TD04 Manifold, TD04 Downpipe, TD04 Turbo..Anything TD04..

Interesting, Ive always ran water lines on my track Glanza

if track use only then an oil cooler in the system and a solely oil cooled turbo would be ideal. tried and tested on cossies/lets etc

let your coolant/radiator deal with engine only.

Surely if your cooling system is doing its job correctly it will always maintain the temperature to where is should be?

i see the point, but its more about asking less of the system in return for easier maintained temps with sustained use.

Phil

Edited by Philm
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to quote you directly but what you are saying isn't true at all.

The cooling circuit on a turbo doesn't cool the turbo much during the running. (the oil does most of the cooling, so the engine would get warm anyway)

What the water lines are there for is to keep the turbo cool AFTER the engine is turned off. To stop the oil burning and causing issues with the turbo.

I remember me, you and tobz talking about that. You guys words were "Best to run a turbo hot than run a hot engine" so would i need to essentially block them off on the turbo and the engine?

You called me on a Sunday afternoon, (if I remember correctly) shouting the odds and saying things you probably wouldn't say in person.

Obviously there was nothing I could do to help you at the time, so told you to calm down and send the manifold back the following day.

I didn't say it was to be expected, I said it sounded like you had a high EGT problem, and I wouldn't recommend running a TD04 at high boost for extended periods on track.

You declined my offer, did you carry on using the manifold?

I can't fault him, I'd be the same other way round. Just didn't like the fact when I spoke to him on the phone at the side of the track with my wastegate hanging off, that apparently it was to be expected as they are only rated to 280bhp for short periods of time, not a full track session hahaha!

Funny now, but pissed me off at the time so the conversation did get a little heated!

Yeah can't wait for it to be done now!

The cooling circuit on a turbo doesn't cool the turbo much during the running. (the oil does most of the cooling, so the engine would get warm anyway)

What the water lines are there for is to keep the turbo cool AFTER the engine is turned off. To stop the oil burning and causing issues with the turbo.

Im new to all this anyway! Feel free to correct me!

It's still putting excess heat through the cooling system, that for the price of a td04 is not worth it

Depending on the deign of the turbo

But the way i've always seen things is why would Toyota subaru Nissan and everyother company deign the turbo to have water going through it? Its there for a reason

the cooling circuit doesnt cool the turbo much during running. agreed. infact the turbo heats the coolant during running, on a 4e when many run a half size radiator this isnt ideal.

a cool down period easily sorts temperature difference between oil and turbo, during which oil has movement on its side to work against ponding/burning.

a cool down period is completely feasible on a track car which was what i was talking about.

however on my road car ive no problems fitting that cooling period in also.

Phil

Edited by Philm

You called me on a Sunday afternoon, (if I remember correctly) shouting the odds and saying things you probably wouldn't say in person.

Obviously there was nothing I could do to help you at the time, so told you to calm down and send the manifold back the following day.

I didn't say it was to be expected, I said it sounded like you had a high EGT problem, and I wouldn't recommend running a TD04 at high boost for extended periods on track.

You declined my offer, did you carry on using the manifold?

I would have defiantly said the same things if you were there, prob more so!? I was 200miles from home with a wastegate hanging off, of course I would be pissed off.

You said to me 'ahh yeah, I bet your car isn't mapped is it' which is what you said to me the first time it happened. To which I replied, 'yes it is, EMU by Tuning Developments'

This is when you asked me what boost and bhp, I told you (1.4bar @ 272bhp), you then said 'well you're at the limit of out kit, and it's not designed to be pushed for that period of time at that boost'

To which I thought was completely false advertising is it's rated at 280bhp. Should be rated to 1 bar, and can withstand short periods or 1.4 lol.

(Don't take it word for word, but that was the general way the convo went)

No I didn't send it to you, as it's a ball ache sending it off and having it repaired every other track day. I've since fitted extra bracing and it's not too bad.

So I can run turbos for years on end waterless trouble free, yet they need them?

I'd understand if you were talking about an expensive turbo...

Just because the td04 turbos are cheap dont mean shit lol if you spend 4k on a forged engine and fragments of burn oil where getting put into the engine its going to cause problems with that befor long so keeping buying the turbos but you'll also be buying an engine over time! Also dont forget the bearings in a td04 turbo are only brass so heat/burnt oil will kill the bearings the shaft and could detonate into your engine also

Just because the td04 turbos are cheap dont mean shit lol if you spend 4k on a forged engine and fragments of burn oil where getting put into the engine its going to cause problems with that befor long so keeping buying the turbos but you'll also be buying an engine over time! Also dont forget the bearings in a td04 turbo are only brass so heat/burnt oil will kill the bearings the shaft and could detonate into your engine also

but the water/coolant doesn't cool the turbo during use.

Phil

but the water/coolant doesn't cool the turbo during use.

Phil

I know lol

But when the turbo is sat there turned off like Ricky has said its going to burn the oil! So when restating the car the next morning the burnt oil is going to get spun around that shaft/bearing so still going to course damage over time!

I do however get what you are saying about the run down time if you are driveing home after racing someone and you dont come on boost all the way home and just took it steady then i cant realy see that been a problem as the oil has had time to cool down to a leave thats not going to course problems

I know lol

But when the turbo is sat there turned off like Ricky has said its going to burn the oil! So when restating the car the next morning the burnt oil is going to get spun around that shaft/bearing so still going to course damage over time!

I do however get what you are saying about the run down time if you are driveing home after racing someone and you dont come on boost all the way home and just took it steady then i cant realy see that been a problem as the oil has had time to cool down to a leave thats not going to course problems

sorry shouldnt have quoted you, was just typing in frustration lol

i accept that for a daily that some knob is going to blat right up to his door/work and fire off then yes he will eventually do damage. likely no-matter what setup he uses.

but for a track car (like mentioned earlier) or a enthusiasts car that they allow to cool down after any heavy use, the issue wont occur.

Almost more importantly for the track user or prolonged use person, the water lines will heat the coolant during operation putting stress on what is (in the starlet world) an already limited system.

my preference would no waterlines, thermostated oil cooler and a cool down period after heavy use.

Phil

Edited by Philm

The excess heat and burning oil would cause an issue to the engine. The turbo isn't designed to run without a water supply.

The cooling is for after and doesn't do much during use, yet you say without one during use your going to produce excess heat and burn oil?

For the lazy we have turbo timers, for the sensible we have warm down periods say 10 minutes from turn off driving slowly and giving the oil time to cool.

Suppose it depends if you understand and respect your car or thrash it. I certainly look after mine I've never had any issues with turbos or burning oil, and the only times I've ran lines are on the standard ct9.