Why do people spend all this money?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completly agree im in the same boat myself. With running stupid power in such a small car you have to put in a cluncky diff that is horrible around town and tyres that dont like the rain. Along with other mods like a very heavy clutch and so on.

But when it comes on boost and all your mods work together is when its worth it :)

Edited by Foggy

15k to spend.....e46 M3. Best overall thing you can buy at that money. Great Daily & Great Track Car all in a good looking package. :)

This forum is so bitchy these days.... Personally I don't see why folk spend 5k on a Starlet... Its all well Socks saying "I can beat £100,000 supercars".... at the end of the day you've still a little 90s city car.... its not a sports car by a long fooking shot. Plus there is more to "beating" cars than a blat on the motorway.

The car world is the same all over, even in the S-Body realm folk break perfectly good cars simply because its the only way to get some of the money you've sunk into a depeciating asset.

Each to their own but I don't see myself getting another 90s jap car for a while. I sold the 180sx about a month and a half ago. Jenny and I worked out since I was 19 (when I got my Glanza) through bank loans and buying car shit I've easy spend £30,000 on cars in 10 years.... after it all I've pretty much got nothing to show for it.

^^ really??, with a few mods, like brakes n stuff they are pretty good

Na he's right, mine has a thorney motorsport proven 368hp after lots of mods and its not amazing but I will say its a much nicer world to live in and the handling is great. Starlets with lots of power go like fuck in a straight line yes and with lots of chassis mods they handle but at the end of the day it's down to the driver if you ask me.

I think it all depends on what you do with your car. If you are actually going to track a car or spirited road trips on windy roads then i don't see a problem dumping money in a car but if your only going to use it as a daily driver with an occasional highway/street race i would disagree with dumping money. Ive owned my V for 7 yrs and the only mod was a turbo timer. I've dumped over 15K and I would regret it but 4K to buy the V in 2006 and lets say 15K over 7 years not too bad. I wish I could keep my car forever. I love owning a starlet i love how light and agile it is and how different it is from a typical car. If you have driven on some of the roads ive driven on in japan watching s13's and 180's, evo's trying to keep up on windy roads then your appreciation for a starlet grows. Alright my love story is over. And it's supposed to be a hobby!!!!

200bhp with a nice lag-less setup, decent set of springs that aint too hard, and uprated brakes not like 6 pot etc but just maybe a levin brake swap or something. wouldnt cost the world far from infact and you got a fantastic little street car.

at the end of the day if you dont want a little rice rocket dont get a starlet lol. i personally hate m3's with a passion they are big heavy gaz guzzling tyre shredding wallet destroyers but there ya go lol.

Theres no such thing as a nice RS4

In your opinion maybe, but I like them, always have done. and the question was if you had 15k to spend on a car, what would u have, and that's what I'd have.

In your opinion maybe, but I like them, always have done. and the question was if you had 15k to spend on a car, what would u have, and that's what I'd have.

Just seen this... LOL Can't believe I've just read that...I'd have an RS4 over a Starlet Every single day of the week....great engine note, fantastic interior, great looking and all and all a better package.... not a rattly 90s granny car with some power under the bonnet.

Lmao!! Every thread like this i see now is turnin sour. everyone has diff taste's in diff cars and everyone has there oppinions but seems like everyone is arguing now a days on here. whats happnin???... people cant take a laugh and a joke no more!!! :-P

15k to spend.....e46 M3. Best overall thing you can buy at that money. Great Daily & Great Track Car all in a good looking package. :)

This forum is so bitchy these days.... Personally I don't see why folk spend 5k on a Starlet... Its all well Socks saying "I can beat £100,000 supercars".... at the end of the day you've still a little 90s city car.... its not a sports car by a long fooking shot. Plus there is more to "beating" cars than a blat on the motorway.

The car world is the same all over, even in the S-Body realm folk break perfectly good cars simply because its the only way to get some of the money you've sunk into a depeciating asset.

Each to their own but I don't see myself getting another 90s jap car for a while. I sold the 180sx about a month and a half ago. Jenny and I worked out since I was 19 (when I got my Glanza) through bank loans and buying car shit I've easy spend £30,000 on cars in 10 years.... after it all I've pretty much got nothing to show for it.

this mate just sold mine want a newer car... its not all about beating cars haha

enough was enough for me spent so much and so much more needed doing and its a 20 year old car LOL

Edited by iamlegend

Just seen this... LOL Can't believe I've just read that...I'd have an RS4 over a Starlet Every single day of the week....great engine note, fantastic interior, great looking and all and all a better package.... not a rattly 90s granny car with some power under the bonnet.

May i ask why you are on a starlet forum? Talk about love for starlets, jeez.... You'll be saying corsa VXR's are better next..

All I can say now is I miss my starlet and I wish that I had never sold her. Yes I am moving on to bigger faster things but I should have kept her in the garage and saved a couple more thousand instead. The passion of the build is where it's at, I firmly believe if you do it yourself all of the effort and beer that you drink in the garage fucking things up and eventually getting things right is the best feeling ever once complete.

What I can't stand is people that simply pay people to do all the mods/engine work and then boast about how great their car is, fuck I could easily do that but I would have to find another hobby to keep me occupied lol

my engine was built by td that was it...

the rest of the work was carried out by me... Fitting coilovers/interior/wheels/body it's and so in... Was always tinkering on with her...

when it comes to building a engine then it's down to some one else haha!!

My white glanza

Bought stock and ended up tuned to bits and tdo4 me and my mate done so I miss that beasssssst

Aye i was comparing an RS4 to a starlet lollll. I said u dont get a a nice RS4 which is imo true given that all audis are generic boring and look the same.

May i ask why you are on a starlet forum? Talk about love for starlets, jeez.... You'll be saying corsa VXR's are better next..

Id love to know aswell tbh.

My opinion is that as everyone has said, definitely not in the modding game for financial reasons.

Also as said the build is more the interesting thing for me, learning about things as you go along and hopefully watching the standard car being built into something faster or cooler. And buying parts here and there although when you count it all up can come to big numbers, but realistically not many have the full amount they have spent sitting about in one big figure, if they had maybe another car would have been bought really.

But I am guilty of spending big then breaking myself, for me it was the usual cycle of build the car then feel like a change at the end and use the funds from breaking on the next thing to interest me.

Personally, each to there own, I love light weight punchy engines hatch backs and tbh I can't see much to touch a V in that field. The smiles per mile factor is neigh on unbeatable when they're running right.

If you've got the money to indulge in something your passionate about then why the hell not? The misses dad spends thousands a year on golf for fuck sake, goes once a month and always bitches about getting beat. If I spent the equivalent on a car I can drive it at least once a week and get a giggle every time.