Headlights discoloured

Ok my glanza failed the mot on a few little things 1 being that a headlight is discoloured and affects the output of light.

I've not checked this out properly as I've only got the car back and it's now dark. I'm not sure if I can polish the outside of the headlamp to remove the discolouration or if its inside the lamp?

Anybody had any experience with this??

Can I heat and split the lamp? Or is a new headlamp required?

Any help appreciated. Won't be able to check if out till Monday now as I'm working nites all weekend :(

I dont know about the otherthings mate but DONT. Try and split the lens lol i tried with all the reccomended methods and i made a mess! To say the least!

If u search on youtube for "glanza headlight refurbishing" one of the lads of here did a 'how to' video!

(Y)

It's a stupid thing to fail on really unless it's very bad all different country's have different light strength settings to suit their enviroment so technically if they were crystal clear headlights they are not UK standard requirement settings in the first place lol...

Glanza lights dont have the little 'E' on them so they dont have to meet european standards. I'd polish them up a wee bit, and if its failed again just complain lol.

They should get tested to USA standards technically which are very lenient and hardly require a beam pattern at all.

Cheers for the replies guys,

I've got my own polisher and some farecla rubbing compound ill give them a polish using that. I'm aware of the toothpaste trick aswell alough I'd probably use the rubbing compound to see if it makes them any clearer.

I did notice a bit yellowing on the headlight but never payed much attention to wether its possible to split the lamp or not.

Ill watch the video when I'm outta work and hopefully have a bash on Monday :)

I used G3 compond with a damp cloth and a bit of elbow grease and they came out like new.

It only takes the best part of 10 mins.

You dont need to bother using a polisher.

I you do use the polisher dont apply to much force on the headlights as the adjuster brackets are rather flimsy.

Got this done 1st thing this morning.

Both headlights were yellow looking, drivers side being the worse.

Gave both the headlights a good rub with some 600 paper which removed a lot of dirt and scratches, I then gave it a few passes with some 1200 paper leaving both headlights cloudy looking.

I polished both lamps by hand with some farecla g3 compound, this brought them up not to bad but still left a few light scratches. I then used the electric polisher and gave them a couple of passes with some water and g3 compound again which cut the rest of the visable scratches out.

Never took any before pictures but both lamps were yellowed, the drivers side was the worst.

Here's a couple of pictures of how they look now.

null_zps8c735d9f.jpg

null_zpsc4fd0bf8.jpg

null_zps93cdcfd6.jpg

Still a few marks but overall I'm happy enough and so should my mot tester be :)