MIKEY4410 1998 STARLET SPORTIF TURBO--rear cambered terror------

sooooo,

here we go with my starlet sportif build thread,

got this green starlet sportif this time last year OCT 2012.i bought it for £750 with 110,000 miles on and car was in pretty good condition really.i have had a few gt turbos and i fancied something different and had always fancied a "sleeper" starlet and i new potentially this could be my "sleeper" in time.

First thing i did was get a decent cat1 alarm fitted and also a tracker.I feel an cat1 alarm is the least you should have on a car.

For now i wanted a nice run around car that was tidy and reliable. This time round with this starlet i wanted to go all out on handling instead of engine tuning,so i did just that.pretty much all conceivable handling mods you can do to a starlet i have done and more !!! Ihave even fabricated up adjustable rear camber on my sportif.

HANDLING MODS ARE/WERE AS FOLLOWS :

#23mm rear wheel spacers,12mm front spacers

# polybushed wishbones

# polybushed whiteline panhard rod adjustable

# rear anti roll bar fully polybushed

# polybushed gt rear beam with discs

# polybushed drop links

# engine mounts polybushed

# tein master mono flex coilovers (400lbs front,250lbs rear spring rate

# battery relocated to left side of boot

# corner weighted car myself with 8 sets of bathroom scales (55% front 45% rear with half tank fuel)

# rainsports 3 tyres on 15" steel wheels

# rear camber fabricated

# front yellow stuff brake pads/ mintex 1155 front brake pads

#braided hel braded brake lines all round

# 3D alignment costing £140 (2* camber all way round and -0.3 toe up front)

# front gt strut brace

# rear 3 point strut brace custom fabricated mounts (no mountings as standard uk spec)

#car has 10 kgs of ballast in wheel well,aswell as still retaining the spare skinny.

These things make the car handle savagely well and i did a track day at brands hatch beginning of the year and showed alot of cars up even with just 70 bhp. I learnt that braking and handling are pretty much the most important things and power comes last.

After the trackday i realised how much a standard seat doesnt hold you in so i got a cheap corbeau drivers seat and made my own mounts for £3.The seat made a huge difference in everyday fast driving but i have yet to try it on a track but im sure it will hold me very well.

So after the trackday and having a great base of a car that handled and braked well i thought nows the time to get it turboed. Summer came along and i got a donor car which was actually a sportif turbo itself funnily enough,but it was in an awful way.Me and me mate drove 2 half hours to see it and it was a joke. Gearbox jumped out of 5th so that was for the bin.The only thing going for it was the 170 psi per cylinder over all four cylinders. This made me just buy it and get it home just about. It had a bad boost leak and that was all that was wrong and i knew it.

Took me around 100 hours to do the turbo conversion as i wanted to take me time and really get it right and bang on. Obviously i did clean and spray the engine bay and tart it all up etc whilst doing all the work. It all went well and i am currently still running the n/a gearbox.

I completed the conversion at the end of june this year and i am very happy with the car now it has the best of power and handling.

i am running a td04 @ 10.5 psi just below fuel cut and am very happy how it goes.

recently got a nice big j-performance front mount fitted with water jet sprayers,then i stenciled on the airtech logo as i like the look of it (i know its a ford brand but i dont care)

below is engine being cleaned and prepared for fitting.all bolts checked etc etc

IMG-20130724-WA0005_zpsc0f48dad.jpg

engine stand shot

IMG-20140125-WA0011_zps5e70eecd.jpg

another of engine in engine stand

IMG-20130724-WA0006_zps8275e040.jpg

engine bay fully cleaned and sprayed/tarted up throughly prepared for engine to go in.it was immaculate

IMG-20130724-WA0009_zps06e087ff.jpg

IMG-20140125-WA0005_zps721188df.jpg

IMG-20140125-WA0004_zps1789818b.jpg

engine all fitted up and running.note i wasnt running an intercooler at this point as i wanted to be different and stealthy.worked very well actually.

IMG-20130724-WA0008_zpsf6a29a9e.jpg

IMG-20140125-WA0002_zps88392474.jpg

2ppj.jpg

ax0v.jpg

gavc.jpg

59p5.jpg

7arv.jpg

mpn1.jpg

38m2.jpg

wloy.jpg

rfa0.jpg

my car

Edited by mikey4410
  • Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im also very interested to see how the rear camber was done, by the looks of it, chopped the stubs on and just bolted them back on?

Would be interesting to see what the toe angle is!

But all in all, I like how this looks!

yeap just cut the rear stub axle of very very carefully and then spacered it out to add camber. Its currently sitting at about 2 degrees at the rear and same up front.

Had the car 3d aligned at my mate neils workshop in bishops stortford. The alignment of a 3d machine is alot better than laser,more precise etc.

Theres no toe in or out,just camber.

And thank you very much !

Edited by mikey4410

yeap just cut the rear stub axle of very very carefully and then spacered it out to add camber. Its currently sitting at about 2 degrees at the rear and same up front.

Theres no toe in or out,just camber.

And thank you very much !

Hmm, this is really tempting haha, I need some camber to stop my scrubbing issues.

Look forward to seeing this at some point, you going children in need this year?

The difference it makes in handling is huge,back end feels planted and alot grippier.A must do in my eyes,would recommend it to any starlet owner.

problem is its hugely harder than it sounds to do it,took me around 5 hours to do it properly and thoroughly and if you get the cutting wrong whatsoever you will adversely affect the handling instead of improving it.Took me nearly an hour per side to cut stubs PERFECTLY,then even then theres angle grinding to do,painting and refitting the whole axle back on the car.Its a BIG job and quite a hard one so please be aware.

Yes i will be attending the C I N cruise for sure.

The difference it makes in handling is huge,back end feels planted and alot grippier.A must do in my eyes,would recommend it to any starlet owner.

problem is its hugely harder than it sounds to do it,took me around 5 hours to do it properly and thoroughly and if you get the cutting wrong whatsoever you will adversely affect the handling instead of improving it.Took me nearly an hour per side to cut stubs PERFECTLY,then even then theres angle grinding to do,painting and refitting the whole axle back on the car.Its a BIG job and quite a hard one so please be aware.

Yes i will be attending the C I N cruise for sure.

I dunno if you read my thread but ive been having wheel bearing issues anyway, after ive sorted them out I may look into this a bit more in depth.

I know how much of a job it will be, will be the kinda thing I'll do with a spare beam aha! After all, even if its cut slightly wonky custom shims could sort any off angles couldn't they?

As long as ive sorted mine out ill be down for children in need, I don't suppose you know if many starlets are going?