Air filter in wrong place?

So today I had to have my windscreen replaced as I had the pleasure of a rock cracking it a few days ago. I come back and the guy starts telling me off saying that my air filter is located in the wrong place? (Sorry I'm still learning the engine side of things and it was in this place when I got it). The pink is courtesy of me :)

If this is the case can someone tell/show me where it should be and how I would re-locate it there?

CA439FE7-orig_zps216dfbee.jpg

Problem is, mine still has a/c. Got a fmic sitting in the shed, but haven't made a decision about binning the a/c yet, or buying a new rad. I'm not sure where I could currently fit it at the front lol

Thats fine, there's a reason he's fitting windscreens and not working on cars by the sounds of things. But sure it may be better off at the front but you have a very oem set up so would find it hard to route it and tbf it looks quiet damn tidy as it is!

Thanks guys! I did find him a touch insulting if I'm honest, but get that a lot being a girl when it comes to cars! TurboTobz, thanks for the compliment, still stuff to be done but she is getting there slowly :)

Having it there reduces the chance of boost creep in my experience too.

this.

this is where the OEM system is, however, what the windscreen guy was getting at is the fact that, as it has no cold air feed, it will be sucking in warm air front the engine bay as there is no heat shield around the cone. however, as Mike has already pointed out, positioning it where you have (which is the same as I have done with mine) provides a more stable boost as its less likely to swallow a giant gulp of freezing cold air as it would if it was stuck out at the bumper.

some folk have their preferences, me I prefer safe, reliable, consistent boost, not the fear of a spike which will do more damage than the warmer air the filter gets in that location.

its grand where it is. if you're really worried, stick a cold air feed to it, or put a heat shield around it.

Phil.

Thanks Phil. I was only worried caus he was talking like I was gona blow the engine up. Sadly, i was at work when he came to repair it so have to behave myself as was outside the CEO window :)

I just wanted to check with you guys as your the experts, rather than some ding dong that fits windscreens and calls me "love".

Like I say, its quite normal round here that blokes look at my car and insult it caus their either a. jelous or b. caus im a girl thats just over 5ft haha!

Thanks for all your help everyone :) I'm just going to leave it as it is, 1 less job to do :)

Dont listen to anyone that:

Fits windscreens

Fits tyres and exhausts

Is an MOT tester

Works for the AA.

They are all failed mechanics.

Ok thats a bit exxagerated but u catch my drift. Just because they work with cars dont let them pretend they have a clue. They usually dont.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Dont listen to anyone that:

Fits windscreens

Fits tyres and exhausts

Is an MOT tester

Works for the AA.

They are all failed mechanics.

Ok thats a bit exxagerated but u catch my drift. Just because they work with cars dont let them pretend they have a clue. They usually dont.

LOL - I will be a certified M.O.T tester very very soon and i must admit i dont know fuk all thats why im always asking basic questions on the forum.