the diaphram in either a tial or a cheapy is still a silcone style material thing and heat will not help how it wears.

my external sits right down bottom of car and is cooled down there and heats not an issue,infact I can grab mine after a normal 1hour drive and its just warm. this will help undoubtedly the life of the wastegate.thats why I dont like the wastegates that sit ontop of the mani and only a few inches of off it.

The material should last the distance it's designed to with stand the heat id be more inclined to think it's prob made thiner. That's normaly the case in cheaper electronics the overall working and matterials are the same but they just use thiner wires less metal and what not to keep costs down.

It's the age old debate people will always pay over the odds for brand names and generally get a higher quality part. And the other half will buy cheaper parts some will have no issues with them and then claim there perfect and those that have issues will end up having to buy twice.

Am all for a bargain but I have to put a value on my time. It baffles be when people buy cheap parts and spent ages modding them and getting them to work when there's tryed and tested things sitting ready. People spend 2-3 days with research and fitting stuff and only save like 40quid

""""""" Am all for a bargain but I have to put a value on my time. It baffles be when people buy cheap parts and spent ages modding them and getting them to work when there's tryed and tested things sitting ready. People spend 2-3 days with research and fitting stuff and only save like 40quid """"""

thats the whole point in tuning !!!! who wants to buy just of the shelf and be done ???? not me i think there is more guys like me that wants to really be hands on and tune / modify and get a REAL understanding how it al works :) :) :)

""""""" Am all for a bargain but I have to put a value on my time. It baffles be when people buy cheap parts and spent ages modding them and getting them to work when there's tryed and tested things sitting ready. People spend 2-3 days with research and fitting stuff and only save like 40quid """"""

thats the whole point in tuning !!!! who wants to buy just of the shelf and be done ???? not me i think there is more guys like me that wants to really be hands on and tune / modify and get a REAL understanding how it al works :) :) :)

well lets take socks for example then. hes done almost no work to his car himself race-tech has carried most of it out. by your definition hes not tuned his car?

tuning a car is simple its changing the car to make it more suited to you. i buy the best i can for my car i avoid cheap parts and dont dick around with cheap parts how does that stop me having a real understanding of how things work?

i look, research and then make an informed purchase based on the information.

ive had 7 starlets over the years and tryed most set ups to find what works turbo wise ive had ct9s, ct9 hybrid, td04s,td05s and now onto my hybrid gt28 along with trying manifolds and parts from zisco,wepr,race-tech toysports and some total random ones. ive try countless different types of coilovers/brakes/ecus/ and almost every part i can think of on a starlet ive had atleast 2-3 different things to compare it to and if theres anything not on the market ive done it myself with the likes of my electric power steering converstion or front rear brake bais split. and daft things like fuse box tucks and tablet install. this is how i can "tune" the perfect car for myself as ive hands on seen the quality and tested them.

i appercaite and enjoy the work you do on your car and its nice to see someone trying things different but the statement that thats how you get a real understanding of how things work is ridicoulous. i dont pretend to be a genuis with cars at the end of the day am pretty much a cleaning supervisor but most the "hands on" mechaincs i know ask me if they want to know what route to take with the tuning because they dont have the experiance. you can spent as long as you want moding a cheap part to fit but that doesnt mean you understand it any better than someone that bought a more expensive one off a shelf. the difference for me is while people are trying to get the cheap stuff to work am out learning about how it actualy performs on the roads not a work bench.

Yikes, I think you touched a nerve, Colin!!

Those of you who run a EWG, how about we make a quick list?

Wastegate Type, Length of use, Any problems?

Eg. Tial, 2 Years, None

even mechanics arent always all that (rarely all that)

My mechanic can map HKS/link/motec/omex/emerald/EMS/AEM/etc..... but i know some that wouldnt pass a GCSE

Phil

Lol lol lol, yeah those GCSE are really hard..... haha, yeah most mechanics are retarded and barely capable of working a ratchet..... :/

Do you much work to your car Phil or just leave it all to mechanics ? :p

Using a ebay EWG myself if im honest, just an unbranded one not a fake tial or that. Its only running low boost 0.6bar spring pressure. Im not asking much of it, i think when you start pushing them to a bar and beyond then shit might start getting messy.

Been fitted for 18 months, car isnt obviously ran daily, but had it for fault checking runs etc and holds boost great. Although i cant give a proper verdict yet.

come on guys we are all friends here.haha

I did really shite at school and got f's in most stuff and lucky if I got a d or an e and I know a fook lot more than the general public,I regularly do car work and maintenance/fault finding on cars and done work for people on here aswell...also often told I am in the wrong game etc etc. im no genuis by any means but can do cars.

I ran an eBay one on my first td04 setup, would stick open and sound like a wet fart at idle lol, only way to get it to close was struggle to get into boost again to give it a nudge lol.

I've now been running a Turbosmart for over a year and it's been perfect, would recommend to anyone :)

Lol lol lol, yeah those GCSE are really hard..... haha, yeah most mechanics are retarded and barely capable of working a ratchet..... :/

Do you much work to your car Phil or just leave it all to mechanics ? :p

Sorry didn't intend to offend, or even bait anyone by that comment.

To answer you, GCSEs aren't easy or hard themselves but some people do find them difficult. purely dependant on the persons with the pen.

And no I don't let your average mechanic near my build :)

Regarding me and my build..

I like to big up the guys who help me a lot with my build and play down my involvement altogether. :) see my build thread on tgtt for details.

I'll say nothing more as this was not intended as a jab at anyone personally!

Phil

Edited by Phil

I've used (for two years now) a used TiAL F38 that came with a second-hand Zisco CT9 mani kit that I got and had no problems with it whatsoever. It does however rattle a little bit, apparently the piston is a little loose, but it still seems to hold boost fine.

Might actually try the lapping when I get the car back just to be sure, cheers for the vid Mikey!