitting the decat!

image_zps7qotz8rj.jpg

My friend Robbie from Icetronix phoned me to say he had a new pipe bending machine in that could bend 3" stainless. He was confident he could make ANY exhaust to suit ANY car, and wanted me to get him some business... So I gave him a nice headache to start with!

We loaded up the car and off we went...

image_zps74i7rtmr.jpg

Originally I wanted a wing exit exhaust. We planned to run up and over the turbo and then out the drivers side wing, but the angle of the bend coming up from the turbo was too tight and it wouldn't allow enough clearance for the bonnet to close.

Dead set on wanting to be different with a wing exit exhaust, we looked at running the exhaust down and under the turbo kit, then back up at an angle and out the drivers wing. However it was running too close to the oil filter and I was afraid we would run the oil temperature sky high with a red hot exhaust running past the filter.

In the end we opted for a 3" straight pipe side exit exhaust. It was braced to the block for extra strength.

image_zpsy0owvqfs.jpg

To allow clearance for the clutch line into the slave cylinder, we cut the downpipe at the flange and changed the angle of it to allow clearance for the clutch line.

image_zps7jmipw4s.jpg

A flange was incorporated halfway along the exhaust to allow quick and easy removal if needed.

In addition to this, we also fabricated a full length stainless steel bracket to mount to the bottom of the front panel. This bracket has my intercooler brackets and the bottom rad brackets welded to it and is very neat.

image_zpsn6j6qstf.jpg

Now for the fun bit!

I flipped the external wastegate upside down so the screamer pipe was angled upwards. We then fabricated a stainless steel bonnet exit screamer pipe!

image_zpsduamx97r.jpg

image_zps2vapofg2.jpg

image_zpsx9btjrta.jpg

The exhaust was finished and was very neat and tidy. Thanks guys!

With the position of the exhaust and the screamer pipe now finalised, the car was now ready for paint. Off she went same day to my painter and both of us got stuck into the car straight away.

I have a full genuine TOM's bodykit to be fitted, polycarbonate windows, lightweight fibreglass vented wings, lightweight fibreglass bonnet and lightweight fibreglass bootlid.

First on the to do list was fit the vented wings so we could then mont the OEM moulding kit over them. After having the wings on and off a few times and making some light adjustments we had them sitting good and the panel gaps to the bonnet and doors all good.

image_zpsbqdgwy2d.jpg

We then moved on to the OEM GT Turbo moulding kit. Because the EP85 didn't come with mouldings from factory, we had to use EP82 door and sill brackets to hold the mouldings to stop them flapping around. We carefully measured the bolt holes and drilled the brackets into the ep85 using all the original screws from the brackets.

image_zps1ovhr3kq.jpg

After a lot of careful measuring and taking the moulding on and off several times we finally got them to sit perfect and not rubbing anything with the doors opening and closing...

image_zpsfjbqdsm1.jpg

We removed the old door stickers with a heatgun and bit by bit we worked our way around the car, fitting the mouldings as we went and checking everything lined up and gapped ok. They were all bonded and clamped so they sat even and flush with no gaps...

image_zpsobqfozih.jpg

image_zps2bhkue7v.jpg

Then the fun bit started! After much stressing and measuring we eventually took the plunge and cut the bumper for the side exit exhaust.

Thankfully our measurements were bang on and the hole was perfect...

image_zpszlvgp5dj.jpg

While we were feeling lucky we masked up the screamer pipe and roughly marked the bonnet for the screamer pipe exit.

We weren't so lucky this time and this hole took a lot of cutting and shaping to get 100%. As with the bonnet, I wanted to leave a good gap around the pipe so the fibreglass or paint wouldn't suffer any heat damage. The hole was awkward to get correct as it had to be an elongated hole because of the angle of the screamer pipe.

image_zpsvrvijikq.jpg

The finished article :)

image_zpsqgl9movd.jpg

With the wings and moulding kit fitted and the bumper and bonnet drilled, it was now time to build up the front of the car.

Then came a problem... Because the car was square light originally, the front panel was different and the quadlights would not fit.

We modified the front panel slightly so the headlights would slot in

image_zpseiuqms17.jpg

And hey presto it's beginning to look like something...! I decided to run with clear indicators instead of the quadlight indicators just to be a little different.

image_zps7ytc9aan.jpg

I also got this little beauty! A genuine TOM's oil cap in red. Unfortunately it was covered in red paint but it cleaned up well.

image_zpsuop8q6hi.jpg

image_zpsspwey33d.jpg

image_zpslvypjgwl.jpg

image_zpspetzj84h.jpg

Lots more updates to come folks!

• 2 weeks later...

New shoes and socks for the beast!

Four brand new Yokohama Advan A048's. They are a wide 205/50/15 profile with a soft compound rubber so should grip up well and suit the 15" 7JJ rims perfectly.

image_zpsfwcqj1zs.jpg

image_zps0v2x8uh9.jpg

All fitted to my genuine TOM's New Action alloys...

image_zpsivzhebgd.jpg

image_zpsgucrf0yk.jpg

image_zps8ssjesyj.jpg

I also got these brand new red extended STEEL wheel nuts. They are a coloured extended wheel nut, similar to the lightweight aluminium wheel nuts on the market but a lot safer as they will not thread or damage as easily as the soft aluminium ones. They should look well :)

image_zps9dnmwewl.jpg

And finally I got my new TOM's sunstrip and TOM's rear window sticker...

image_zpsjdyqpldf.jpg

• 1 month later...