Why are glanza/ starlet owners so stuck up

I currently own both. My daily drive is an EK9 with the bone stock b16b lump and my track whip is a race-prepped Starlet GT Turbo (that also used to be my daily driver). I am also building a Starlet Glanza at the moment to share daily driving duties with the EK9.

Here is just a few of my observations in owning and driving both in different scenarios.

• Contrary to a popular notion, the jewel in Honda's crown isn't really the engine in my opinion – its the chassis and suspension, and this is especially true in the typeR. I used to think that this was some fan boy delusion but having driven both the EK9 on track and race my Starlet, it's clear that the TypeR's balance is just on a league of its own. Don't get me wrong – you can get the Starlet's suspension to perform but for the same effort/resources tuning the civic's suspension is just leagues beyond what you can tune out of the Starlet. Let me put it this way – I am faster on the limit with the Starlet, but I am more confident and relaxed on the limit in the Civic. The chassis is just sublime.
  • Starlets are king of power to weight - which makes you forgive all the other shortcomings of the platform (like suspension). Because we can get the car to be super light, we are easier on the brakes, tires, accelerate off the line faster, brake later.
  • Starlets are easier to tune **without having to open the engine** than the B series engine. You get more gains from turning up boost than any combination of header/exaust/drop-in upgrades for the honda engines.
  • I have never any of the little annoying issues I had with the 4EFTE engine in the B series. Maybe it's just my own experience, but when I had my starlet as a daily driver I had all sorts of small annoying problems ranging from erratic idling to boost leaks to misfires etc. I've never had anything like this with the B series. I get in the car it starts. No idling problems. No misfires. Just get in turn the key and it goes.
  • There is nothing more satisfying than giving stroked 2 litre Hondas a run for their money with your little 1.3 litre engine.
  • There is also nothing like the frenzy of driving in VTEC.
Edited by mindless
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you messaged a few people on here you might of got a no thankyou, if you have messaged a person on any of the Facebook pages its likely you would get abuse as there are a lot of cocks on there and tbh a lot of twats are buying glanzas these days

Guy on Facebook?

Oh Yea and my old glanza rod went through the block a week after I.sold it :(

Kid put a screenshot of a message to someone with a red ep3 saying 'why would i want a civic when my glanza eats them for fun' or something along the lines of being able to drive in a straight line

I currently own both. My daily drive is an EK9 with the bone stock b16b lump and my track whip is a race-prepped Starlet GT Turbo (that also used to be my daily driver). I am also building a Starlet Glanza at the moment to share daily driving duties with the EK9.

Here is just a few of my observations in owning and driving both in different scenarios.

• Contrary to a popular notion, the jewel in Honda's crown isn't really the engine in my opinion – its the chassis and suspension, and this is especially true in the typeR. I used to think that this was some fan boy delusion but having drive both the EK9 on track and race my Starlet, it's clear that the TypeR's balance is just on a league of its own. Don't get me wrong – you can get the Starlet's suspension to perform but for the same effort/resources tuning the civic's suspension is just leagues beyond what you can tune out of the Starlet. Let me put it this way – I am faster on the limit with the Starlet, but I am more confident and relaxed on the limit in the Civic. The chassis is just sublime.

Starlets are king of power to weight - which makes you forgive all the other shortcomings of the platform (like suspension). Because we can get the car to be super light, we are easier on the brakes, tires, accelerate off the line faster, brake later.

Starlets are easier to tune **without having to open the engine** than the B series engine. You get more gains from turning up boost than any combination of header/exaust/drop-in upgrades for the honda engines.

I have never any of the little annoying issues I had with the 4EFTE engine in the B series. Maybe it's just my own experience, but when I had my starlet as a daily driver I had all sorts of small annoying problems ranging from erratic idling to boost leaks to misfires etc. I've never had anything like this with the B series. I get in the car it starts. No idling problems. No misfires. Just get in turn the key and it goes.

There is nothing more satisfying than giving stroked 2 litre Hondas a run for their money with your little 1.3 litre engine.

There is also nothing like the frenzy of driving in VTEC.

Parts of this are why I will be going back to Honda.

• Contrary to a popular notion, the jewel in Honda's crown isn't really the engine in my opinion – its the chassis and suspension, and this is especially true in the typeR. I used to think that this was some fan boy delusion but having drive both the EK9 on track and race my Starlet, it's clear that the TypeR's balance is just on a league of its own. Don't get me wrong – you can get the Starlet's suspension to perform but for the same effort/resources tuning the civic's suspension is just leagues beyond what you can tune out of the Starlet. Let me put it this way – I am faster on the limit with the Starlet, but I am more confident and relaxed on the limit in the Civic. The chassis is just sublime.
  • Starlets are king of power to weight - which makes you forgive all the other shortcomings of the platform (like suspension). Because we can get the car to be super light, we are easier on the brakes, tires, accelerate off the line faster, brake later.
  • Starlets are easier to tune **without having to open the engine** than the B series engine. You get more gains from turning up boost than any combination of header/exaust/drop-in upgrades for the honda engines.
  • I have never any of the little annoying issues I had with the 4EFTE engine in the B series. Maybe it's just my own experience, but when I had my starlet as a daily driver I had all sorts of small annoying problems ranging from erratic idling to boost leaks to misfires etc. I've never had anything like this with the B series. I get in the car it starts. No idling problems. No misfires. Just get in turn the key and it goes.
  • There is nothing more satisfying than giving stroked 2 litre Hondas a run for their money with your little 1.3 litre engine.
  • There is also nothing like the frenzy of driving in VTEC.

Very nice little write up dude! my GT is my daily but Ive never had any weird idle issues or misfires.. its usually something big that goes when it goes wrong haha

The amount of people on Facebook who have gone from starlet newbies to professional starlet tuner/builders after a day of owning a starlet is amazing, they all start with the toyosports question then once shot down they know it all

Haha yeah dont be expecting reliable prices or advice on facebook....

I love all jap cars :D we're all a friendly bunch, plus we all attend shows so we aren't keyboard warriors (much) :p

Edited by redz11

Regarding the original post. Its just a hatret people have towards honda's its not just starlet owners. I bet the VW boys would give you just as much shit.

Imo its jealousy, you cant knock hondas other than for there fairly cheaply put together interiors and use of materials and rust on the older ones.

Mechanically they are proven to be the most reliable cars built (followed by toyota)

They can build great chassis and have good suspension setups.

They are like lego, parts chop and change from one model to another like no other car.

The engines are on top of power/liter in n/a form, they can hold boost on a high comp n/a engine that would put most boosted engines to shame and they can do it reliably.

All in all you have a great car.

But its because of this thats puts people off, the the fact everyone has one and thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread gives us a reason to dislike them.

And..

Everyone Fits stupid buddy club bean cans to them that sound like a wasp in a can through 10 megaphones (why you would want a car to sound like that i dont know) then have all the fanboys with the mugen stuff thats fugly as hell and hugely overpriced ranting about it even though its not the best on the market.

Its just that you were looking in this area you clocked there to be a disliking toward the honda owner but its more of a general car owner thing than just us :p

If it's same one I'm sure he's on here aswell loads of them on there, I've had people ask me questions via pm then go tell some one who originally asked the question the answer like they knew lol

the problem is people act differently on there compared to here, if you Dont have something nice to say or be helpful then Dont comment as most people on there try and act big headed