Testing continuity of knock sensor wiring

engine management is bringing up an error 52 on the knock sensor, so i want to test the continuity of the wiring back to the ECU, does anyone know what colour wire goes from the knock sensor up to the ECU?

Its a white wire (usually faded to a cream colour) no dashes or lines. Also test the shielding surrounding the signal wire. Note, the shielding should NOT be connected to the engine block and should finish just before the plug. Its connected to the signal ground earths about 100mm up the loom from the ecu.

Well there is no continuity on the mother fucker with a multimeter, unplugged the sensor and drove it and it did exactly the same thing so defo a dodgy wire. Only thing that worries me is that the car seems to drive fine otherwise and if it wasnt for the fact the light was on I wouldnt have even noticed.

Will have to rewire a new cable in and see how i get on :)

Edited by Taggy

I am beginning to wonder if this is the reason my car melted its pistons, i suspect the ECU has never been able to retard the timing in the past due to this duff wire and its only come to light as Grant plumed in the EML light recently! Must have had lots of detonation which melted them.

Edited by Taggy

Yeah it was always on the to do list unfortunatly as the stock boxy cluster hasnt got an EML light, or an ECU for that matter lol, so Grant has now plumed my old "Choke" light to the EML, so works a treat. Its even yellow, hes a good lad!

Hey Grant I am gonna buy some track time tonight, did you buy just one session or two and which ones so i can go on with you ha!

One thing to remember the knock sensor isn't a magic fix. If the engine is experiencing knock regularly there is a problem. When I was driving it I could hear any knock. But it's the high load, high speed situations that are the worst and I didn't boot it hard past 3rd gear.

I went for the novice sessions :p 9.50 and 16.04 times

Its a white wire (usually faded to a cream colour) no dashes or lines. Also test the shielding surrounding the signal wire. Note, the shielding should NOT be connected to the engine block and should finish just before the plug. Its connected to the signal ground earths about 100mm up the loom from the ecu.

Its a black wire not cream!!!

• 3 months later...