Scott's Glanza - Project Outlaw - "In For The Build"

Yeah mine is running wepr ramhorn with ext gate and screamer and it's savage I love it, just having problems at the moment with sealing the turbo to the mani and downpipe the gaskets I have are shitty so it sounds like a tractor lol and I've a broken mid section in my exhaust from speed ramps :(

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

An overdue update.

Well, it's a little late, but there's been a few changes made to the car so it's about time for an update.

The car was taken down to Tuning Developments on the 16th of January to have a Greddy EMB and a GFB EBC fitted and all mapped in. It was a nice drive down with very little traffic, which made it all the more pleasant. The guys took my details and told me how it was gonna go down, and then swiftly got on with the work.

It made 196bhp and around 190ft/lb of torque, figures that I was very pleased with (even more so due to winning the bet between me and the girlfriend about what power it would make! :p )

The GFB boost controller is a very good piece of kit too, a nice small little unit that's not too intrusive on the dash, and provides a noticeable difference even with the little CT9.

3B9D3DC7-79AB-49C9-8A55-9AE2232E24CD_zps

The progress then continued, removing the rear wing to fit the carbon number plate panel, removing the reversing lights in the process. It was an easy enough job to do, and looks a whole lot better in my opinion.

2184C44C-B9BD-421F-95DD-A3FBD1D23B56_zps

D175E2F1-D7BD-4904-85E6-CF8B9AF2C6DB_zps

She looks so bare without the wing!

8F907A7D-9003-48FB-930A-4C24B3B4C4E3_zps

FA9763DB-E653-4EAF-A9C2-444E2F31A649_zps

While the wing was off, I took the opportunity to paint the wing mounts black, making it look a little stealthier and just improving the overall look of the rear.

Moving on to the front of the car, we finally got the front air release panel fitted, which again was another easy job.

0739D3A9-19D0-4B8D-8C2F-F6B25988D276_zps

3DB8280A-0179-4200-B9AB-B57E7E58A41B_zps

The number plate panel was then cut from the front bumper after the purchase of a stick on plate, though there are no pictures of this. It looks so much better now and makes me wish I done it a lot earlier, but at least it's done, again, a small modification making such a difference to the appearance of the car.

I picked up a set of RPF1's a few weeks ago too, which were silver when I got them, so decided to have them refurbed in gloss black, going for a 'stealthy' look.

D987368F-D70A-417C-A1FA-DD45A170D4BE_zps

The 'stealthy' look on the wheels didn't last all that long due to painting the tires in with a paint pen, which looked great for a few hours, but soon wore off with some 'spirited' driving... I have ordered some whitewall tyre paint though and hope it will last a little longer this time without flaking off.

23054CB8-3ACE-4341-A5CE-9BF2B584A707_zps

That's all for now, so not a great load of progress, but it's all going in the right direction. I love the way the car is looking now, and for all it seems to get the stangest of looks parking at the shops or driving down the high street, I must admit I love the attention it gets, even if it is very divided opinions.

I'll end this one with a couple pics from a local meet the other night;

BCCC8B05-16D0-4412-99FB-6BF73D45228B_zps

3DC11CCA-3CDE-43F2-82A6-09BD0CA1B425_zps

And one lurking in the shadows, just for good measure :spiteful:

9064CBA8-D648-418A-A5AA-B111B640F6D4_zps

Thanks for reading,

Scott. :thumbsup:

Looks Great Scott! :)

Get this on a track!

Thanks mate, she's getting there!

Sadly I missed out on track time at Japfest, but will be getting as much track time in as I can this year. Should hopefully be getting fully caged in the near future too :)

Aero looks good! Not really a fan of big wings and aero on small hatches but actually quite like that

Il hopefully be doing a few days at Combe later in the year when mines done, will be good to see this!

Update time again.

Another update today. Came in from nightshift and the weather was too good to miss out on, so went out and got the canards fitted up. Nice easy little job and didn't take long at all for a good result and a nice upgrade on the front end.

184241CB-57A8-4487-BC3E-3658743D46EE_zps

E34DF7BA-8500-4FB7-BE1D-ADEB657E3830_zps

I went to bed for a few hours, waking up to find my dad had saved me a job and tinted my front and rear lights, something I was wanting to do for a while to give the car a more savage look. As you can see from the picture above, the lights aren't too dark compared to normal, but give a nice mean look.

E00FF9BC-72D7-44A0-B36A-D04108A081A4_zps

2AE04E26-4B6F-4F2C-A461-51060686107D_zps

The rear lights were tinted just enough to darken the rear end down a little, blending in with the bootlid and the carbon panel.

562B3052-0F05-4608-99C9-5A5D8D703D3E_zps

Last but not least was something I done just for a little bit of fun. The intercooler needs cleaning up anyway, but until I take it off to clean it all properly, I made a stencil and painted it gloss black... I actually like it more than I thought, so may even decide to make another one after it;s all been cleaned, but time will tell.

5F88F3C7-549E-4445-8CFA-EC57F5F5D62A_zps

As always, all comments and criticism is openly accepted, and I realise it may not be to everyone's taste, but it's nice to be different sometimes.

Scott :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Update time again

Nothing major, but as always, any progress is good progress. I've ordered my full roll cage from Safety Devices, a 15 point MSA and FIA approved item including door bars, harness bar, diagonal braces etc, so that should be here around the end of March, so if all goes well it should be fitted before Japfest!

I have also received my Lifeline LED rain light, which will be used in replacement of the original fog light with it being much brighter and much more visible once mounted to the cross brace on my wing.

1DF1375C-C61A-43A0-9462-15B8646B7886_zps

EE782DFD-78E0-46B9-BD0D-769920B1FDF4_zps

I must thank my girlfriend for this one, as for valentine's day we both decided that we may aswell get something that we are both after, so she kindly bought me a reverse scoop from ID Workz, which to me looks much better than the standard scoop.

F188DBCC-D002-484F-869F-2FBD6F24E998_zps

3AB5D999-F044-4672-BCD9-3361F5ACC1B0_zps

Managed to pick up an RSR strut brace on the cheap, so gave it just a quick polish and fitted it to the car.

582A4DEA-9FBF-4AE3-A6AE-E338FA1C04AD_zps

8CB2F39A-326D-4EBE-8A35-3ACE49FD89B1_zps

Other than that, it's been pretty quiet for the Glanza, it's getting a full alignment and setup on Saturday, so should drive much better, and will then see about removing the manifold, rocker cover and inlet manifold etc to get them cleaned and painted, just to tidy the engine bay up a little. Have already removed the tyre paint as I've tried two different methods now, one being a paint pen and the other supposedly for white wall tyres, and both flaked off within around 20 miles, so for the final try I will be using Plasti Dip, which should adhere much better!

As mentioned, it's nothing really exciting, but it's all progress.

Thanks for reading, and I'll leave you all with one of my favourite recent pictures of the car.

93D27325-5619-4F5A-83C4-EF7C7E933129_zps

Just seen your wing pass the van on the Gateshead stretch I'm stuck in that bastard traffic!

Haha yeah the traffic was bad that day, didn't see you mind!

cage is going to be megga im umming and arring over ordering one from rhd for mine :)

I ordered mine from Corby Motorsport, can't wait for it to arrive so I can get it fitted! :D I'd say get one :rolleyes:

Edited by scott-d-

Update time.

Another update, something a little more substantial this time (albeit no pictures yet...)

I have finally bit the bullet and ordered my turbo upgrade, a TD04 kit from Race-Tech. I can't wait to get it fitted and mapped, and even though I'm only on standard internals I can't wait for the power increase and the sound of that screamer! :D

It should be here early next week, so in the mean time I can get the CT9 kit stripped off and cleaned up ready for sale, and also see about painting the block/rocker cover etc.

• 1 month later...

Update Time! - It's Been a While!

Well, it's been a while, but it's about time for an update I think!

The last time I posted, I stated I was ordering my TD04 kit from Race-Tech, well, that's all fitted, along with a race spec rocker, freshly painted in wrinkle black :)

I also changed out the Apex'i filter for a K&N kit instead, which is absolutely HUGE in comparison! (although the photo's don't really show this too good)

3EBD1437-71CD-4FB4-BC23-43E46EB6FDC3_zps

36D1B1D7-3806-405F-B251-36FD8E660867_zps

I also set about fitting a set of carbon fibre eyebrows too, which compliment the tinted headlights greatly, and while I was on, had the fog lights tinted yellow.

0661B7E0-F7C3-4751-B972-BACA91836D28_zps

Next up was all of the smaller touches, fitting a set of quick release bumper clips, my window stickers, the flat custom door cards and painting the stripped interior. All of these are only little things, but make a rather large difference, especially the door cards and painted rear!

E2BD239B-C191-426C-A6B9-91BFEFDE09AE_zps

96D640A6-2178-4669-B931-6C57625CB2C3_zps

E370E7CF-AA87-406F-A53D-2F7F277C7CF1_zps

565E05DD-4AE9-45D5-A14F-0F2721A80945_zps

Since all of this, the car has been down to Tuning Developments for mapping, making 236.4BHP at just under 1bar. I'm moe than happy with this figure for now, and have decided that more handling mods will come next.

Obviously with extra power, you need extra braking ability, and although I already had grooved/dimpled discs and Greenstuff pads, it just wasn't enough, and so I ordered TD's 'Fast Road' kit, consisting of EBC Yellowstuff front pads, EBC 'Turbo' dimpled/grooved discs, high temp racing fluid, a HEL 6 piece braided line kit.

9D4BBD72-365B-4E39-8F48-86C2F2DF04B4_zps

There is still a lot more to do to the car, but as always, I'm in no hurry, I'm just enjoying seeing the progress. Before Japfest, I still need to paint the rest of the interior and strip the rest of the carpet out, fit the brake kit, and fit the cage when it arrives (hopefully early enough before Japfest!)

See you all on the 24th!

• 3 months later...

Very much overdue update!

Wow, it's been a while since this was updated! A fair bit has changed, but the biggest update will be coming in the next couple months, so, let's recap what's happened since the last update.

1. As some of you may have noticed, the car was featured in Japanese Performance magazine in June, although at this point it was very early in the build, so was very much nowhere near finished! That being said, it was still a pleasure to be noticed, and for her to get a feature, as she is still very "different" in her own right.

2. The Evo Recaro's were removed and replaced with a set of FIA/MSA approved OMP TRS fixed bucket seats. Custom mounts were made and as it's only me that drives the car, they didn't need to slide, so this made fitting them so much easier!

3. The cage finally arrived! After receiving it on a pallet straight from the factory in Europe, we proceeded to strip the car as much as possible to make the fitting a little easier. We got the mounts welded in, then bolted the rest of the cage into place, and the quality is absolutely superb! It's also FIA/MSA approved, a bonus, but well worth it for the price!

4. Only something small this time, but I got the D1 spec quick release steering boss fitted. Although only a small modification, it made a big difference, as anyone who knows me will know I'm not of a "slight" build, and so getting in and out of the car was made much easier, especially considering the fixed buckets and the door bars.

Modification wise, there wasn't much else done due to shows, although I did then get the chance to get her on track at Japfest 2 at Rockingham, where it performed very well, even with a slight misfire and a worn gearbox! I performed a laptime of 1m 34s, not bad considering it was the first time on track with the car, with no prior setup apart from how it was setup for the road, and that was on T1R's, including me missing 3rd a few times...

Following this and reviewing the footage (mine and goldenvtr's from his boosted MX5), I could already tell the car was very planted, and that with a few adjustments it had the potential to be quite competitive.

So, this is where the main update lies. I didn't like the idea of the gearbox wearing, and replacing it with a standard 'box would only solve the problem for a short amount of time, so I decided on a solution, albeit an expensive one!

So, to summarise, in late August, she will be taken to Tuning Developments for:

• Quaife ATB LSD

• Quaife sequential gearbox
• Stage 2 forged engine with uprated valvesprings and ARP headbolts
• Wolf V550 standalone engine management

• Hybrid TD04 turbo with billet wheel
• Full mapping and test session to set the 'box up

I can't wait to get it finished and get the car back, it's going to be a big bill, but I'll finally have a fully custom car which is unique to me, and that I have built from a standard car in less than a year!

Before she goes down, I will be sorting some paintwork on the passenger side to tidy her up a little (from damage caused by the previous owner), and have smoothed the reverse scoop into the bonnet which will also receive some paint. A new livery will be applied following this, something a little less "in your face" and should hopefully look a little meaner with the darker colour scheme.

I will upload pictures and videos in the morning as I'm currently sat at work, but that's all for now!

Thanks for reading, happy motoring!

Scott 8)

Very different mate and lovely. I can understand how the look is 50/50 for some people but fair play for doing your own thing. Reading through the whole lot you can see the attention to detail and amount of graft that's gone into it. The sequential box will be unreal. By the way did you paint the rear plastics yourself?

Fair play mate! Some build! Looking forward to the August update

Be sure to check back mate, I'll throw the pictures and video up in the morning, thanks for taking an interest!

Very different mate and lovely. I can understand how the look is 50/50 for some people but fair play for doing your own thing. Reading through the whole lot you can see the attention to detail and amount of graft that's gone into it. The sequential box will be unreal. By the way did you paint the rear plastics yourself?

Yeah, it's definitely a marmite car, you either love it or hate it, but you can't suit everyone's taste, and as it shows, sometimes it's better to stand out from the crowd a little. The sequential 'box is definitely my favourite part that'll be fitted, I can't wait to see how it feels! As for the rear plastics, do you mean the shock tower covers? If so then yes mate I painted them myself, simply keyed and primed, then painted with satin black straight out the gun :). Thanks for the kind words, it's nice to see hard work is appreciated!

Mental.

That's what I'm aiming for with the finished product, cheers man.

Ah that's how you got such a nice finish on them ;) yep, love a bit of attention to detail. Never heard of a sequential box in one of these but even at the same power it'll be a hell of a lot quicker I imagine. I like cars a little more understated nowadays but still have that mental side too. Think if I ever get my old gt4 back then I'd go mad with that

Ah that's how you got such a nice finish on them ;) yep, love a bit of attention to detail. Never heard of a sequential box in one of these but even at the same power it'll be a hell of a lot quicker I imagine. I like cars a little more understated nowadays but still have that mental side too. Think if I ever get my old gt4 back then I'd go mad with that

Not bad for my first time really, finish was nice and even with no runs or patches :) Yeah from what Mike has said, he hasn't fitted one to a Glanza before, so I think I may be one of the first to run a Quaife sequential, so that'll be something new! I'd estimate I'll be running around the 300bhp mark, I'm at 236 now and she pulls superb, but there's always room for improvement! Yeah, when I first got it, I didn't have too many crazy plans, but the more I looked about the more I decided I wanted something slightly mental, and here we are haha! Still lots to do, but she's nearing completion now!