may not be a reason to you but may be a big positive for someone who commutes on a roads/motorways regualrly etc

Definately agree with you but at the same time it's not an underlining fact to every glanza that runs a td04 is more economically friendly than the ct9 it all depends on what mods you have and how you drive it imo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha ha we got a good debate going now my fellow starleteers , keep it going lads :) :)

I always get pulled into these td04 debate's lol I don't dislike them or anything but people go on like it's the only way to go in achieving the better car for all around ( in general not aimed at anyone) then stick some rota's on it's nearly all the same route's nothing wrong with that just gets boring to read. Right back to topic 206bhp is pretty good result in my opinion some form of LSD will get the td04 power down properly on the straights and through the corners I would suggest this upgrade before the bigger powersme people will disagree but it makes sense to me!

if everyone went hybrid then it would just be the same the other way round. Tbf i think hybrids are pretty overrated and expensive and often shit themselves at decent boost levels. TF035 is the way to go if you want good power to the redline and good spool, plus the added benefit of only having to pay 60-100 for a replacement turbo.

I do agree that yes its boring that everyone goes TD04, a lot of people have no imagination haha. The VF series turbos are still largely unexplored on starlets. Maybe because a lot are massive and quite dear off Scooby owners.

Not sure I agree there as with any turbo car not boosting it/putting your foot down is eco friendly, if saving petrol is what you want don't buy jap buy a diesel :)

Not saying it's "what I want", just saying that it's a positive. If you can save fuel and save money yet still retain loads of power then surely that's a good thing.

Edited by Arnold

I do agree that yes its boring that everyone goes TD04, a lot of people have no imagination haha. The VF series turbos are still largely unexplored on starlets. Maybe because a lot are massive and quite dear off Scooby owners.

i am boosting a lovely vf10 ( rhb5?? ) <<<<does it mean roller bearing ??? / it spools fast and goos pretty fast to its around same size as tdo4l or there abouts

All really good thoughts lads feel getting the power down with an lsd first is a great idea :) then defo go td04 when the right kit for the right price turns up :) worth bying new? Or just wait for a second hand kit to turn up?

i am boosting a lovely vf10 ( rhb5?? ) <<<<does it mean roller bearing ??? / it spools fast and goos pretty fast to its around same size as tdo4l or there abouts

Im not sure the ins and outs but i thought the older ones were all journal bearings. I have a VF10 aswell (not fitted) and i have a VF12 fitted. Will find out soon what its like :D

All really good thoughts lads feel getting the power down with an lsd first is a great idea :) then defo go td04 when the right kit for the right price turns up :) worth bying new? Or just wait for a second hand kit to turn up?

You can pick up new WEPR kits (mani & downpipe) for pretty cheap imo, you find that most used kits hold their value very well and might aswell pay the extra few quid and get new.

The reason TD04 is so popular is because you can do a whole kit for £150 if you're wise. Both times I've gone TD04 I've bought all my kit and then made a profit selling my CT9 stuff at the same time as gaining bhp. It's a no brainer really?... As far as economy I can relate as with the ct9 it's hard to keep it off boost especially when on the motorway at around 3-4k.

It's just easier and cheaper to get power gains from a td04, technically the engine is under less strain with less boost running through it as is the turbo... Other than a slightly earlier spool I don't see any benefit of the CT9 over a TD04.

Reasons I went TD04 are more power, cheaper, every CT9 I've experienced boost creeps and has a cracked wastegate and bitches love it when you say "scooby turbo" because the silly plonkers think imprezas are the fastest cars on earth :crazy: ... And the CT9 does look a little sorry for itself. It's like a turbo but smaller.

if everyone went hybrid then it would just be the same the other way round. Tbf i think hybrids are pretty overrated and expensive and often shit themselves at decent boost levels. TF035 is the way to go if you want good power to the redline and good spool, plus the added benefit of only having to pay 60-100 for a replacement turbo.

If the TF035 is the way to go why are you going td04 if these turbo's are so good you won't need a replacement...hybrids are just like anything you get what you pay for. They only shit themselves because people over run them I'm not saying hybrids are the best choice but the fact is blitz designed one especially for the 4EFTE when they could of made a td04 hybrid which therfore suggested to me a hybrid was the better way to go but your right on the cash side of things the TD04 is the cheaper way nowadays to get a very good power figure but if anybody knows anything about tuning it's how fast it gets to that power and how it handle's that power, not having a go at anyone just expressing my opinion so don't take anything to heart :)

If I was you I would buy the top mounted weper kit new as you will get the lifetime warranty and find a cheap td04 and have it rebuilt you don't know how hard a second hand kit has been pushed always better to buy new I would say :)

Ct9 hybrids are old news now. There hasn't been a new Ct9 hybrid for years as everyone goes TD04 which is the cheaper, more efficient alternative... In fact people are making TD04 hybrids now. Both racetech and TD offer a custom billet td04... I'm sure in a few years there will be a new turbo that everyone focuses on when technology gets better.

Not saying it's "what I want", just saying that it's a positive. If you can save fuel and save money yet still retain loads of power then surely that's a good thing.

I just meant in general if people are more concerned about saving fuel a jap cars probably not so good of a choice but yes I see where you coming from it's definately harder to keep off boost on the motorway as the ct9 spools much quicker but I guess it's about the set up...

Ct9 hybrids are old news now. There hasn't been a new Ct9 hybrid for years as everyone goes TD04 which is the cheaper, more efficient alternative... In fact people are making TD04 hybrids now. Both racetech and TD offer a custom billet td04... I'm sure in a few years there will be a new turbo that everyone focuses on when technology gets better.

Yes I can see this happening most likely! I would like to see more ct12's always wanted somebody to build a 5EFTE with one of these :)

Because I'm power greedy and want to get the most out of it. I dont care about lag etc so worth swapping the TF for a potential extra 20bhp. If anything i enjoy lag

Fair do's lad with the ewg and ebc you'll be going good won't be too laggy as I say if people want the most out of that td04 surely buy some LSD first..slightest bit of damp and it's useless power!

the td04 turbo is just friggin awesome. obviously theres a little bit more lag but once you get used to it and how to drive it without letting it drop off the boost u will never go back.

the setup you have now is great for the street ad probably faster in a lot of situations around the streets, but the td04 has far more punch

Am having this dilemma at the min also if to go tdo4 or not I guess it depends what you're doing with the car I dont track my starlet so more then often smoke chavs in saxos lol so a tdo4 would be too laggy for me however my ct9 doesn't pull to redline I be interested to know anyone who runs a ct9 hybrid or ct12 or ct20 and see how they spool and drive but I would also add the wepr billet td04 kit looks amazing

I don't know where everyone has got the impression that the TD04 is laggy? They hit full boost by 3.5k and pull to 7.5 lol. If you can't keep it in that range you have problems haha!

This exactly. :)

Am having this dilemma at the min also if to go tdo4 or not I guess it depends what you're doing with the car I dont track my starlet so more then often smoke chavs in saxos lol so a tdo4 would be too laggy for me however my ct9 doesn't pull to redline I be interested to know anyone who runs a ct9 hybrid or ct12 or ct20 and see how they spool and drive but I would also add the wepr billet td04 kit looks amazing

Aaddzz is right the td04 isn't even that laggy set up right, your probably running an actuator so your boost is tailing off higher up the revs...? Ideally external wastegate will be the way to go to hold the boost that much better but cash wise by the time you buy a hybrid set up it's some what cheaper going td04, wouldn't underestimate those saxo's some of them are surprising fast with no lagg all about the timing with these turbo's as above make sure your in the right gear haha :)