starlet or citroen vts

Get an old scappy B16 CRX and use that :)

Don't ruin a CRX!!! Civic wouldn't be a bad shout though.

What about a mk1 Toyota MR2 they're 1.6 non turbo.

Edited by ste91

You just want a really light weight piece of shit with a powerful reliable 1.6 or something of equal power.... What about rotory engines? Not sure how they perform without a turbo? Probably shit thinking about it...

If it were me I'd probably be looking into a really cheap 1.1 saxo or something similar due to no weight and then a B16. Be easy to do for under a grand if you know how to do the work yourself and the B series engines take abuse all day long. Plus you'll have about 30-50bhp over the saxo boys depending on what they've done and what you end up doing to the engine ;)

So you're not allowed to do engine conversions either? Has to be a car that came originally with THAT 1.6 or less?

As much as I love the starlet, against a shit box saxo with nearly 50bhp more, you won't stand a chance lol.... I'd probably go for a saxo too if I'm honest. Unless you find a civic vti cheap enough (which you won't :p)

Old corolla gti but they are getting rare and expensive.

Civic 1.6 vtec D16 or B16 but doubt you'll get either in your price range.

Ford puma 1.7 or is that out the group size?

Fiesta Zetec S? Bit underpowered but handle well.

Micra k11 1.3 weigh less than a starlet and have the same power stock plus run 2 cats so could possibly make your own exhaust to free a few ponies up easily.