Putting gearbox back on

Ok so i nearly punched my own front windscreen through in anger last night because i couldnt get my gearbox back onto the car on my own. It was just too fuckin heavy and an awkward shape to lift it into position.

Tried to put a jack under it but the whole thing was just wobbling about and being a complete cunt. I havent got a hoist so this is proving to be a bit of a twat. I gave up last night in a bad mood because i couldnt do it, can someone give me some hints on how they got it back in, or is it a 2 man job after all :)

Craig

Edited by Taggy

It can be fucking horrible mate. Get the car on axle stands which I assume you already have done.

Make sure nothing is in the way and line the clutch plate up as central as possible.

Have a jack under the sump not the gearbox but have the engine hanging down on only the drivers side mount. The jack is just there to stop the engine mount from tearing.

Put the box on till its at least hanging there. Then lie with your head at the n/s wheel and feet at the o/s wheel with the box over your belly/chest and wiggle and push it like fuck it will slip on. Make sure u grease the input shaft to make it slide in better small holes like lube :thumbsup:

In fairness its far easier with 2 people. You at least then have someone to take the weight.

Edited by StuDoc 72

I had it on my thighs and lifted it up the way.

A rope around the bottom of the box and up to and around the strut brace is also a good way to get it into position.

Taggy, i think youve had the most gearbox trouble out of us all !!

I was so pissed off with it last night i just wanted to kick the holy shit out of it ha ha. The bay is a bit smaller on the boxy so it doesnt help. Will try again tonight with my mate :p

I was so pissed off with it last night i just wanted to kick the holy shit out of it ha ha. The bay is a bit smaller on the boxy so it doesnt help. Will try again tonight with my mate :p

Been in exactly the same position trying to get the box back on previously, took me about 3 days and 4 folk had a try at it! It can just be a pain to get the spline to engage but as above, lying on your back with the box on your chest is the best way.

I'll be trying to re-fit mine on Sunday with its new addition. ;)

I remove the dowel, push the gearbox on as much as it wants to then have a mate help me click it in the last bit. With the dowel out u can have the rear mount hangin low then just rotate the box so the mount rises up into position. Hope that makes sense.

I had to do 6 clutches on the one gtt because the owner (unknown to me) kept buyin fake exedy clutches off ebay for £130 and I found removung the dowel to be the quickest way.