• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought balancing and sealing would be your biggest problem here, along with tensioning the chain correctly so it doesnt jump off and smash your shit at 7/8k rpm! A guard would be a must, take a look at clutch guards from high power drag cars and things and put a steel plate between you and people outside the car, and the whole chain sprockett assembly. Tbh, a belt would be a wayy better idea imo, factory and aftermarket chargers use them without problem and you can butcher alternators and crankshaft sprockets for parts, and use a belt tensioner from something like an ej20s air con pump which would be wayyy easier to fit to a custom jobbie like this!

Edited by Chops

I would have thought balancing and sealing would be your biggest problem here, along with tensioning the chain correctly so it doesnt jump off and smash your shit at 7/8k rpm! A guard would be a must, take a look at clutch guards from high power drag cars and things and put a steel plate between you and people outside the car, and the whole chain sprockett assembly. Tbh, a belt would be a wayy better idea imo, factory and aftermarket chargers use them without problem and you can butcher alternators and crankshaft sprockets for parts, and use a belt tensioner from something like an ej20s air con pump which would be wayyy easier to fit to a custom jobbie like this!

I was originally going to use pulleys but its very hard to find a big pulley for the step up in RPMs also i have read alot about belts always wearing out even on the high quality superchargers :)

Alright i need you guys to brainstorm!! :p So atm i have a front sprocket that is 4cm not 4mm -.- so 40mm. 180/40 = 4.5 7000 rpm x 4.5 = 31500 which i would say isnt enough to actually make any respectable boost. I am using the figure 180 because i was orginally using a sprocket over 200mm and that was way to big so 180 is probably the max sized sprocket i want to go. Sooo here is where i need you guys. Is there anything that you guys know of that uses a sprocket for a chain at about 20mm in diameter? 180/20 = 9 7000rpm x 9 = 63000, 63k rpm is not too bad :) so i would need something around this size. But i am unable to think of anything that uses a sprocket this small. Motorbike engine sprockets are around 40mm which is just to big :/

Only problem with those is they need to go onto the end of a shaft and they have no hole in the center :/

If you are willing to build your own you surely have the ability to make it fit mate, if not I'd stop right away and make something else

No offence bit this looks like a disaster waiting to happen

This

Not to put a downer on things but even if it was possible, you have a lot of precision calculations ahead of you and then the challenge of building it right afterwards

This

Not to put a downer on things but even if it was possible, you have a lot of precision calculations ahead of you and then the challenge of building it right afterwards

Just stick around for the ride guys :p if it works it works

I think if it was just a case of fucking the car up, then it's your car so whatever. But there's an actual, real risk that it could disintegrate at 50k rpm and turn itself into a claymore detonating under the bonnet. Don't hurt yourself or anyone else just to see if you can pull it off, it's not worth it man.

Superchargers and turbochargers are made by machines that manufacturer these items with great precision and very high tolerance for them to work perfect for thousands of miles and be very reliable and perform great for a long time too

I think if it was just a case of fucking the car up, then it's your car so whatever. But there's an actual, real risk that it could disintegrate at 50k rpm and turn itself into a claymore detonating under the bonnet. Don't hurt yourself or anyone else just to see if you can pull it off, it's not worth it man.

Since a few of you are freaking out about the chain and stuff. I have thought of a much safer way of doing it. No chain no sprockets.

The problem I have is how much boost are you wanting ? the car already has a turbo with plenty of boost at the ready ?

Its not about how much boost im wanting. It is purely a project to see if it is possible to make something from a old turbo that can actually make boost. Some people don't have the money to buy a whole turbo setup. Sure the ct9 would be the better option to go obviously but thats not the point :p

everything is possible and can be done it just how smart u are how its done try using a belt instead ?? ct9 are cack anyways keep it diy ha ha

That's the one colin ;) I am going to use a belt now, going to bolt another pulley onto the a/c pulley and run the shaft off that pulley, safer and probably work.better :) also much easier haha

For those of you who are interested i have some photos of where i was brainstorming! Emphasis on brainstorming...

image%203_zpskwsbsjym.jpg

So in this photo you can see a pulley the turbo and a screwdriver ;) So the pulley that you can see that is where it is going to bolt onto. The P/S pulley nut i have replaced with a longer nut so that i can put a bolt through the other pulley and tighten into the nut on the P/S pulley so they will spin as one. The screwdriver is just there to hold it in place because i had no bolts that size at home haha. The turbo will be mounted up in this area somewhere so that the shaft is perfectly in line with the pulley. I will run a small belt off the extra pulley and around the end of the shaft. (May end up using a tiny pulley on the shaft) image%202_zpssbalsdfa.jpg

Here is a better photo of the position of the turbo! (don't mind my makeshift piping out of toilet rolls ;) )

image%201_zpsfw06kv1b.jpg

I plan on running the piping in this direction as it will be easier than going down and along the front, Then i can get rid of that god awful pipe and filter :p So yeah as the project goes on more photos will come! :) More problems will obviously pop up in the near future so full steam ahead! Hope you guys enjoy :D