EP91 Blue Spec. The Box

I fink u need to see a doctor... WTF...

Before every mod a person makes, they must have some sort of criteria before doing it. For example this guy:

RiceRiceBaby.jpg

I believe that every car enthusiast can understand each other. This is in terms of modding style - i.e. Street Creed, track spec, daily driver etc. etc. With the example above, I definately do not understand his/her modding style.

Tops to Sicaln for understanding my logic ;)

If I wanted a Starlet GT/Glanza Scoop I would of purchased the entire bonnet istead. Then I'd have to fork out $400 for a bonnet (min) then another $200 for lights... $600+ or spend $120 to get the scoop itself, mould it on and respray.

$12 will do the the "same" thing.

If I did get a GT/Glanza scoop. It would no longer be uniquely EP91. Merely a copy of glanza/Starlet Gt. Can't have that now - obviously this mod is quite contentious as for some, it rides the line between form and function....I dig this:

IMG_1161.jpg

imageposts_maisto_gtr6.jpg

Initially I wanted to go GTR styles, but I don't think the EP91 stance is wide enough to take on 2 Naca ducts? :p It would of looked cramped.

The base theme of modding the car is 'ninja' and 'Elcheapo' spec. i.e. low key and on a budget. This mod required no cutting of the bonnet support structure, allowed air to be ducted directly into the TMIC and is low profile enough to not take any notice in the distance.

1618_2lo.jpg

Come the day an FMIC maybe in order, I can merely reverse the lourve and use it to depense heat. Raising the bonnet has been proven ineffective with regards to air pressure for the radiator.

Image.jpg

In this essence, I believe the choice of method for directing cold air to the TMIC has appealed to my criteria.

Each to their own I guess.....All I know is that I want to be as far away from this guy as possible:

0aac_1.JPG

Update:

I've been pretty lazy/busy with regards to getting the 100,000km service done.

Since installing the mushroom Filter, i've noticed that there is some retarding in acceleration on cold nights? ....hmmm. Quite annoying. Could be that Fuel Cut / Boost Creep or what ever issue that has been touched on many times. Will return air intake system to stock.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

GGIII.T @ The 100,000km Service

Got the box taken to Kmart Tire and Auto in Newy - they also were the people who helped pick the lock of the car when I accidentally locked the keys in there :blink:. So they are automatically champions. 8)

Whilst burning down time at the shopping center, I get a call from the Kmart dudes.

"Yo dude. Bad news. We found the following...." *Deep breath.

1. There is Oil in your cooling system

2. Diff oil seal is leaking

3. One of your tires has a puncture

4. The water pump is DEAD

5. You require to replace the engine seals. Leaking badly.

Me: Can you fix them?

Dude: Yes.

Me: Sweet.

Kmart people are cool. Ranga's FTW!

The Kmart dude that worked on the Starlet used to work at a turbo performance shop and mentioned that "She's a neat little thing to drive around...could probably use an FMIC and a bigger turbo LOL" :( ... I put her on Low Boost. Didn't want her to be abused.

Total Damage:

$-663.85

I probably should of replaced the water pump, and seals when the engine was out....but in our haste didn't.

'Engine oil in the coolant system = HEAPS uncool'. Could be because the Seals weren't changed prior? Now that they are, hopefully the Engine Oil in Coolant System doesn't rear it's ugly head again...

GGIII.T @ 100,800km in Newy.

• 3 weeks later...

u]Head Gasket Change & Dump Pipe Install @ 1013xx km

So I've booked the Starletto into Kmart once again to this time replace the head gasket. It's taken a while to get her fixed, but I've been told that today she is being put back together.

The Kmart dude that I have used to work at a Turbo place, so he knows a thing or two about snails (i.e. CT9 Turbo).

The Engine was pretty much pulled apart and the heads + head gaskets were sent to a local place for analysis. It took all of yesterday, which meant the Box was idle at Kmart :blink:

Results came back and it was definately a failed head gasket. Lucky we got onto that problem quick smart. Kmart dude is also going to install the Ebay Spec turbo dump pipe-a-matronic - apparently the stock dump is very restrictive, so I paid $100 delivered from the US for an ebay jobbie!! $_$ = :D

Unfortunately, I do not actually know the damage of the whole gasket change - but considering there is a lot of labour involved, I was given an estimate of about $1500 - 1600. OMFG. - Oh well. It seems I have fallen in love with this heap of crap and am willing to see her through her days.

Quick review of what has happened so far:

Nov: Purchase the BOX in N/A Form. $4000

Dec: Tracked the BOX in N/A form @ Winton (2.01 mins in stock form. Reference Grey Goose (1zzfe) @ 1.58 with coils + Cai)

Feb: Moved to Newy

April: Purchase and installed Tein's & Random strut bars

May: Engine Swap $3000

Present: All this random maintence - 100,000km service & Head gasket = est. $2500 (#_#)

So luckily I got some tax back in time :D

-ALSO: Finally got back in contact with Ken @ Kenlowe.com.au about Naca ducts I purchased 2 months ago. Apparently he foudn the transaction and I should be getting the NACA duct in the post soon.

I've given up on the Air Filter Mushroom - it is way too annoying to hear "WHOOOOOSH" everytime i change gears. The novaltiy wears off very quickly. I'll just cut out another make shift hole in the bonnet and arrange a duct to go towards the air box. I tell you what, the Bonnet is coping a mutiliation this year LOL!!

Future Tests:

- Dyno

- Winton Track attack (sub 2min (aka. 1:50 - 1:55) Reference GGII: Gamera WRX GC8 = 1:53 )

GGIII.T @ Kmart Tire and Auto.

Thanks mate. I'm pretty sure we ( My little bro and I ) can rack in the GC8 time - primarily due to little/ no fear. The starlet doesn't really suffer from chronic understeer as much as the GC8 does, and I'm in a fairly good finanical position as opposed to the good old 'ohh my god!! I can't really afford to crash this car' days.

The Autobahn88 dump pipe seems to open up the turbo a little bit more. She sounds more keen to boost ;) Good work Ebay !

• 2 months later...

Update:

Whilst in Melbourne...

I got a cheapo set of wannabe wantanabes! :twisted:

Mazda

14X5.5 +45. 12.3lb

29266230112_large.jpg

Also, I'm going to try to create an under body tray in the pursuit of science and cheap entrainment.

Using flute board from bunnings at $7 each for a 2 x 2 m (i think) - it is a relatively cheap experiment.

This should provide/test the following:

1. Give me better economy due to reduced turbulent under body air flow

2. Give me a higher top speed on the track.

Here is the basic picture for the aero under tray:

107773_15lo.jpg

Might just do the front first, and then see what happens

Also will trial this as well...

Honda_Accord_Underbody_Tire_Air_Dam.jpg

29266230113_large.jpg

Shame I'll need spacers...the offset is 45. Will probably need a 5mm spacer (probably floating) in order to bring the offset to managable levels.

Fuel Economy Update: 6.4L per 100km. Not too bad. Will do a few more tanks to get a bare base line prior to the flute board experiment.

• 2 months later...

Update:

The Fuel gauge is fixed!!

I was just puttering around and thought to myself - why should i just fumble around with the wires if I know that the correct fuel wire is just linked to the 'empty fuel light' in the dash? Couldn't I just switch the dash wires around? ....So 1 year later...

29266230118_large.jpg

Fuel Consumption

Seems to be going well these days, just as long as I don't fully boost her around town etc.

29266230119_large.jpg

I managed 6.3 odd L/100 off the last tank whilst picking up the latest mod - A 2.5" Toyota Sportivo Muffler! Woot woot. Hopefully this baffled design will allow the Starlet to Idle more gingerly, even though she is still idling a little bit high (i.e. 1.1K RPM? )

9fba_1.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate. Here are some updates:

Project Scoop

In the midst of a track day, I bought a Nissan Patrol Bonnet Scoop. Heaps of props to the EXE Crew for offering me their insights and help for this install.

Highlights.

First drill hole = fail.

Drilled holes = Nuts not long enough = fail.

Bush Mechanic skills.

I was very determined to get this mod up and running before the weekend, luckily Bunnings is open until 8PM on sundays!!

Apologies for the bad photos - Camera phone on night mode = fail.

So - I ended up creating a splitter like function to cover/ block any excess air that would pass over the already pre-cut hole the good old reliable Bunnings spec grill was occuping.

Highlighted in the yellow box, i used the rear plastic from an S13 (Dez's shell) and cut it down to size. - This is pretty much to replicate a simplistic version of the WRX TMIC splitter

wrx_splitter_3.jpg

19TrackdayMods1.jpg

In the future, will probably raid Clarke Rubber to cover those edges as well. Further, will have to go there and buy Foam for the underside of the bonnet...

19TrackdayMods.jpg

You can see that the Patrol Scoop Fibre glass is visible under neith the bonnet. In the future, this will be dremmelled out - more air into TMIC = win.

Whilst the bonnet was up, I did this as well. Quick 5 second mod - air hose to air filter.

19TrackdayModsairpod.jpg

Action night time shot - Part EP91 / Part EP82 / Part Nissan Patrol.

rt.i.nissan.patrol.white.d.a.640.480.JPG

19TrackdayMods2.jpg

It looks alright at night time - hopefully the scoop won't be too visible with a MATTBLACK bonnet LOL :roll: Will get some day time pics up for reference soon

Templates are easy to find...

DSC00983.jpg

Thanks to Dan for providing the foam action - the self adhesives are STRONG as!! ...

DSC00988.jpg

The templates were drawn on colour bond steel sheeting which was left over from our Patio installation a few years ago. Thanks to dad for hoarding random materials. - it must run in the family.

TMIC all covered :surrender:

DSC00985.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

THanks for the warm comments guys!

Saturday 24 May 2009 - EXE & Circuit Club Winton Track Day

How exciting!

Pretty much smack bang on the 1 year mark, GGIII.T has been turbo. The Starlet finished her conversion May 20 2008 whilst I was undergoing placement in Newcastle.

Prior to that, however in the same year, the Tein coilovers were also installed.

To say that I was looking forward to this day is pretty much an understatement. The culmination of all our work had finally arrived!

Please see below for the results (in session order):

Passenger and Streets

02:01.9 01:57.7 01:58.8 02:00.5

Passenger and Streets

02:08.3 01:59.8 02:00.3 01:54.2 02:04.2

Passenger and Streets

01:55.4 01:54.2 01:53.9 01:52.9 01:53.6

Passenger and Streets *Fail*

02:00.1 02:00.8 02:12.1 02:05.0 02:14.4

Semis

01:59.1 01:52.2 01:51.2 01:56.7 01:51.3

Semis

02:12.1 01:56.0 01:56.8 ...Red Flag

Thoughts of the day:

- It was raining PB's!

- Passengers

- Semis ROCK

- Starlet rocked.

- EXE Track days will forever rock.

I guess that concludes the Project Starlet for me. At the end of the track day she started to blow a little bit of white smoke, which is indication that the turbo is getting old and probably needs to retire and tag team out.

The final tail was meant to be a Dyno run and finally a quarter Mile time, however due to the above condition I have decided to end her journey on a high.

I've placed her for sale on the Sister AU Starlet Club site, and am hoping that she will find a good home there - either as a project or a donation car for parts.

Maybe I'll find some excuse to track the next car....I don't think the track day bug has been completed deplenished yet :twisted:

• 1 month later...

Thanks mate, it was a great feeling driving her on the track and feeling how all our bush mechanic skills have put her together!

Hopefully my little brother will continue on with the track attacking.

In true Fast and Furial style, he has been 'dreaming' of owning a Supra. However, he first wants to experience a 'cheaper ' RWD, such as a S13 Silvia. This is great because we have experience in FF and AWD. I guess it is his turn to continue our 'track day education' biggrin.gif

The Starlet is still in my front yard unfortunately. It is currently on Ebay at the moment and it appears that there are heaps of tire kickers out there, which is a shame. The 'For sale' advertisement ends in 1 day, hopefully there will be something 'acceptable' that comes out of the 21 watchers on Ebay.

fair do's reading through this project youve done quite a lot shame to see it go on ebay :) i would buy it but im in the stupid UK and skint haha :) loved most of the DiY work!! i try to get some done myself too, pennies are hard to come by at the moment

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...