Just thought id put up a bit of a thread up on my latest car if anyone's interested 8)

I bought the car in March and am slowly working my way round it, although not much needs doing just adding a few changes here and there.

Its a 1996 Evo 4 GSR, well technically the shell and interior are Evo 4 but not much else is!

Internal Engine Specs and details:

Evo 8 FQ MR Engine

Skunk 2 Camshafts
Brian Crower I Beam steel rods
CP Forged pistons
Mitsubishi Oil pump
Mitsubishi Water pump
Mitsubishi Belts and pulleys
Mitsubishi Gaskets and seals
Up rated Lifters
ARP Head studs
ARP Mains
ACL Race bearings
MG Auto spec Ported and polished cylinder head and up rated valve springs
New valves
Lightened, lapped and polished crank by John Wilcox RC
Evo 4 Sump
NGK BPR8ES Spark plugs
Millers 10w/40 FS Competition Oil

Engine externals:

Hel Performance turbo oil line feed and filter – (Head feed blanked)
Hel Performance Large 19 Row FM oil cooler (Located LHS Air duct) S/S Braided hoses and Aeroquip fittings
Powder coated blue rocker cover with 2 x -10 breather outlets by Neverneverman
Neverneverman oil breather and catch tank system with Powder coated tank and aeroquip hose and fittings
Blue silicone hoses throughout for coolant and turbo pipe work

Turbo and exhaust:

Evo 9 80 Series Turbo
Ported Evo8 MR OEM exhaust manifold and heat wrapped
Ported turbo elbow
Full Magnex turbo back 3” exhaust system with 5” tail pipe and de-cat pipe

Fuel and Air:

Walbro 255L fuel pump
Hard wired fuel pump
Large powder coated hard pipe turbo intake and large cone air filter
750 CC RC Fuel Injectors
Tial Anodised blue BOV Welded into Intercooler pipe work
Large front mounted intercooler and hard pipe work throughout

Transmission / Drive train:

Exedy up rated Evo 9 Clutch kit
Evo 9 Flywheel
Evo 4 Driveshafts
Evo 6 gearbox
Evo 6 Transfer Box
Evo 8 MR Rear AYC Diff

Management and Electronics:

Evo 7 ECU – Remapped by MG AUTOS with Ecuflash
Gizzmo boost controller
STACK Boost gauge
Battery relocated to boot
Pioneer CD/FM/AM/AUX/IPOD Stereo

Suspension, Wheels, Tyres and Brakes:

Tein adjustable coilovers
Full geometry set up by MG AUTOS
Speedline 17” white alloy wheels
Yokohama Prada spec 2 tyres 215/40/R17 Approx 6mm tread all round
Evo 9 BREMBO front and rear brakes
Performance Friction front and rear brake pads
Hel performance S/S braided calliper brake lines

Interior/Exterior:

Suede Sparco steering wheel and Lifeline motorsport snap off adaptor
Fully under sealed for protection in the UK.
Tinted rear windows and rear screen
Fire extinguisher

I normally run it at 1.4bar but 2.0bar is just a touch of a button away should the need arise 8)

The day after I picked it up:
Evo1_zps569e6658.jpg
Evo2_zps5c53cbfb.jpg
EvoInt_zps4a4da412.jpg
Engine3_zps44de3899.jpg

About a month after buying I booked in for a trackday at Blyton Park, however on a noise test a couple of weeks prior to the trackday I discovered it was kicking out 110db so managed to get booked in at MG Autos for some noise reduction and got it down to 98db. The car performed very well on track apart from the tyres were useless in the wet during the morning but it sooned dried and all was going well until I warped the front discs! :D

12_zps2fe252b2.jpg

I went for Godspeed grooved discs allround with kevlar pads, I've literally just finished bedding these in!
GodspeedFitted_zps3489f8c4.jpg
and underneath with the reworked exhaust system
Under2_zps045b6d8d.jpg

I went to Thoresby Classic Car show with a mate of the Celica Club and managed to win runner up in best 1990's catergory
IMG_0096_zps7b524232.jpg
IMG_0101_zps7906cb8e.jpg

I also attended Parson Drove show, again with the Celica lot, I managed to sneak in the middle
IMG_0127_zpsa0526b99.jpg
IMG_0136_zpsfdd76ec2.jpg

There's a knocking on the back end which I need to sort, not quite sure what's causing it yet though.

Got a new set of tyres to go on and then a 45,000mile service is going to be done in the next few weeks along with the underside being freshly undersealed.

Next mods would probably be a strut brace and a spare set of wheels for track use. I might look at some carbon bits aswell but unsure on that yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate,around 350bhp @1.4bar and 396bhp/390lbft @ 1.94bar.

Couple of reason's for the 80 series:

1. Its a straight fit

2. It flows enough to make just over 400bhp

3. Its very fast spooling, car is for fast road use and when I take it to track days im normally on tighter more technical circuits so response is key.

4. It was already fitted when I got the car :thumbsup:

Next turbo upgrade (if I decide to go for more power) would probably be an S205 but tbh most of the Evo guys say 400/400 is ideal for road use.

Small update:

Got a set of Toyo T1R's fitted the other week to replace the Yokohama's,still need to scrub them in a bit more as a little bit slidey when 2bar of boost hits them laugh.png

Car is off to MG Auto's tomorrow for 45,000mile service, underseal refresh and should have the banging on the back end sorted. Had a look whilst putting the new tyres on and pretty certain the moustache bar bushes have had it.

Also I've been on the look out for some spare wheels for track use and after missing out on a few sets I managed to bag a bargain!

A set of 5 standard Evo 5 rims for £50 cool.png Tyres are useless but probably going to go for some R888's or similar on these, just need to decide on a colour, was thinking Kawasaki green or Cadbury purple.

E5wheels_zps63f30b95.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Car should be going in for MOT next Saturday all being well.

Renewed insurance but not with Greenlight, Pace Ward can do an identical policy with an extra 1000 mile limit for £200 less so gone with them this time.

Boring stuff out the way! Now onto a new mod!
I sent a replacement arm rest lid of to a chap on the Celica Club to be flocked as my old one had snapped the hinge and the replacement was abit grubby so thought "flock it" lol!

Original lid:

Lidold_zps7d6bb8d4.jpg

Lidold2_zpsfbfe58be.jpg

After Ant had worked his magic on the other lid:

Lidflock_zps74902795.jpg

And all fitted (10/10 to Mitsubishi for the hinge design on these,a right git to get to the small screws on the lid support arm!)

Lidflock4_zpscb1efd35.jpg

Lidflock2_zps5c5990a8.jpg

Lidflock3_zps38b0da4f.jpg

I went for the caviar flock and the colour match to the seats is almost exact, very pleased with it.

• 6 months later...

bay looks wel mate :) :)

hows the running cost of her ???

Not too bad really but then I don't use it daily. I usually see around 18mpg on mixed driving, if I give it the full beans it goes into single figures lol

Trackday worked out at around 4mpg.

Oil change every few months and AYC fluid 6-12 months, it would cost a fortune to use it every day.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A few pics from todays Thoresby show
IMG_0577_zpsw1o0vue1.jpg
IMG_0578_zpsldiyvpef.jpg
IMG_0580_zpstfnwanyg.jpg

I've also been in touch with MG Autos about the boost dropping off and they've recommended an uprated actuator, run the 3 port boost solenoid off the ecu rather than the ebc and a remap, should hopefully break over the 400bhp barrier with that, 420 has been suggested

Might need some more numbers on this then!

IMG_0582_zpstod3h1au.jpg

It's normal for the boost to drop off with the stock turbo from what I've read and heard from my tuner, mine peaks at just under 2 bar then drops the same as yours, they're just not big enough to chuck out the amount of air needed higher up the rev range.

That power must be fun in a 4 though! Very tidy too.

Edited by WallaceGlanza