Where the Heck, have you been!?

Well, after nearly 12 hours of downtime and 10000 people getting in touch with me saying they were bored at work and had nothing to do, I guess I better explain what the hell went on and how it wasnt my fault haha!

UKSO, went offline between 11:30pm last night and until about 45mins ago!

Last night a break, in a major fibre line between Dublin & England failed or got damaged. (UKSO is hosted on a datacentre based in Ireland). While another backup fibre line was down for maintenance. Typical!

So during the night the firm that looks after those underwater lines (Cogent), started preparing a ship called 'Wave Sentinel' to go out with divers to go and repair/fix the fibre line.

View the ship here:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/232616000

Our hosting company kept us up to date on progress the entire time and its now fixed! Thank God!

Interesting though, as excuses go, got to admit that's a good one!

Anyways. We will be planning a redundancy now to another server, to stop this happening in the future!

Kind Regards!

Socks

I bet those divers get paid a fortune, sounds fun as well!

Glad it's back online so fast, brought back memories of the epic downtime that was uk starlet club... shudder...

More than likely no divers involved.

They use a sea bed grapple to hook the cable then haul it onto the boat where it's repiard ( spliced ) in a clean room be some geeks on board the boat

I bet those divers get paid a fortune, sounds fun as well!

Glad it's back online so fast, brought back memories of the epic downtime that was uk starlet club... shudder...

they do have a few mates that are ex army divers do that kind of work and they are on serious money