The plugs vary from year to year on the thermostat housing and alternator for example but aslong as its mostly similar to your 85 loom you'll be alright :) Even if you have to swap a few plugs round. I'd love to go forged, hopefully next year :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right so the last few parts to get this up and running arrived today, they were ignition leads and turbo oil lines & banjo bolts. Got them fitted earlier today, primed the turbo, attached jump leads and fired it up for the first time since the turbo conversion. Everything went as planned with no issues or leaks etc :D happy days. Just need to buy a half size radiator and intercooler pipes then i can go boosting.

Here is a quick vid, sorry for the quality and the tractor noise, theres no exhaust after the downpipe lol.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfLNnKfog0Y

Haha cheers man, am sure Shorty will be back with a vengeance one day :) And thats good going man 1 week. I've only put about 18 hours into this total, which might seem like no time at all but it was a very easy conversion. Only thing which held me back was waiting on parts really. If i hadn't scrapped my GT with a lot of kit on it then i'd have had everything i needed lol, but i scrapped it about a week before this popped up haha.

Thanks man, its not that minty body wise but that will be fixed at some point lol. The turbo is a IHI VF12 which came on old JDM single turbo Subaru Legacys, its ment to be similar to a TD04 sorta thing. It should be alright :)

Was doing a bit to the car earlier, had to tidy my injector harness so its wrapped up properly with that fabric loom tape, also rotated my injectors 180° and tucked the wiring out of the way. Heres a pic of the bay as it is now, still lots of work to be done but my aim was to get it running first then i can mess about and tidy up later on.

20131208_123937_zpswhef43eb.jpg

And a pic of the turbo, i have a 90° metal bit that bolts on to it so i can get a filter in behind the grill area.

20131208_123956_zpsckca6kxi.jpg

And i have MK3 seats attached to 85 bases and it all bolts down with no cutting or welding and rails up :) Need to retrim my door cards aswell. And clean the whole interior.

20131208_132231_zpsqmrimxol.jpg

wow fast progress dude its looking good your making me want to turbo my FE now haha

Haha cheers man, you should defo do it like, theres a few different ways to do the conversion, using the equivalent FTE parts (looms and sensors etc.) and strapping a turbo to a FE is the easiest id say.

Yeah will have a look into it i got offered to buy a glanza engine but its not running and the owner doesent know whats up with it so not sure.

If its just the engine then stay away because it'll be fucked. If its a whole car non running then theres potential in that ?

Massive update, not really. Bought these.

20131213_202933_zps922c9bf1.jpg

And this so i can run it to the limit of the box which is about 135 or so lol.

20131213_202703_zpsb25b2f47.jpg

Also if anybody wants to buy my EP91 white auto Carat then drop me a PM, no parts vultures lol.

Anyway there should be more progress with the 85 after xmas, ideally i want it on the road for end on Jan.

• 3 weeks later...

Just another small update, bought 2 rolls of heatwrap, so the turbo kit is back off now and the mani & screamer are getting wrapped, gonna leave the downpipe un-wrapped because its stainless and looks quite smart. Also got a half size rad so i'll get that fired on soon :)

20131230_182113_zpsbhh7vjds.jpg

No updates yet really, i got the rad fitted and thats about it.

Also i managed to do this :(

20140104_114648_zps9bqxfqgi.jpg

The door on the Carat swung open as i was reversing.

Anyway so since im needing a new door i will be fitting a GT kit to it aswell, but leaving the 85 front as it is :)

• 1 month later...

Well there has been very little progress with this :(

I got a random GT exhaust system in the hope i can use some of it and just have the back section custom made, forgot to get a pic haha. Will still be using my 5zigen border backbox.

I heatwrapped the manifold and screamer an bolted the 90° bend onto the turbo, the intake sits right at the grille so should get decent direct air flow.

20140120_145544_zps36xyboay.jpg

I also went over to see Charlie and pick up GT parts off his breaker, thanks again, so now i have a full GT trim kit, rear bumper, spoiler and doors :) Will get it all sprayed blue eventually.

Just replaced the door that was damaged, looks a bit like Enzos swat bus now haha.

20140222_152146_zpswpuybmd1.jpg

And obviously swapped out the electric motors and put the manual windy ones in the GT doors instead :D

20140222_141825_zpsi9fhmkjo.jpg

Thats about it really, only thing i need to get this boosting now is intercooler pipes :)

• 1 month later...

Well as per usual there has been very little progress with this :/ Havent lost interest or anything just cant be fucked working on it after working on cars all day every day as a job haha.

Anyway ive bought some small things which should be arriving soon, got some black sparco harnesses, pair of import number plates (12x6 front & 13x7 rear) got a wee breather filter and a pcv grommet.

Also managed to get a nice TD/VF fitment intercooler hotpipe.

photo%204_zpsvsb9pyjm.jpg

So hopefully get my intercooler kit fitted pretty soon and finally drive this fuckin thing with a bit of boost :D

Heres a couple of pictures as it stands now, still a bit of a mess but im not too worried about the cosmetics atm.

20140329_185402_zpsrtjuft8b.jpg

20140329_185328_zpshnyigecl.jpg

I know haha everyone is saying that, its only because i fucked the door and white ones were the easiest available :) They'll be getting painted along with the GT kit i have sitting here but not before i enjoy the slutty sleeper look for a wee while :)