• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an idea, instead of running a new pulley and a new belt.. Why don't I just find somewhere to mount it and run it straight off the belt that's already there? Then I don't need to get rid of aircon and put it in its place I could just mount it somewhere else on the belt, attach a rubber bush on the end of the shaft so the bush wears out and not the belt, the bush will be easier to replace than a belt, I'll still get the step up in rpms needed so I don't see any problems in trying it, anyone thoughts on this?

Can you not just run a gear on the front of the power steer pulley and a short belt to the turbo? That way you don't need to touch much at all - just make up a few brackets and oil lines and your away? Could swap the cog size to adjust turbo shaft rpm? Bit hard to make out the space available.

Is the belt spinning in the right direction?

/edit

Lay off the beers Stu, I re read and it looks like thats what your doing.

#commentfail

Edited by Stu

Can you not just run a gear on the front of the power steer pulley and a short belt to the turbo? That way you don't need to touch much at all - just make up a few brackets and oil lines and your away? Could swap the cog size to adjust turbo shaft rpm? Bit hard to make out the space available.

Is the belt spinning in the right direction?

/edit

Lay off the beers Stu, I re read and it looks like thats what your doing.

#commentfail

Haha yeah man, but now I'm thinking why not just run off the belt that's already there.. I could just mount the turbo under neath the power steering unit somewhere and run it straight off the belt, no need for new pulleys or new belts

Out of interest though, no matter how fast an electric fan spins it will never really make boost as it is only ever pushing air but never compressing it like a conventional turbo/supercharger? Because that's the theory right? to compress air using a mechanical or electrical method? I've scratched my head about this for years and never found anything to push me to doing such a project until I come across this B69951BB-C78F-48CA-B950-F82BE27383A3_zps

This is a vortex c15 supercharger but I still don't fancy sticking £500 in to one. 😏

I'm so intrigued to see how well this turns out so please persist with it buddy and the best of luck to you sir 🙊

Out of interest though, no matter how fast an electric fan spins it will never really make boost as it is only ever pushing air but never compressing it like a conventional turbo/supercharger? Because that's the theory right? to compress air using a mechanical or electrical method? I've scratched my head about this for years and never found anything to push me to doing such a project until I come across this B69951BB-C78F-48CA-B950-F82BE27383A3_zps

This is a vortex c15 supercharger but I still don't fancy sticking £500 in to one. 😏

I'm so intrigued to see how well this turns out so please persist with it buddy and the best of luck to you sir 🙊

Thanks dude! Well it will still compress the air just spinning the impeller with a electric motor instead of gases or a pulley, as long as the impeller is spinning at the right speeds it will make boost, I'm having real trouble finding somewhere to mount this turbo.. It may be easier to actually put it in place of the aircon unit

Are you going to be running the core of the turbo? I assume you will have to as that houses the journals and oilways etc.

Just a thought, how will the shaft hold up to being loaded up with the tension of a belt? Or are you just going to try it and find out? Lol

Are you going to be running the core of the turbo? I assume you will have to as that houses the journals and oilways etc.

Just a thought, how will the shaft hold up to being loaded up with the tension of a belt? Or are you just going to try it and find out? Lol

I can't use the core of the turbo because the end of the shaft that needs to be run off the belt goes inside the core, so once its inside it can't be run off anything.. Yeah just find out I guess. But first things first trying to mount it.. Made a bracket today but after making it it sat too high and wouldn't fit under the unit above, it basically needs to sit flat right above the bolt I had the bracket attached to but then the turbo can't sit that flat, it's driving me nuts haha

Updates woohoo! :) Look what we have here fellas! This is the new location for the turbo, the bracket is bolted down and that is where the turbo will bolt onto. It wasn't bolted down yet hence why there is no video of first start up! :)IMG_00381_zpsqisknmvl.jpg

IMG_00391_zpszd3c3uzy.jpgIMG_00401_zpsq3xpee4t.jpg

Cant wait! Tomorrow im going to drill holes in the bracket so that i can bolt the turbo on and see if this puppy runs! :) So if there are no problems tomorrow there should be a video up soon of first start up!

This may well be my favourite quote ever.

Best of luck Glentwenty, I sincerely hope it runs alright. Or runs. And that you're alright. And that you're not running.

Thanks man :) hopefully it goes okay!

Are you running an oil feed to the turbo?

The oil feeds run into the core of the turbo don't they? I dont have the core so am unsure of how I'm going to do theat :p

Lol ^^ Def keen to see this. I take it you have a booost gauge ?

Will do when we get it running

I guessed as much, core houses the bearings, all that will do is chew itself to pieces as soon as it turns without a bearing to support the load. Only way it would be viable is to machine the rear housing to accept a sealed roller bearing, however I don't think that would even last long due to the lateral loading of the belt tension onto the shaft.

cant wait to see this. i suspect it is going to fail in either a boring of spectacular way. but i love your fuck it lets try approach! i can literaly picture you standing looking over your engine bay holding a beer and thinking aye this seems like abit of banter lets do it!

if your ever in the uk and decide to come to a show gimme a shout ill buy you a beer you seem like the kinda guy id get along with ha!

cant wait to see this. i suspect it is going to fail in either a boring of spectacular way. but i love your fuck it lets try approach! i can literaly picture you standing looking over your engine bay holding a beer and thinking aye this seems like abit of banter lets do it!

if your ever in the uk and decide to come to a show gimme a shout ill buy you a beer you seem like the kinda guy id get along with ha!

Sounds good haha! Wasn't able to get anything done today guys weather was horrible and had too much to do at work! I will be lookin for a bearing for the shaft soon, when I get time I will be getting the bracket ready to bolt the turbo to it so that it can stay in there! Need the bearing to keep the shaft straight, was going to use the core but the shaft I don't think is long enough to go through to the impeller with the end still out the back

Interesting to see the outcome of this! I remember a few years back a guy local to me turbodave was his old username planned on twin charging his. He'd managed to find a kit from another toyota cant for the life of me remember from what mind but he had it all ready to go on and planned on using the supercharger to spool a bigger turbo to eliminate lag. Im not sure if he decided it was too much work or just lost interest in it but he never got round to completing it sadly always wondered what the outcome would have been lol

Interesting to see the outcome of this! I remember a few years back a guy local to me turbodave was his old username planned on twin charging his. He'd managed to find a kit from another toyota cant for the life of me remember from what mind but he had it all ready to go on and planned on using the supercharger to spool a bigger turbo to eliminate lag. Im not sure if he decided it was too much work or just lost interest in it but he never got round to completing it sadly always wondered what the outcome would have been lol

I'm Really hoping this will work! Maybe it will encourage more people to start thinking out the box and trying things them selves!