Right, now that everyone is free from the bullshit that ended up being the UKSC, I thought I should come back and start posting again. For those who don’t know me, I used to be about on here quite a bit, and was even an admin and a trader at one point. If any of you have TC Tuning bits on your car, that's me. I've always loved starlets and have been here since day one (I think my membership number is 12 or something ^^) and was one of the original lot who moved over from the TOC when we were all fed up with how that site was (ironically) run. Rob also likes giving me handjobs.

I used to have a pretty nice Glanza, which looking at the calibre of some on here today would just be considered decent. The starlet scene has moved on quite a bit in my absence…

I thought I should start a build thread, even though I don't have a starlet.

Here is my Eunos - it started out as a piece of shit, and hopefully will end up a rather nice track toy.

No comments about hairdressing or being homosexual please.

it all started when i bought this, because MX5's are fun to drive and it was cheap:

tumblr_m5ntzoPXxJ1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

...which was pretty rubbish.

I put those Panasport ProRallys on, as the previous owner wanted the Daisy's that were on it.

I then proceeded to put it in the garage, and take it apart to smarten it up a bit, and things went a bit OCD... I ended up with a shell ^^

tumblr_m3npq9uGBu1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

tumblr_m1rdjmdw4S1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

tumblr_m1tl0kEmMN1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

the underside was in good condition, but quite rusty in places, so i got to sorting it out with some converter, underseal and cavity wax.

from this:

tumblr_m2h8i2t5l31r2q8hjo1_1280.png

tumblr_m5ntsjPm3X1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

to some grinding:

tumblr_m3npw1KTKo1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

to the finished article:

tumblr_m2w3llaqLR1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

this happened under the entire car.

tumblr_m2w3nezOxi1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

to do this, i had to take out all wishbones, subframes, prob and diff etc, and while they were out i thought i should smarten them up a bit as they were looking a bit shit. first of all i sorted the diff out as i wanted to refurb it.

CV Cups, before and after:

tumblr_m1i69eaiDw1r2q8hjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m1i69eaiDw1r2q8hjo3_1280.jpg

These are all painted black now, as well as the drive shafts etc, but i didnt take any photos.

i then rebuilt the rear calipers with all new seals, this job was horrible, dont do it.

tumblr_m13y9uigg21r2q8hjo1_1280.png

next up was the diff itself. the stock one was open, and therefore useless. i wanted an LSD.

enter this little beauty, a TorSen LSD:

tumblr_m2h8cygWbG1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

i needed new seals and stuff, and also a clean up as it looked like shit.

diff split and removed the bushings..

tumblr_m2h8fiFjWT1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

tumblr_m58idrQAbH1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

i dont have pics of the rebuild, as i had my halds full, but essentially everything is replaced with new OEM Mazda parts, except the diff mounts, as rubber bushings are for gays. so i put MMR Delrin bushes in, because racecar.

tumblr_m3jm47kkJ11r2q8hjo1_1280.png

the diff was rebuilt with all new Stainless hardware, as i FUCKING HATE rusty bolts.

tumblr_m5rmo9DUtQ1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

tumblr_m5rmqscOF41r2q8hjo1_1280.png

with the diff sorted, i moved onto the wishbones. as i said earlier, rubber mounts are for homos, so were fully polybushing these sombitches.

tumblr_m9mfetnIYW1r2q8hjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9mfhsrsGP1r2q8hjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9iz1qyMIc1r2q8hjo1_1280.jpg

and after an acid dip, shot blast, zinc coat and 2 coasts of powder. we have these.

20120926-223850.jpg

i had everything done, including the fronts, but i dont have pics. no idea why.

the components used were Energy Suspension polybushes, as they are supposed to be the best.

the only issue with floating polybushes is servicing, they need regreasing once a year, and if anyone has changed theirs on here, youll know how much of a prick it is. there is 18 bushes just on the wishbones on an MX5 as they are quite complex. i decided to add some zerks to them to help with maintenance.

20120930-180915.jpg

20120930-180930.jpg

20120930-180942.jpg

winner.

now that the arms are sorted, i decided to start on the hubs... the rear bearings are prone to dieing on MX5s that see lots of hard driving due to heat transfer, so i have opted for new bearings, however i am going to rebuild them with some high grade bearing grease that shouldnt baulk under high temps.

this required the hubs to be stripped and cleaned. they will also be polybushed and painted for protection.

top one is how they came off the car, bottom one is stripped.

tumblr_m9mfuhiMde1r2q8hjo1_1280.jpg

that is pretty much it for the mechanics side of things... its a long old slog getting this how i want it...

the only other thing ive done is begin painting it as i dont like red, and changing the bonnet. MX5s have a real high pressure build up at the front of the engine bay when driving at speed. this can really hinder cooling as air struggles to get through the radiator. to help with this, you cut a hole in the bonnet to allow a flow. or if you are a baller, you buy a Garage Vary bonnet.

tumblr_m660zoSE8Z1r2q8hjo1_1280.png

the car is going to be RAL 5023, which is kind of a grey/blue colour. it will also be a satin finish, so will look baller.

heres what ive done so far...

20120921-093052.jpg

20120921-093023.jpg

thats it, were pretty much up to date....

More to follow as it happens.

Edited by StarletRick

Still sad that I never got to see that in the flesh.

Noone ever did, tbh I'm pretty sure it was all a lie. Also, I got a Veyron after my Starlet, but it was too fast etc so I sold it.

As for the MX5, (you cock loving hairdresser) I'm more impressed here than when you were telling me the other day, it actually looks quite decent for a pile of shit.

If I wouldn't have a mouthful of flies afterwards I'd actually be quite looking forward to being a passenger for blaps.

I'm rather impressed that you didn't spend about 4 hours getting sidetracked talking about aerodynamics etc yet aswell, keep it up.

no mate, I got rid of the S15 and got a GTR32. I then got rid of that as it was a licence loser at 642hp.

I've got a remapped 335d as my daily now. 335hp/470ft is a win ^^

The S15 was a beauty!

Can't go wrong with a BM as a daily. Remapped 335Ds go very well, I've got a 530D myself. Planned to have it remapped but I've never got round to it.

Noone ever did, tbh I'm pretty sure it was all a lie. Also, I got a Veyron after my Starlet, but it was too fast etc so I sold it.

As for the MX5, (you cock loving hairdresser) I'm more impressed here than when you were telling me the other day, it actually looks quite decent for a pile of shit.

If I wouldn't have a mouthful of flies afterwards I'd actually be quite looking forward to being a passenger for blaps.

I'm rather impressed that you didn't spend about 4 hours getting sidetracked talking about aerodynamics etc yet aswell, keep it up.

HEY BILL. FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING JEW.

lol

Nice project rick!

Going all out too! Is it 1.6 or 1.8? Is it going turbo or sc?

Also I may have interrupted something in my battered state at JAE when I visited you at about 2 in the morning. I can't remember a lot, so, Sorry about that!

Rich, I vaguely recall you pretty much getting in our tent even though we were both asleep. i was expecting, at the very least, some bumming - you dissapointed me.

as for the yunos, ive kind of gone a bit over the top with it in that it is a shell up rebuild. i wish i never started it... moneypit.com

the overall goal is to have a reliable car i can track and learn a bit more about how to keep it alive, and more importantly to improve it as i go along to try and find real-world gains. the mx5 is great for this, as they are cheap and have an amazing chassis for the money.

its a 1.6 at the minute, but im probably going to stick a bastardised 1.8 in. early block, later head, fully built internals etc. and obviously its going to be boosted as its me ^^

superchargers are gay, so ill be going turbo. not sure what one yet, but it will all be vband when it happens.

that is miles off yet though, i want to get the chassis sorted out and dialed in with the stock 1.6 first.

Ha! Yeah, I was wankered, and would have most likely been easy prey.

I remember vaigely admiring the bimmer from a far before staggering off. Can't remember much else. Other than hassling rob on numerous occasions.

Sounds like a lot of fun. A pal of mine has a 1.8 and it loves abuse. Revving its tits off everywhere. I heard they're pretty easy to boost without opening the motor at all aren't they?

Disnt Harrison have a sc'd mk2 at some point?

Had i known that, i would have taken advantage of you, violently.

they do boost nicely to a point, but reliability can be an issue once you get them up over 250hp (or 350hp if youre american ^^).

harry had a SC'd one ye, but he took the sc off and sold it, so now its just NA screamy lulz.

Right, I just spent the best part of the morning refitting the back end after having it all appart and (to my gf's dismay) all over the house in various stages of repair.

I feel enlightened. like i have achieved a great goal. i feel wonderful, like a new man. i also swore a lot as the diff is FUCKING HEAVY ERMAGERD.

all the poly bushes are in, all the zerks work, Flyin'Miata roll bar is in along with polybushings/zerks.

every single bolt and nut has been replaced. the alignment bolts are all new from mazda. where possible, ive upgraded the bolts to at least 8.8 grade zinc coated bolts and nyloc nuts.

all i need to do now is finish off rebuilding the hubs...

anyway, photos.

20121013-144621.jpg

20121013-144631.jpg

20121013-144640.jpg

20121013-144650.jpg

20121013-144659.jpg

20121013-144707.jpg

20121013-144715.jpg

20121013-144723.jpg

20121013-144745.jpg

20121013-144753.jpg

Edited by StarletRick