MIKEY4410 1998 STARLET SPORTIF TURBO--rear cambered terror------

Okies an update.

Oil cooler fitted up and total cost was just over £20

Even though its a small oil cooler its cooling the oil to much.i expected this would be the case

WATER TEMP STAYED AROUND 83° and OIL TEMP 58°. These temps are after 15mins of driving

Oil is way to low and it should be optimally around 82°←→92° so I am now gradually blocking of the cooler in stages with easily removable tape till I get to around 75°.

That then allows for anything over the "granny driving" which i do 90 % of the time

Pictures will be up soon !!!!!!

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okies an update.

Oil cooler fitted up and total cost was just over £20

Even though its a small oil cooler its cooling the oil to much.i expected this would be the case

WATER TEMP STAYED AROUND 83° and OIL TEMP 58°. These temps are after 15mins of driving

Oil is way to low and it should be optimally around 82°←→92° so I am now gradually blocking of the cooler in stages with easily removable tape till I get to around 75°.

That then allows for anything over the "granny driving" which i do 90 % of the time

Pictures will be up soon !!!!!!

I'm glad you cleared that up. I've always debated doing it but didn't know how it would go on a Glanza/Starlet. If they're cooling way to much im guessing just sick to what ive got an not go down that path.

Obviously I have yet to spray paint the oil cooler brackets green to match, and I keep checking for leaks etc as I am new to oil coolers and better to be safe than sorry but all is well after checking just now.

Also got it running at 70° on the nose with standard driving.

Vey happy and cost naff all to fit this bit of kit.

Well it really looked like new, that's why I asked.

After seeing that small cooler I thought of ways to blend it to not cool to much and have a way to move that blending without stopping the car. Maybe like air vents, stripes of alu that can be fully closed and partially opened via electromotors. But I don't have the full electrics in my head yet. I'd be doing it like a volume button in the inside of the car but really I don't know yet how to wire it up so it really only opens partial.

That is just my idea for maximum usability. And space wise in the engine bay it would be bigger only in width by the size of a motor and in depth by the depth of the stripes.

Edited by Xpect

Well, to be honest, I love little gadgets. Like for example I want my fuel tank to open with a stroke of a finger via a capacitive sensor. But that may take some time till I get there :D

Had that idea out of an australian car forum.

Also I have some basic ideas how to build a double-DIN radio, well basically a car PC with a big touchscreen and a little 2x20 charakter display and some physocal knobs. I like that sort of stuf.

Oh and for cleanliness I thought of running a flexible antenna inside my spoiler and weld the original hole shut.

You see, many lottle detaols in my head that are nearly invisible and hard to do. But make quite unique changes. Like the Supra boot puller mod, which for a change is really easy.

update.

checked all my new lines and cooler for leaks and oil level and water etc etc.all is great with that.

did a random compression check and results were absolutely fine which is also great

my new exedy clutch has arrived.was £100 delivered off ebay.will fit this in next few months.

20140110_141156_zpsf8bcc121.jpg

lastly after seeing and confirming my engines in good health I want to keep iit that way so got rid of the mesh on the turbo and bought a proper filter

20140110_122121_zps4ec565c9.jpg

cheers guys

Edited by mikey4410

1437 postsGender: MaleLocation:ESSEXJoined: 15-September 12

Posted Today, 05:05 PM

ok so went to local dyno shop.

my car with the above mods is putting out 158 bhp and 129.9 ftlbs .

the tuner was very happy with a/f ratios, he said there is absolutely NO Knock going on.He said torque curve and power delivery was very very smooth.

engine temp was 87c, Inlet was 20c, oil at 78c..

he explained that he thinks me clutch is slipping abit and im losing in the region of 10-15 hp.

I said your dam right about clutch slipping.its knackerd.lol

I am running quite rich but he said thats fine to be on safe side and prevent any issues.

2nd gear a/f of 11.0, 3rd gear 10.5

tried to upload the dyno graph but wont let me.will try again another time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE !!!!!!

so this morning bright and early at 7am i fitted my new exedy clutch that i have had for months !!!

was a pain in the ass to do but i saved £160 for somebody to do it for me which is well worth the saving

newclutchbox_zps417ad4cd.jpg

made a clutch alignment tool and the clutch housing went on first time without issue.new clutch below

clutchandtool_zpsfa24cc50.jpg

clutchofnewtobefitted_zps9af92835.jpg

also i did another big job i have been meaning to do since xmas but we havent had the weather for it..............UNDERSEALING THE CAR WITH WAXOYL.

a shitty job but cost just £15 to do whole bottom of car and arches.very happy and peace of mind its not going to ever rust and go horrid under there

underseal2_zpsac19de5f.jpg

underseal1_zps3058badb.jpg

also i have removed the ct9 manifold and converter and now have a proper td04 toyosport mild steel mani which i fitted last week.

has helped alot as the runners are bigger but its flowing more and now altered me a/f ratio. luckily i always ran it rich so its not been a problem and i noticed it quickly .

need to know what fuel pressure to set it to now though.was at 2.0 bar and i was getting a/f of 11

i am guessing i need to go to nearl 2.5 ish fuel pressure to allow for extra flow etc

Edited by mikey4410