As above, this is just a little project im working on at work in my spare time, If you guys would be interested in seeing photos and a little thread about it let me know and ill start it right here :) im not looking for loads of power out of it just trying to see if i can get at least something out of it. Just an experiment, Let me know if you want to see more!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will get some pics tomorrow :) Will get my iphone back soon for some HD pics, Will be running it off a small vf21 turbo from a Subaru twin setup, I decided i am going to be running off a chain instead of a belt because belts wear out, Will be using a 52 tooth sprocket off a motorbike which is about 22mm scaling down to a 11 tooth 4mm derailleur cog. Giving about 4.3x more rpm at the impeller. Like i said not looking for loads of boost just seeing what it can do!

Hey guys just an update :) (sorry for crappy quality photos)

IMG_20150603_1610271_zpsjqatfegd.jpg

This is the turbo i will be running, the idea is to bolt a big sprocket like this one on to the power steering pulley

IMG_20150603_1610571_zpsg4fbgnhj.jpg

This is the one i was going to be using but i will have to use one smaller because this one is way to overkill anyway and it wont fit where it needs to go, If i managed to get it to fit i would then have no space at all to have the turbo anywhere, I will be looking for a smaller sprocket to run off of the power steering pulley, the chain will then run a 4mm derailleur pulley off of a bicycle (Hopefully it doesn't snap but i guess we will find out ;) ) which will give the step up in RPM's needed to get the impeller spinning fast enough. The 4mm derailleur will be attached to the shaft of the impeller out the back of the hot side of the turbo. The hot side compressor housing wont be being used but the bit the shaft goes through (sorry turbo noob) will be used to keep the shaft nice and centered perfectly. Having the step up from the bigger sprocket to the small 4mm sprocket will hopefully give the turbo the rpms at the impeller needed to create some boost. The main issues are going to be - Once i have the right sized sprocket that will fit finding a way to mount the turbo so that it wont budge! The turbo will be sitting snug over by the ABS unit, Then the next hard part will be finding some piping that will wrap around the motor up to the intake since its on the opposite side of the engine (will probably be the most expensive part). This is my plans anyway, feel free to leave any feedback and i will be posting photos along the way :) Once my iphone gets out the shop there will be more HD photos!

so your going using the turbo core and compressor side and also keeping the center shaft ??? then attach a sprocket where the exhaust proppeler is supposed to be ???

if so i woud suggest wrapping it al in a blancket because if that sprocket cracks/flys of at suck high rpm it will cut strait tru the car

Haven't thought to much into that stuff as of yet but if we get it too run and actually do anything then ill try and sort out any of the things above!

if it is you could always bend a steel plate around it so it could only go down

Yeah thats a good idea!

Get some chainsaw trousers if the blankets too expensive.

Just seen your maths, now if im correct which i may not be as im shattered, if you were to have used that 22cm pulley at a 53x ratio, at 7000rpm the charger would be doing 370000rpm which is way over what turbos normally run at. You'd be wanting more like a 1/15 so 7k would be 105k rpm. Turbos run at 100-140000rpm

That is unless you've worked out what ratio the is from crank to powersteering pump.

Yeah morgey i worked it out after wards because for some reason i had it being 4.3x in my head but when i actually was like hang on a second and did it again i was like jesus. Which is why i said that one would be overkill haha :p Looking for a smaller one atm. Could always use a bike sprocket since im using a bike derailleur i suppose. But then would a bike chain be strong enough? I would probably need a motorcycle chain

Ahh thats cool then, could have been a disaster waiting to happen :lol:

You could always run twin chains if using a bike chain

Yeah if could have been haha :D Yeah i could but i don't have much space to work with if any at all. Im lucky this turbo is so small and fits under the hood. Anything bigger wouldn't fit there at all haha :p

what are you trying to achieve ... lagless power ? Seems like a lot of hassle to go to when you've got a turbo with more then enough boost for the taking :p interesting none the less :)

Also check what the max rpm and pressure rating of the turbo is. could shatter and damage. If you find out what material it is I could calc it I'm an engineer :p

The turbo I'm using I've looked online has next to no information about it anywhere :/ just trying to do something different :) considering I'm putting it all together at work with bits laying around any boost is an accomplishment :)