Leaving a ratchet and socket in the engine bay and having them drop out the bottom of it and almost destroy the windshield of the car behind me... at 60mph. Lucky it missed :L
Also knew someone who took their car to the mechanic around 40 miles away cause he's their go to, with a funny noise. Turned out the wheel's weren't on right and he drove 40miles of motorway with the wheels not on right. Hilarious now, since no one died and all.. haha

Doing the engine conversion on my old starlet I first forgot to tighten the fuel rail bolt and ended up with a fuel fountain.

Same day different problem . car finished ready for test drive I'm gutted its somehow hitting fuel cut yet was running 1.2 bar on a hybrid before. Hours of stress and I'd forgotten a single wire on the fuel cut defender.

Also done an oil change once And couldnt find my oil filter cup anywhere and the filter was tight. I thought I'm going to have to go the old ha!!er a screwdriver through it route. Was thinking the middle of this filter is hard as I couldn't get through . well its because I was hammering the mliving daylights out of the threads on the filter housing. Much fun was had that day .

Did another good one yesterday. Was taking the sump off yet another knackered engine in the Glanza. All the bolts were out so off I go to pry it off. They're usually right to come off and the sandwich plate sort of holds them up. Not this time. One wiggle and it smacked me square in the face. And it was oily. Not attractive and it actually hurt quite a bit hahaha

I took a sump off an engine I thought was empty before haha! Spent the rest of the day cleaning my mates garage out! Ended up re levelling his floor and fitted some left over safety floor from a big job I done. Im his boss, so he couldn't moan too much but it worked out well for him haha!

Hahaha this is a cool post, I think my most common fault is forgeting to put the oil cap back on and driving fairly flat out for about 5 or 6 miles. I'm using common in that sentence because it may of happened again

Worst one I did when working at Peugeot is when on ramp was lifting the car and was not correctly on and it fell off on to my mentors tool box. But I was 16 lol

Resent things o done I done is the old where my tool in my hand trick. Looking for parts when you fort you removed but are still on the car.

i done so much over the years of being a mechanic it amazing how little distractions can make us do silly mistakes

Good one i did a while bacn was changing a ball joint and track rod on a 306. Had the corner jacked up we were working on did thr balljoint fine but when it came to get it all back together we couldnt get the droplink anywhere near where it needed to be because with the weight on the other wheel it was working against us. Took us forever to realise haha

I dropped the engine out a saab once, was changing a dual mass and clutch kit at work, we never had the proper engine support that holds the engine from the top, anyway the engine was tilted down and the OS mount on them isnt bonded or fuck all its just a metal rectangle which slides into a rubber mount, so yeah it slid out and the engine was hanging about 6ft in the air by the engine loom, AC pipes and fuel pipes!! Only thing that broke was a plastic coolant pipe haha, was lucky with that one..

Forgot to bolt in the bottom end of my E36 right hand rear damper when I swapped over to Weitecs just because I said hi to a neighbour. Dropped the car, took it for a lap of the block and the thing drove HORRENDOUSLY. Only cottoned on to what caused it when I realised it was dragging on the floor... Fml

some good ones here lol, was doing a type b service on a customers car finished the job was in a bit of a rush as i was trying to make up for my fuck up the week before lol went and jumped in threw it in reverse (without pumping the brakes) the fucker launched and smacked into the car another tech was working on behind me almost shoving it off the lift can laugh now was not funny at the time though luckily no one was hurt or not much damage was done.

and my fuck up the week before was doing a gearbox service was getting pissed off with the service advisors as they as usual were rushing us so i let rip on one of them and then the parts manager decided to pipe in with his shite so pissed me off i slammed the bonnet forgetting to put fresh ATF in and then kicked it out still pissed and not clicking what i did plus i never even put the fill plug back in was still sitting on the scuttle panel thankfully lol customer took it away and returned not happy and rightfully so lol.

I've done quite a few but the most obvious one I can think of is I once wanted to take the boot spoiler off a Citroen AX GT in a scrappy. I unbolted the thing not realising that the bolts also hold the boot on, and the whole lot came crashing down on my head

I had one the other day, changed the pads and discs on the gt and the inside pad on one of fronts wouldn't sit properly, took the other side back apart to compare, turns out the disc wasn't flat against the hub, mates laughed at me for a few minutes for that aha