Okay. So I got my white Starlet…Sportif a couple weeks ago for £350. Think it was on 127,000 miles ish. I’m currently a learner driver, so it’s staying slow for now, since I bumble around at sub 55mph most of the time, because scary! However, I would like it too look a bit meaner than it currently does, even if it doesn’t sound mean! I’m new to this, so excuse my lack of actual knowledge about cars…

This is the only pic I took before I did anything to it. Don't have any better shots of the plastic strips or the interior, but I'm sure you lot know what a standard one looks like haha!

IMG_8824_zpsin5yqdsm.jpg

So far I’ve only done little things…but I have big (purple) plans for it one day.

First thing that needed doing was to rip the plastic strips off the sides. Was one of those things I wish I’d not started, but I persevered and now it looks much better. My fingers aren’t best pleased, but nevermind. Took probably…3 or 4 hours per side, and there’s still a TINY bit of gloop that refuses to come off, but I’m ignoring it for now since my nails are now non existent so I can’t claw it off anyways.

Progress pic of taking the plastic strips off:

IMG_8898_zpsdufaua6r.jpg

Still need to get the Sportif stickers off, which…I’m kind of struggling with since they’re invincible.

It had a radio/CD player in it when I got it, but the…faceplate(?) was missing, so that came out and I (by I, I mean someone who has a clue), replaced it and also wired in some speakers in the parcel shelf…because choons.

IMG_8856_zpsfnzo8s4w.jpg

Tiny things, but there was a blank...ing…plate…which I replaced with a...useful storage area (look at my awesome technical language and correct wording). So that’s much better, and I put cup holders in, since that’s clearly a priority.

IMG_9103_zpsf8gbw9kx.jpg

(Yes those are pink fluffly slippers. They're all I can drive in...what of it?!)

Didn’t have any mats in it, and the carpets were mint, so I got (was given) some Toyota mats, which look very nice.

Oh okay and I cleaned it, which was an all day job since it decided to rain multiple times at annoying stages throughout the process. But I got there in the end and it’s all shiny and pretty now. Noticed some dents and some dodgy paintwork in the process though, which is a shame, but overall the car is very, very clean for its age – especially the interior. I actually really like cleaning cars, so I tried to do it properly, but again, as with everything else, I’m kinda a noob, so I missed a couple steps, but the most important thing is when it rains, it beads, and that’s cool so…job done!

d1133250-6956-4bb0-96d3-b8ac3385513f_zps

Raining before I'd taken the wax off (you can still see the Sportif sticker as well..the other side is just the clear part of the sticker, but it's still all green on this side):

IMG_8975_zpsqr2d69dk.jpg

All done:

IMG_9014_zps3kcwwvh6.jpg

And finally I’ve changed some interior pieces. It was half dark grey and half light grey and I’m in the middle of making it all dark grey. I did the door…sill trim…bits, and the glovebox and the bit under the steering wheel. I can’t do the doorcards just yet because I need to convert it to electric windows, and I also want to reupholster the material panel, so I’ll do all of that in one go at some point. But, I did do the rear bits...with the pockets it. Had it all off and on a few times to figure out why the heck it wasn’t clipping in place, but I got there in the end, and it looks good, so I’m happy.

IMG_9105_zpskyno9t8h.jpg

IMG_9106_zpstkhnkk6x.jpg

IMG_9096_zpstklspcoh.jpg

IMG_9099_zpspyytrlqu.jpg

As for what I want to do…as a noob, it’s hard to know what can be done I guess, but I have a few ideas:

Definitely needs alloys, and I definitely want a spoiler. Would like to change the front end to look a lot meaner – and ideally, want a purple design on the bonnet (the majority of the car will stay white though). Wanting to sort the wing mirrors and door handles out so they’re either white to match the car, or maybe errr, plasti dipped (that’s a thing right?) in either carbon fibre, or some kind of purple, or purple carbon fibre!

Inside, needs new seats kind of urgently, because I’m not that keen on them. I’ve seen an interior from a Starlet…maybe a Glanza, not sure, which is kind of just grey and black, so would maybe put that in the back, and then Recaro’s, or something halfway decent like that, in the front. Need to finish making the interior bits all the dark grey, and would like to recolour the center console surround to purple, however the best way of doing that is. Maybe get a purple steering wheel…and gear knob. I don’t want to go overboard with the purple, but some little things would be nice.

Oh and I think I’d like to sticker bomb the pillars and sun visors. And change the dials so they’re purple with white lights. If that’s even possible.

Overall theme is going to be based around the game Borderlands, but the main colour will be purple.

Anyways, it all makes sense in my head, and I happen to know someone who knows a lot about Starlets, so he can help ;)

Sorry if this is boring, like I said, I'm new to this...and by this I mean cars and posting about them on forums where people know wayy more than me. There's a few more pics in my Photobucket album if anyone's bothered, nothing too exciting, mostly pics I posted in the Photography section - http://s172.photobucket.com/user/willowstarlet/library/

Thanks for reading,

Willow
x

Edited by Willow
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very good first write up and always good to see people having a go themselves. Some good changes you've made already.

Plans sound good also.

Look forward to seeing more progress on this!

Very good first write up and always good to see people having a go themselves. Some good changes you've made already.

Plans sound good also.

Look forward to seeing more progress on this!

Thought so:) can't wait to see updates:)

Thanks. Looking forward to having things to update you with :D My birthday is next week so maybe I'll spend some money on it :D

Sounds good! Hairdryer not working on the sportif stickers on the sides?

Actually, not sure - I had the hairdryer out for the gloop that the plastic strips left behind, but can't remember if I tried it on the stickers. Will have another go this weekend though!

Thanks everyone :)

I'm thinking I'll try and do the sticker bombing next - if the pillars aren't too difficult to get off. I should probably have a plan, but I don't, so we'll just see how it goes haha :)

Welcome aboard!! Great too see someone having a go them selves! Love the driving slippers!! Good luck passing your test!! :) Gt seats are a great upgrade! So comfy!!

Pillars just pop off its so easy to get them off

I was hoping they would :)

Welcome aboard!! Great too see someone having a go them selves! Love the driving slippers!! Good luck passing your test!! :) Gt seats are a great upgrade! So comfy!!

Thanks. Yeah I have a go - after I've been told specifically what I'm supposed to be doing haha...then I complain that I can't do it, then I eventually get there XD

Well I'm making a huge mess, but I'm sanding down the pillars so that the wrap stuff I bought to do the sticker bombing will go on better. Hopefully.

IMG_9166_zpsm7zh1qkh.jpg

Halfway there, ish:

IMG_9167_zpslczuzyrd.jpg

Only one injury so far, which isn't bad for me. Papercuts suck :(

I've ordered like...a sheet of vinyl that's got a sticker bomb pattern on it, but then I ordered a bunch of individual Borderlands stickers, which hopefully will look okay on the top of the vinyl wrap...and then some clear vinyl stuff to go over that so the stickers don't peel off. I think I've over complicated it. If there's enough of the wrap left over, I'll probably do the other pillars.

Oh, and I ordered some purple spray which will hopefully work on the center console surround bit. :D

Good stuff hope to see the finished product soon!

Injuries are all part of working on cars unfortunately Haha!

Hmm, my poor hands don't know what's hit them haha.

So anyways. I put new seats in. And when I say I, I of course mean, I asked other people to help XD Though, I did put a new rear view mirror in myself #skillz

Taking them out:

IMG_9173_zpsrshlgupl.jpg

Fitting them:

FullSizeRender_zpslzkxqis6.jpg

aaand done:

IMG_9179_zpsc1330nvo.jpg

Just need to put the back seats in, and get the door cards sorted, then the interior should all match. Any light grey that's left is going to be sticker bombed, but I think it's just pillars left - and the roof lining, which I don't like...but don't think I can change, so I'll deal with it :)

Hmm, my poor hands don't know what's hit them haha.

So anyways. I put new seats in. And when I say I, I of course mean, I asked other people to help XD Though, I did put a new rear view mirror in myself #skillz

Taking them out:

IMG_9173_zpsrshlgupl.jpg

Fitting them:

FullSizeRender_zpslzkxqis6.jpg

aaand done:

IMG_9179_zpsc1330nvo.jpg

Just need to put the back seats in, and get the door cards sorted, then the interior should all match. Any light grey that's left is going to be sticker bombed, but I think it's just pillars left - and the roof lining, which I don't like...but don't think I can change, so I'll deal with it :)

I have these seat's so much better than the granny ones that comes with car. Keep the updates coming!:)

how the hell do u get the "gloopy crap" off the doors where the plastic strips were on the outside of the car???? i have some propper old granny ones and i want them off lol.i got as far as taking them off but now cant get the glue and sponge stuff off lmao :cray:

Edited by chris69

how the hell do u get the "gloopy crap" off the doors where the plastic strips were on the outside of the car???? i have some propper old granny ones and i want them off lol.i got as far as taking them off but now cant get the glue and sponge stuff off lmao :cray:

I heated the spongey foam stuff up with a hair dryer and scraped it off with a de-icer scraper thingy..carefully, keeping it like..parallel to the car. If that makes sense. Then you're left with a layer of gloop...that was a nightmare. I sprayed WD-40 over it and then let it soak in for a while, then I scraped it off either with the scraper again or with my nails for the more fiddly bits. I think I just polished it after that.

3 hours per side unfortunately. SInce I didn't do it all in one go, some of it was left exposed to weather for about a week, and it was easier to do then, than immediately after I took the plastic off. So, maybe leave it a few days haha.